Panasonic DMR EZ48v - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear AVSers,
I have a EZ 48 that I use as the tuner for my Sony analog TV - no problems there. The DVD section of the EZ 48 is the problem. Probably a year ago the DVD section started making the classic
noise of trying to read a DVD disk and then the no read message. I continued to use the player as my TV tuner and the EZ 48 stopped making the DVD no read noise. It still didn't read DVD's, but at least it didn't make the noise. It will still play VCR tapes. About 2 weeks ago I decided to try to repair the unit after checking online for info. I pulled the cover off the DVD section and observed that the
laser was a faint glow (I was careful to not look directly at the laser). I bought a optical unit and installed it, but still the no read message although no noise. I removed the DVD player cover and inserted a DVD disk holding the disk to the spindle with my fingers. The laser was visible through the disk, so that's working. What should I be looking for next? I'm thinking that what ever controls the movement
of the optical unit has a problem - probably from my ignoring the no read noise without doing a repair. The fact that it stopped making the noise probably indicates that something else is wrong. The
optical/laser unit motor appears to work. Is the circuit board attached to the DVD player the culprit? Thanks in advance for any help!
pkoaktown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoaktown View Post

Dear AVSers,
I have a EZ 48 that I use as the tuner for my Sony analog TV - no problems there. The DVD section of the EZ 48 is the problem. Probably a year ago the DVD section started making the classic
noise of trying to read a DVD disk and then the no read message. I continued to use the player as my TV tuner and the EZ 48 stopped making the DVD no read noise. It still didn't read DVD's, but at least it didn't make the noise. It will still play VCR tapes. About 2 weeks ago I decided to try to repair the unit after checking online for info. I pulled the cover off the DVD section and observed that the
laser was a faint glow (I was careful to not look directly at the laser). I bought a optical unit and installed it, but still the no read message although no noise. I removed the DVD player cover and inserted a DVD disk holding the disk to the spindle with my fingers. The laser was visible through the disk, so that's working. What should I be looking for next? I'm thinking that what ever controls the movement
of the optical unit has a problem - probably from my ignoring the no read noise without doing a repair. The fact that it stopped making the noise probably indicates that something else is wrong. The
optical/laser unit motor appears to work. Is the circuit board attached to the DVD player the culprit? Thanks in advance for any help!
pkoaktown

This 2008 post should answer your questions:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page