Black and white picture DMR-EH69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a new EH 69. Recorder. Recorder only displaying a black/white picture from STB (Motorola 6208) via Svideo. My Mag 515 works fine with the exact same hook up. Prerecorded DVDs are fine on the 69. In a bit of a quandary. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Have you verified the NTSC/PAL setting in the setup? Even if set to PAL when you play a NTSC DVD it will temporarily switch to NTSC output. Also you might want to try the other S-video input just to verify something isn't wrong on that end.
If you live in N. America you want it set to NTSC.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks jjeff. Per your direction checked the front Svideo it was OK. Swapped out the Svideo cable tried the back Svideo again, success. I was envisioning the hassle of returning the recorder. Thanks again
post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
A bad or poorly fitting S-video cable can show up as a perfect B&W picture, glad it was that easy for you. You don't have to pay over $5 to get a decent S cable, Monoprice is a good source as is some B&M stores when they have them on sale.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have had more than a few S-Video cables lose the chroma signal (since they are separate lines in an S-Video cable) and result in a b&w picture. Those tiny pins are not as robust as one would hope. I remember getting a really nice VHS recorder from eBay years ago that had a bad S-Video connector. In order to get it to work properly, I had to get a rubber band and put lateral pressure on the plug so the chroma signal would make a conection. smile.gif

When I read this thread title, I thought you might be trying to use the AV1 connector as an input using a SCART adapter. It is not completely wired properly as an input, and will only allow a poor b&w image as an input. It is really supposed to be just an output. As an output, it works perfectly (again, with a SCART adapter). AV2, with the adapter, works perfectly as an input.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I have had more than a few S-Video cables lose the chroma signal (since they are separate lines in an S-Video cable) and result in a b&w picture. Those tiny pins are not as robust as one would hope. I remember getting a really nice VHS recorder from eBay years ago that had a bad S-Video connector. In order to get it to work properly, I had to get a rubber band and put lateral pressure on the plug so the chroma signal would make a conection. smile.gif

In my lifetime I worked with all kinds of different types of connectors and I can’t think of any that were designed more poorly than the S-Video connection.
Well Ok I thought of one. The dreaded power connector that comes out of the external power adapter into the power input of my IDE (Pata) external HDD enclosure.

mad.gif Talk about a pain in the arse mad.gif like a toy that came out of a cracker jacks box mad.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I don't really understand why connectors are uch a problem,but most of them are AWFUL. The venerable RCA connector makes a signal connection BEFORE the ground!?! Huh? How colossally stupid was that? She S-Video connctor has these tiny pins that are easily bent, OR broken! The "standard" power cord plugs are so poorly designed that they easily just fall out, and have no locking mechanism. HDMI is not a "secure" connection either. Just how hard is it to get it right? The military has been doing it correct since WWII at least.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page