CAN'T RECORD NETFLIX ANYMORE TO PANNY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Netflix changed something to prevent recording shows ?? I used to be able to and other streaming channels still work.....I'm pretty sure it's not an hdpc issue as I'm only using composite cables and Like I said it used to work.......Any ideas ??.Thx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Doe the recorder tell you anything? What exactly is the failure mechanism?
diverted likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Less than a millisecond after I push the record button a warning pops up on the screen saying "Recording has stopped Copyrighted material cannot be copied"....WTF ??
post #4 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Netflix has always used copy-protection on much of its streaming content. That has been required by the content providers. Up until now you may have been recording stuff that they didn't have to protect and so you were successful. They may have changed that policy on that content.
diverted likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

You're probably right as I noticed that I was able to record some programs before but now it seems that all are blocked......Didn't think they could do that without Hdcp and only through Hdmi......Can't get away with anything anymore........ mad.gif ...Even tyring to record the exact same movie as I did before doiesn't work now.....Guess they are on to us......
post #6 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 307
As you indicated, HDCP is the instrument of copy-protection for digital HDMI inter-connects. For analog connections they just use good old macro-vision. You can probably get a macro-vision filter like people do for recording copy-protected content from their cable boxes.
diverted likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 195
post #8 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 111
What do you recommend

Grex, MCM, Sima CT, Copiall, am I missing any?
diverted likes this.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #9 of 95 Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverted View Post

Less than a millisecond after I push the record button a warning pops up on the screen saying "Recording has stopped Copyrighted material cannot be copied"....WTF ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

What do you recommend

Grex, MCM, Sima CT, Copiall, am I missing any?

That error message leaves no doubt that it is a form of copy protection. As you say, it isn't HDCP, but that is oly the most recent variant of CP. There have been a number of CP schemes out there, and you machine IS REQUIRED to respond to any/all of them if it finds one. That's why so many recorders have been flagged as prohibiting copying incorrectly, when they see "something" that looks like it even might be CP they shut down with a false positive. frown.gif

Which one of the above do I recommend? I have a SIMA, and it works, but it gets hot, so it isn't suited for leaving on all the time. It also tends to lighten the picture, which is bad. The one I recommend is not available any longer, the Video Filter. I have neverf used a Grex, but others here have.
diverted likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for all the comments.......Just found a unit on Monoprice that converts component to composite and one reviewer said it removes CP in the process but that's all that was mentioned so not sure if it's any good or even does the job since it's not mentioned anywhere else....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2
post #11 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Yes that MP device will work for what you want, as long as the device your trying to record from has "component" outputs.
You can also find Lenkeng devices for around the same price that converts HDMI to S-video and also removes CP.
I've used both and can attest they remove CP in the process. Some of the more expensive HDMI to S-video converters(the ones that claim to be HDCP complaint) may shut down when they sense CP but not the cheaper ones.
diverted likes this.
post #12 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, those look great !!! Any idea on price or where to buy ?? Checked their website but didn't see any North American dealers mentioned.....Thx again.....DT
post #13 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice is a good place to purchase the Lenkeng(branded as MP) component to S-video converter and Amazon sells several different HDMI to S-video converters under $50.
diverted likes this.
post #14 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 132
Quote:

Yeah, those look great !!! Any idea on price or where to buy ?? Checked their website but didn't see any North American dealers mentioned.....Thx again.....DT

Here's some info on Component and HDMI converter/filters... click in pics for sellers Monoprice.com

I'd be "leary" of the many sellers on Amazon since Lenkeng, the original mfgr, warns of counterfeiters, one of whom they say doesn't have any R&D capability.

diverted likes this.
post #15 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

That is great !!! Thx guys!! And the reviews aren't bad either....Checked on Amazon and seemed they were all out of stock and MP has always been trustworthy.......The HDMI > S video one sounds like it gives better PQ and I've got all three types of outputs on the BD player so for a few bucks more might just go with that one.......Thx again......DT
post #16 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

If your recording from BD I'd really suggest the HDMI model. Even if your BD player has component outputs apparently the spec for BD allows disc mfgs. to disable all outputs except HDMI. Don't know if they'll ever implement this but it could be a worry if relying on component. Besides AFAIK all BD players made after '11 were required to omit component outputs, only HDMI and maybe composite.
The HDMI to S-video converter I have is the 1st one in wajo's link, not a bad little device and well priced smile.gif
diverted likes this.
post #17 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just using the BD for Netflix and wanted to record it from there onto my Panny VHS/DVD burner combo......Like I said in the original post, I used to be able to record some programs but now it seems all are CP'd but yes I think I'll go with the Hdmi one.....
post #18 of 95 Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Also have Roku with Hdmi output but waaaayyyyy more programming than the BD player and would be nice to be able to plug that in to the burner/ recorderwhenevr I wanted to make a copy of something.....
post #19 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This works just fine.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
diverted likes this.
post #20 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Will all these units work for C.P. on Netflix or do they only unblock Tapes etc.???
post #21 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
If they're using Macrovision (and they most likely are on the analog stuff), then they'll work just fine.
diverted likes this.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #22 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Also have Roku with Hdmi output but waaaayyyyy more programming than the BD player and would be nice to be able to plug that in to the burner/ recorderwhenevr I wanted to make a copy of something.....

The Roku LT and Roku HD have composite video (analog) output that would work with these filters just fine, and some stuff may not even have copy protection. The Roku 2 XD and XS have HDMI only, so that's probably the one you have. Given that no recorder has HDMI inputs (in the US), you'd need to both remove the HDCP and convert the signal.

For recording, I'd just buy another Roku LT for $50 and use that, and not mess with converting the HDMI signal.
diverted likes this.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #23 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

The Roku LT and Roku HD have composite video (analog) output that would work with these filters just fine.......The Roku 2 XD and XS have HDMI only, so that's probably the one you have.

Not true. The Roku 2 XS DOES HAVE composite video output. It connects to a recorder using a 3.5mm>RWY RCA cable and works well with my Sima CT-2 filter. smile.gif
diverted likes this.
post #24 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

The Roku LT and Roku HD have composite video (analog) output that would work with these filters just fine.......The Roku 2 XD and XS have HDMI only, so that's probably the one you have.

Not true. The Roku 2 XS DOES HAVE composite video output. It connects to a recorder using a 3.5mm>RWY RCA cable and works well with my Sima CT-2 filter. smile.gif

All 4 Roku models here show "480i (over composite video)" output under the See specs links (under pics)..

diverted likes this.
post #25 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

A couple of the earlier Roku models had Component video output but they dropped it in favor of composite video. mad.gif
diverted likes this.
post #26 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Does anyone know if Netflix changed something to prevent recording shows ?? I used to be able to and other streaming channels still work.....I'm pretty sure it's not an hdpc issue as I'm only using composite cables and Like I said it used to work.......Any ideas ??.Thx...
Yep, I found this out last week myself. I'll have to pick-up a filter too. But HBOGO and EpixHD can both still be recorded off my Roku! eek.gif
diverted likes this.
post #27 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

My Roku has Hdmi and Composite outputs but it won't let me record anything from Netflix when hooked up to my panny vcr / dvd burner combo so......that's why I need a converter box that will take Hdmi in and output S video into the Panny and remove the Macro C.P. that is on Netflix..... Or I can output the Netflix from a Sony BD player in either Hdmi, Composite or component but the DVD recorder will only accept composite or S video so, if I'm converting from an Hdmi signal down to a composite S video signal would Hdcp even be a concern ?? If so I can always get a converter that goes from component down to S video but an earlier poster said I'd get better PQ if I went with the Hdmi route..........Your thoughts ??
post #28 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Quote:

Yep, I found this out last week myself. I'll have to pick-up a filter too. But HBOGO and EpixHD can both still be recorded off my Roku! eek.gif

Yes it only seems like Netflix is affected......I guess because it's the biggest and people pay for it.....found a couple reasonably priced filters at Monoprice and Tiger direct.....
post #29 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

@ diverted post #27. CP is a concern even with composite video,that's why you'll sometimes need a filter. I have used the HDMI output on my Roku 2 XS with a HDMI>Component video converter>Component>svideo converter, AND the composite video output with my Sima CT-2 filter and haven't noticed much if any diff. in video quality in my recordings.
diverted likes this.
post #30 of 95 Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it only seems like Netflix is affected......I guess because it's the biggest and people pay for it.....found a couple reasonably priced filters at Monoprice and Tiger direct.....

I ran in to CP one time when i rented a movie from Vudu and had to stop the movie long enough to connect my Sima filter,then restart the movie from the beginning. tongue.gif But it only happened once....none of the other movies i rented/recorded from Vudu had CP enabled. cool.gif .....so far rolleyes.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page