Panasonic DMR-EZ48VEB problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

My Panasonic DVD recorder is 4 yrs old but very little used; I transferred about 40 VHS tapes to DVD some time ago, and then recently wanted to burn 2 films from the TV recorder. The first film copied OK (onto DVD+R DL blank) but the 2nd gave unexpected problems including error U61. I've researched extensively and tried cleaning the disk drive wheel carefully (it wasn't very dirty) and also switching off at the mains for 12 hrs; neither solved the problem. I appreciate there's a lot on this forum about U61 errors but just wondered if I explained the problem in some detail there might be a solution.

Pressing the power button from standby the sequence is as follows:

1. 'Hello' on display for 60 seconds

2. 'U61' and 3 series of 5 short beeps during next 20 secs, the 5th being lower pitch. They are not grinding or chugging noises

3. 'Hello', then 'HDMI' and simultaneously the 'Self check did not complete, Press OK etc. etc' message on TV screen.

4. Pressing OK, I get 'Please Wait', then the tray extends, then 'Bye'

5. machine is now back in standby with tray still out.

No amount of selecting 'Open/Close', or any other buttons has any effect. Would appreciate anyone's comments; I really don't think it's cost effective to send the machine for a Panasonic service repair. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello member send me a PM to find out how to send your machine to me to fix.

MickinCT
post #3 of 9 Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonicman66 View Post

Hi,

My Panasonic DVD recorder is 4 yrs old but very little used; I transferred about 40 VHS tapes to DVD some time ago, and then recently wanted to burn 2 films from the TV recorder. The first film copied OK (onto DVD+R DL blank) but the 2nd gave unexpected problems including error U61. I've researched extensively and tried cleaning the disk drive wheel carefully (it wasn't very dirty) and also switching off at the mains for 12 hrs; neither solved the problem. I appreciate there's a lot on this forum about U61 errors but just wondered if I explained the problem in some detail there might be a solution.

Pressing the power button from standby the sequence is as follows:

1. 'Hello' on display for 60 seconds

2. 'U61' and 3 series of 5 short beeps during next 20 secs, the 5th being lower pitch. They are not grinding or chugging noises

3. 'Hello', then 'HDMI' and simultaneously the 'Self check did not complete, Press OK etc. etc' message on TV screen.

4. Pressing OK, I get 'Please Wait', then the tray extends, then 'Bye'

5. machine is now back in standby with tray still out.

No amount of selecting 'Open/Close', or any other buttons has any effect. Would appreciate anyone's comments; I really don't think it's cost effective to send the machine for a Panasonic service repair. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Hello member send me a PM to find out how to send your machine to me to fix.

The beep, beep, beep, beep, burp! issue is well known, and usually signifies a bad laser emitter. I very recently bought a DVD recorder from Craig's list and it had a bad laser emitter. I sent it to mickinct, as he suggested to you, and he fixed it right up. It works perfectly. If you want your machine repaired, he's your go-to guy. He does good work, and is a much better communicator than Panasonic ever was--when they DID do repairs--which they do NOT do anymore. frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
IF the member has this model it may be a UK model and he may be there to.

MickinCT
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

... I've researched extensively and tried cleaning the disk drive wheel carefully (it wasn't very dirty) and also switching off at the mains for 12 hrs...
My clue was the term "mains" a British term if I've ever heard one biggrin.gif That or a UK transplant to the US.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
If you've already tried cleaning the disc spindle/clamp, you may have a laser or circuit that needs deeper repair. Official Panasonic service should still be available for this model worldwide, as it was only recently discontinued and doesn't have the complex HDD feature. If you are located in USA or even Canada, shipping the unit to AVS member mickinct for out-of-warranty repairs is usually cheaper, faster and better than sending it in to Panasonic. In EU, Australia or NZ one should probably use the local Panasonic authorized repair facility.

Quote:

Hi,
My Panasonic DVD recorder is 4 yrs old but very little used; I transferred about 40 VHS tapes to DVD some time ago, and then recently wanted to burn 2 films from the TV recorder. The first film copied OK (onto DVD+R DL blank) but the 2nd gave unexpected problems including error U61.

Further evidence that all DVD recorders are voodoo technology, with minds of their own that defy all logic.frown.gif

It is quite surprising how many "my recorder suddenly died" reports involve machines that were barely used over the course of several years. The odds of any given recorder model having a complete breakdown are about 50/50 between "hardly used" and "heavily used," so those of use who stockpiled a couple backups of our favorite discontinued units shouldn't feel overconfident.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:

... I've researched extensively and tried cleaning the disk drive wheel carefully (it wasn't very dirty) and also switching off at the mains for 12 hrs...
My clue was the term "mains" a British term if I've ever heard one biggrin.gif That or a UK transplant to the US.

The thread title identifies the model as a DMR-EZ48VEB. "VEB" indicates a UK model.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Quote:

Hi,
My Panasonic DVD recorder is 4 yrs old but very little used; I transferred about 40 VHS tapes to DVD some time ago, and then recently wanted to burn 2 films from the TV recorder. The first film copied OK (onto DVD+R DL blank) but the 2nd gave unexpected problems including error U61.

Further evidence that all DVD recorders are voodoo technology, with minds of their own that defy all logic.frown.gif

It is quite surprising how many "my recorder suddenly died" reports involve machines that were barely used over the course of several years. The odds of any given recorder model having a complete breakdown are about 50/50 between "hardly used" and "heavily used," so those of use who stockpiled a couple backups of our favorite discontinued units shouldn't feel overconfident.

This is TRUELY a fact. In the last month, I have made almost 100 DVDs on my EH55 and it still is going strong. His laser died after only forty! There is just no guarantee, I guess. Voodoo indeed...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks for all your comments . . . err, no not a US transplant; as someone correctly worked out from the clues I'm British and in UK!

I guess I was looking for a magic 'quick fix', e.g. press this button whilst holding down that one, but obviously not. It was just strange that after several years of not being used it then recorded one film and broke down on the next! Yes, voodoo indeed. In UK we'd say it's sod's law.

I've found someone here through ebay who says he can fix it so it's off to him; fingers are crossed.

Thanks again.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page