Magnavox ZV457MG9 VCR/DVD Recorder/Player will not display the "initial setup" menu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked up Magnavox ZV457MG9 VCR/DVD Recorder/Player. Have no cable or satellite, just an antenna. Have new Sony Bravia Digital TV, get picture and audio fine. BUT, when I follow instructions for initial setup on Magnavox recorder using Remote, I get NO display for "initial setting" (selecting type of broadcasting signal, etc). I've spent 12 hours on this thing, and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Worst of all, I spent almost one hour with a Magnavox technician customer service representative (1-800-605-8610), and he finally hung up on me because he was so frustrated that he could not provide any answers that produce the "initial setup" menu. Without this, the entire unit is unusable.

Can any smart tech people out there help me? I found others on the web with the same issue, but no one has found a resolution.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed77 View Post

Just hooked up Magnavox ZV457MG9 VCR/DVD Recorder/Player. Have no cable or satellite, just an antenna. Have new Sony Bravia Digital TV, get picture and audio fine. BUT, when I follow instructions for initial setup on Magnavox recorder using Remote, I get NO display for "initial setting" (selecting type of broadcasting signal, etc). I've spent 12 hours on this thing, and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Worst of all, I spent almost one hour with a Magnavox technician customer service representative (1-800-605-8610), and he finally hung up on me because he was so frustrated that he could not provide any answers that produce the "initial setup" menu. Without this, the entire unit is unusable.

Can any smart tech people out there help me? I found others on the web with the same issue, but no one has found a resolution.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

This problem usually arises when one uses the screw-on coax cable to connect the ZV457 RF output to the TV's screw-on coax cable RF input.

First, I suggest setting up the ZV457 with basic line-in/line-out connections, i.e., composite yellow video plus white/red audio OR S-Video plus white/red audio. Then be sure to select that input with the TV's remote control. That will allow you to see the menus.

Second, visit the General Settings menu to make basic configuration settings. Set the clock manually (not automatic) and run the antenna channel scan. The Owner's Manual will give you more details concerning the variety of settings.

After such a recorder as the ZV457 is set up with basic line-in/line-out connections some owners decide to activate and connect to the TV with HDMI. I've used HDMI connectivity briefly in the past but I've always gone back to basic line-in/line-out connections as there are "handshake" issues with HDMI utilization. For that reason I'll leave it to others to address the "HDMI can of worms."

I have familiarity with two earlier versions of the ZV457MG9 model variations, the ZV450MW8 (from 2007) and ZV450MW8A (from 2008). With these models one needs to pay special attention when using the "Timer Set" button that puts the recorder in standby for recording scheduled programming. When "Timer Set" is activated the recorder will be unresponsive to most remote control functions and the DVD tray can not be opened. One needs to press "Timer Set" to deactivate that standby mode in order to regain normal control of the recorder. (With the ZV450 model variations that information is found buried in a lengthy note on page 37 of the Owner's Manual.) With the ZV457MG9 and ZV457MG9A variations that information is found buried in a lengthy note on page 42 of the Owner's Manual.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page