My Panasonic DVD recorder is 4 yrs old but very little used; I transferred about 40 VHS tapes to DVD some time ago, and then recently wanted to burn 2 films from the TV recorder. The first film copied OK (onto DVD+R DL blank) but the 2nd gave unexpected problems including error U61. I've researched extensively and tried cleaning the disk drive wheel carefully (it wasn't very dirty) and also switching off at the mains for 12 hrs; neither solved the problem. I appreciate there's a lot on this forum about U61 errors but just wondered if I explained the problem in some detail there might be a solution.
Pressing the power button from standby the sequence is as follows:
1. 'Hello' on display for 60 seconds
2. 'U61' and 3 series of 5 short beeps during next 20 secs, the 5th being lower pitch. They are not grinding or chugging noises
3. 'Hello', then 'HDMI' and simultaneously the 'Self check did not complete, Press OK etc. etc' message on TV screen.
4. Pressing OK, I get 'Please Wait', then the tray extends, then 'Bye'
5. machine is now back in standby with tray still out.
No amount of selecting 'Open/Close', or any other buttons has any effect. Would appreciate anyone's comments; I really don't think it's cost effective to send the machine for a Panasonic service repair. Thanks.