Opinions on how long blank DVD-R will last - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I don't burn a whole lot of DVD-R these days. While making room in my cabinet for some new BD-R stock I realized that tucked away in the back I have 300-400 blank T-Y 8x Premium disks that are a few years old. These are original T-Y DVD-R that were purchased before the JVC partnership so that gives you an idea of their age. I also have about 100 Verbatim DVD+DL that are probably 1-2 yr old.

I know there are people here who buy DVD-R by the caseload and others who may buy a couple hundred and consume at a much lower rate. What are some of the oldest DVD-R blanks you have burned and has anyone had some they kept "too long" and would no longer burn without errors? I've never seen an expiration date on a spindle of DVD-R blanks -- have you?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can only tell you that at a thrift shop I bought some still sealed CD-R discs that I used for audio-CD recording. Can’t remember how old but I looked at the packaging on the Internet and they were very, very old not made in many years. They burned perfectly and play in my car as good as the day I burned them. Kodak and some other brand.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've also burned discs that were more than 5 years with no issues, it's just a guess but I'd think 5 years of sitting unburnt would be better than 5 years burnt. Meaning I'd rather have a DVD that was burnt 5 years ago on a blank that was 5 years old than a DVD that had been burnt 10 years ago, again just a guess.
Given how little you burn to DVD I'd put them up on a place like Craigslist or sell/give them to someone you know who regularly burns DVDs. I wouldn't worry about their age.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
This is an interesting question that I'm not sure has ever been addressed. I too think that they will last a LONG time unburned, but that is merely a guess with noting to back it up but guesses.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

This is an interesting question that I'm not sure has ever been addressed. I too think that they will last a LONG time unburned, but that is merely a guess with noting to back it up but guesses.
Considering you have just reported that a recent purchase has pushed your blank inventory to over 2000 blank DVD-R, you of all people will need to have faith that they have a great storage life smile.gif

Do you date your spindles when you receive them. I don't and now sorely wish I had. I just date the disk when I burn it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

National Archivist Org. conservatively estimates unburned shelf life between 5-10 years... details here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been burning discs since 2004 and have used all different brands such as FujiFilm, TDK, Imation, HP, Phillips, Memorex and Sony. I have burned HUNDREDS of DVDs since then and not one of them has gone bad. I've read crazy stories about how DVD-Rs can go bad within months to a couple of years. That's nonsense! People just don't know how to take care of their discs. Handle your discs with care and store them properly in its case and it should last you for many many years.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My theory has been that if you keep them stored in a dark cabinet at room temperature or slightly cooler, without temperature cycling, they should last a very long time. I figure that since the dye on the discs is activated by the heat of a laser, both heat and light would be bad for the discs - both before and after burning.

However, my concern about temperature cycling may be a bit excessive, at least in the after-burn phase: I have CD-Rs that I burned in 2000 and have kept in my cars continuously ever since then. I *do* make sure they're stored in a case and not exposed to light, but they've survived 12 years of temperature cycling through the heat of Midwest summer and the cold of our winters. The only discs ones I've had some "failure" with are once that got scratches all the way through the reflective layer. So these things may be a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

I have been burning discs since 2004 and have used all different brands such as FujiFilm, TDK, Imation, HP, Phillips, Memorex and Sony. I have burned HUNDREDS of DVDs since then and not one of them has gone bad. I've read crazy stories about how DVD-Rs can go bad within months to a couple of years. That's nonsense! People just don't know how to take care of their discs. Handle your discs with care and store them properly in its case and it should last you for many many years.
Thanks, but I'm not asking about burned disk longevity. I'm looking to discuss storage stability of unburned DVD-R blanks that one may have tucked in the back of the shelf..

- kelson h

post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

Considering you have just reported that a recent purchase has pushed your blank inventory to over 2000 blank DVD-R, you of all people will need to have faith that they have a great storage life smile.gif

Do you date your spindles when you receive them. I don't and now sorely wish I had. I just date the disk when I burn it.

Quote:

No, I haven't been dating my disks when they show up. Like you, I have quite a few still that read T-Y test function.not JVC T-Y. Those still burn perfectly.

As to MrHT's comment. I have used cheap media and have had it fail --sometimes VERY quickly. Yes, within the few months time frame you reference. I once used some cheap disks for a "project" and using my duplicator, made sure that they "tested" properly. A few moths later, they started to pixelate and freeze. The TEST function now said that there were unrecoverable errors on the disk, PIO failures. They were all stored the same way, so why did the T-Ys test fine after eight years, but these cheap disks, and NO I don't remember the brand, fail? I *DO* have a SONY disk that the dye side shows incredible banding and color variations. This too fails the test function. I haven't been able to make a decent picture of it though.frown.gif

Kelson, is there a way to find out the manufacture date of a disk from its stored information?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 17 Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As to MrHT's comment. I have used cheap media and have had it fail --sometimes VERY quickly. Yes, within the few months time frame you reference. I once used some cheap disks for a "project" and using my duplicator, made sure that they "tested" properly. A few moths later, they started to pixelate and freeze. The TEST function now said that there were unrecoverable errors on the disk, PIO failures. They were all stored the same way, so why did the T-Ys test fine after eight years, but these cheap disks, and NO I don't remember the brand, fail? I *DO* have a SONY disk that the dye side shows incredible banding and color variations. This too fails the test function. I haven't been able to make a decent picture of it though.frown.gif[

Maybe it has to do with the burners and what speed you're burning at? Are you burning at fast speeds? Never burn over 4x. Burning faster than that will only lead to problems. My Imation and Fujifilm DVD-Rs are my oldest blank medias and they all still play. All were burnt at 4x speed.

I've never used T-Y before, but have heard a lot of great things about it. I may consider getting myself a spindle since it never hurts to get something reputable. I also may consider getting a 1 TB external hard drive to back up all the videos I burn to DVD. Even though I've been lucky so far and have never had a DVD-R fail on me, it's always good to keep a back up, which I should get into the habit of doing. My current HD is only 220 GB, so I don't have a lot of space to backup right now, which is not good.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The disks that failed were all burned at 4x. They were an inexpensive store brand.

Luke

post #13 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
vmc

Liked: 10
The only time I have an issue with a burned DVD, is when I have use a label on it. It has something to do with the glue wrapping the media over time. The media, of course , is on top.
I have never used labels since.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I also may consider getting a 1 TB external hard drive to back up all the videos I burn to DVD. Even though I've been lucky so far and have never had a DVD-R fail on me, it's always good to keep a back up, which I should get into the habit of doing. My current HD is only 220 GB, so I don't have a lot of space to backup right now, which is not good.

1TB will only hold about 200 fully recorded DVDs. It would take many hard drives to backup the thousands of recorded DVDs I have.

Hopefully mega-TB drives will hit the market at a reasonable price in the near future wink.gif

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #15 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc View Post

The only time I have an issue with a burned DVD, is when I have use a label on it. It has something to do with the glue wrapping the media over time. The media, of course , is on top.

I never use labels. I use permanent marker. Why waste the time and money on labels when you can label them easily with a marker? Makes no sense. Unless of course, you're selling your DVDs and trying to make them look fancy. But if you're just burning them for your own use, then it's a waste of time...
post #16 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

1TB will only hold about 200 fully recorded DVDs. It would take many hard drives to backup the thousands of recorded DVDs I have.

Hopefully mega-TB drives will hit the market at a reasonable price in the near future wink.gif

I don't have thousands of DVDs to backup. I really only need a few hundred GBs as I only have about 50 or so DVDs to backup. 1 TB should suffice.... at least, for now, it should.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc View Post

I never use labels. I use permanent marker. Why waste the time and money on labels when you can label them easily with a marker? Makes no sense. Unless of course, you're selling your DVDs and trying to make them look fancy. But if you're just burning them for your own use, then it's a waste of time...

Markers with non-petroleum-based ink rule!

Just get a 4-pack of Sharpie DVD/CD media-specific markers once a year, and I'm good. I even make sure I let the ink dry (I think it's alcohol-based) before I put the disc in a storage sleeve or binder.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page