are Panasonic DVD drives compatible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DMR-XW450 recorder that has a faulty dvd drive. Panasonic want $300 for a new one. I can buy a cheap second hand recorder for about $50 but it is a DMR-ex77.
Do any of you guys know if the DVD drive is compatible to switch over
Sambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Generally, in N. America anyway, DVD drives are interchangeable within model years of Panasonics, also if you have a HDD Panasonic you must use a DVD drive out of a HDD Panasonic, IOW no switching between the two types. No guarantees but thats what I've seen in the US.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo23101957 View Post

I have a Panasonic DMR-XW450 recorder that has a faulty dvd drive. Panasonic want $300 for a new one. I can buy a cheap second hand recorder for about $50 but it is a DMR-ex77.
Do any of you guys know if the DVD drive is compatible to switch over
Sambo

This thread addresses swapping and compatibility of Panasonic DVD Drives in some North American models:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Before doing anything else, you might consider performing a partial disassembly and cleaning of your burner, as referenced by DigaDo in this thread. Panasonic recorder burners are notorious for prematurely "playing dead" when they get a little dusty or grimy, but after cleaning they often go on working fine for another few years. Of course, if yours is truly dead, cleaning won't help.

The Panasonic DMR-XW450 seems to be a 2009 model, while the DMR-EX77 seems to date from 2007 or 2008 (reviews on various websites conflict). Both are Australian models never sold in North America, in fact all Panasonic DVD/HDD recorders were pulled from N.A. after the 2006 EH55 series. So unfortunately there are very few AVS members with first-hand experience repairing these models: most of us can only offer a guess. Odds are the burners are not compatible, as the XW450 has ability to transcode HDTV and the EX77 does not.

The $300 repair fee quoted by Panasonic is fairly typical of what mfrs charge to replace the burner in DVD/HDD recorders, one of several reasons they fell out of favor. If you discover there is no feasible DIY repair, having Panasonic fix it may be your only option unless you can afford a complete new recorder (and Panasonic is still selling anything comparable in your country).
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There seems to be a lot or refurbs here now from Panasonic refurbishing centre.

There is a XW450 on the bay now for not much more than what they want for a new drive. Seems like a good time to be buying actually. Good selection in AU.for refurbs and old stock.Bck months ago not much was around. I bought a EX79 NIB..
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page