How record 3 digit channels on Mag 535? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many channels I want to record are above 99 but the 535 I just bought doesn't seem to be able to record channels 100 and above. Is there a way to record those channels? Otherwise I have to return the machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

The Mag has  "hybrid" (switched analog/digital) tuner compared to your HDTV's "integrated" (non-switched) tuner, and it has ch. 1-125 analog and h. 1-135 digital, like all DVD recorders.

Your cableco likes to put their channels on high-numbered "virtual" channels which the Mag will tune on different numbers compared to other devices, as explained here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12470932

You'll have to compare CONTENT rather than channel no. You can get some help identifying your specific channel assignments with one of the resources listed in the "Map Your Own" Solution described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21142278

post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Are you a cable subscriber? Has that cable company gone completely digital? The Mag535 has both a digital and analog tuner that will ONLY tune in channels that are unscrambled-meaning channels that do not require the use of a cable box (the local tv stations and perhaps a couple of home shopping chs).

IF your cable provider still sends analog chs thru, then the analog tuner can record those. But any channel that can only be viewed thru a box, can only be recorded over the 535's Line Input L1 or L2. Connected to the recorder using the yellow video, red/white audio wires.

You will not be able to watch another cable box ch when recording this way. If your tv is an HDTV, you can watch a local tv station on it's tuner while the 535 is occupied. (cable wire from wall to 2 way splitterr>splitter to tv and cable box>cable box to 535 with yellow/red/white wires)

biggrin.gif Edit...and Wajo posted while I was typing all that. rolleyes.gif

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am a cable subscriber and have an HDTV. Unfortunately this all sounds extremely complicated - why in the world would they make a machine that practically requires a PhD to operate? I couldn't use 125 analog or 135 digital channels because those are 3 digit channels. VCRs were so simple compared to this stuff. Is there a DVR out there that doesn't require all this extra stuff? Ideally one that would let me record at least 2 channels at once (3 digit channels)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The simpler the terminology the better as I am new to all this.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the recorders, it's the frickin' cable companies. They want to suck as much money from us as possible, and with the over the air digital transition, they've re-jiggered the cable delivery standards by scrambling signal transmissions to force us to use their boxes, which they get to charge us for, instead of allowing equipment manufacturers to provide digital tuners that would work on their systems without having to go thru the cable company.

So, if you wire things up correctly, you will be able to record from the cable box with the 535 while using the tuner on the tv to watch something else on a local station. It's a headache to be sure, but it's one of the few low cost-and relatively simple, options left.

The other (less complicated) option would be to buckle down and get one of the cable companies' dvrs-of course, which will cost a bit more each month....Those will allow recording more than 2 shows from any cable box channel at the same time. Only using a computer with multiple tv tuners can one perform same time multi recording. ..

They got us...and they know it. Grrr.

They're not com-tastic!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncody71 View Post

I am a cable subscriber and have an HDTV. Unfortunately this all sounds extremely complicated - why in the world would they make a machine that practically requires a PhD to operate? I couldn't use 125 analog or 135 digital channels because those are 3 digit channels. VCRs were so simple compared to this stuff. Is there a DVR out there that doesn't require all this extra stuff? Ideally one that would let me record at least 2 channels at once (3 digit channels)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The simpler the terminology the better as I am new to all this.

It's called a TiVo. You only need an IQ near room temp to make it work. You will pay more for the simplicity and maybe for the cable card.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback - guess I will at least try again to figure this out before giving up and returning it.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncody71 View Post

I am a cable subscriber and have an HDTV. Unfortunately this all sounds extremely complicated - why in the world would they make a machine that practically requires a PhD to operate? (...) Is there a DVR out there that doesn't require all this extra stuff? Ideally one that would let me record at least 2 channels at once (3 digit channels)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The simpler the terminology the better as I am new to all this.

1. Ask to your cable company for their PVRs or DVRs solutions with a monthly fee.
2. Bit the mullet and buy a TiVo with Lifetime suscription + cable card fee.

As you can see is a simple monthly cost issue.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
@profhat

"Bit the mullet"????

LOL

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 11 Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if he used an Android tablet. Those keyboards do seem to have a mi nd of their own. You type one thing and you see something else.

They're not com-tastic!
post #11 of 11 Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Don’t give up! I have a cable company box, and I can record ANY channel I have my TV on. With this setup, I CANNOT record a show on one channel while watching another channel. But I don’t care! Please read down through this short thread for details: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437276/tuner-on-mag-53x-series-not-up-to-current-comcast-digital
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page