Panasonic DMR-E85H: Manual Timer Operation? - AVS Forum
DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > Panasonic DMR-E85H: Manual Timer Operation?
MediaDriver's Avatar MediaDriver 03:57 PM 01-05-2013
I recently found one of these at a estate sale of sorts. It seems to be working fine, including the HD. Burned a few discs to check, they came out fine. I also picked up a Pan DMR ES-15 a few years ago (no HD) and it works fine as well.

Q1. The 85H came with no remote so I'm looking for a used one in good working order. Any ideas?

Q2. Since I don't have the remote for the 85, I've been using the ES-15's remote, which works fine. But there are a few functions missing when used with the 85. Manual programming for instance. Is it possible without the 85's remote?

Since it has a NTSC tuner, I use it with a Zenith DTV box. When I'm home and the show begins, I just punch the record button and it works fine. However, I can't figure out how to program it like a VCR or program timer recording like the ES-15. I've disabled TVGOS, per the manual. On pg. 43 "Channel/Clock Settings when TVGOS is not used" it doesn't describe how to select from L1, L2 or L3 only channels. And it wants to auto-search for NTSC channels when there are none.

Is it possible to manually set timer recording from one of the AV inputs? (Like I do on the ES-15). If so, do I need the remote?

This is easily done on the ES-15, but perhaps the 85 needs its own remote to enable manual timer operation from the av inputs.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious? (Besides obtaining a remote first!)

Thanks in advance.

Kelson's Avatar Kelson 05:27 PM 01-05-2013
Did you download the manual from Panasonic's web site?
doswonk1's Avatar doswonk1 06:50 PM 01-05-2013
You can use the ES-15 remote for almost all of the functions of the original E85 remote... When you're in the timer setup screen, the ES-15 remote's chapter mark key fills in for the E85's green key. But the ES-15 doesn't have an exact analog for the blue key on the E85 remote - the one that lets you change the input and recording speed when you're in the timer setting screen. The short work-around is to set the machine to the input and record "speed" (i.e., SP, LP, FR, etc.) you want to record from before you enter the timer-set screen. Then when you hit the setup screen, they'll be the defaults. IIRC, the chap mark key will let you set the actual start and stop times.....

I actually use spare ES-15 and EZ-17remote most of the time with my E85, just to preserve the original. I do still grab the original when I'm setting the timer, though. It's just easier. The remote for any HDD-equipped Panasonic recorder will work with the E85, so if you can find a used one at a modest price, it might be worth the investment just for the convenience.

Still, almost 9 - nine! - years after the machine hit the streets, the E85 is still a pretty sweet piece of gear. I mostly use mind for FM radio time-shifting, but when I fire it up for OTA TV recording, I feed it from a Zenith DTT-901 box, too. The image is slightly softer than from my Philips/Magnavox series DVDRs, but in some ways I prefer that.

Make sure you explore the FR function, if you haven't already!
MediaDriver's Avatar MediaDriver 09:40 PM 01-05-2013
Didn't have to...the original manual was included.
MediaDriver's Avatar MediaDriver 09:46 PM 01-05-2013
Good info...thanks for the detail. I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 12:16 AM 01-06-2013
I know this isn't exactly what you wanted, BUT, the original remote is part number EUR7721KG0. A quick search brought this up. Yes, it's $42, but it is THE remote control. You can likely find another site that is cheaper with more than the quick glance I gave it.
Westly-C's Avatar Westly-C 09:36 AM 01-06-2013

Also check ebay-there are usually dozens of Panasonic dvd recorder remotes up for sale.

doswonk1's Avatar doswonk1 02:23 PM 01-06-2013
OK, I went home last night and paid attention while I set up a timer recording on the E85. The other critical key on the E85 remove that's missing from the ES-15 is the blue "Dubbing" key. The ES-15 (or EZ-17) remote doesn't have one 'cuz those machines have no HDD to dub from. The workaround I described for setting the Line input and the record "speed" works. Where I usually have to break down and use the E85 remote is to set AM and PM in the record times. So if you want to live w/o the correct remote by using what default-populates the timer setup screen, you'll also have to set up morning events in the morning and PM events in the PM. Kind of a pain.

I tried buying a spare E85 remote from some place that supposedly specializes in spare remotes. They dinked around for a month or two and then said they couldn't get one and cancelled the order. The place Luke linked to looked more promising, but kind of pricey. As somebody else suggested, you might have better luck on eBay.

Now I'm wondering if a remote for the EH-58/59/68/69 series would work.... Don't recall actually trying it.
doswonk1's Avatar doswonk1 07:04 PM 01-06-2013
This remote would get the job done, and it's a lot less $$$ than the one from replacementremotes.com. Ordered one of these myself.... As I said, you can continue to use the ES-15 remote workaround, but for 20 bucks and change, the right remote will make the job so much easier. Actually, eBay is flooded with replacement remotes drop shipped from China/Hong Kong. If you don't mind very directly contributing to the trade deficit, they're even cheaper.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 11:45 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

This remote would get the job done, and it's a lot less $$$ than the one from replacementremotes.com. Ordered one of these myself.... As I said, you can continue to use the ES-15 remote workaround, but for 20 bucks and change, the right remote will make the job so much easier. Actually, eBay is flooded with replacement remotes drop shipped from China/Hong Kong. If you don't mind very directly contributing to the trade deficit, they're even cheaper.

doswonk1, that remote is almost exactly like the EUZR7721KGO, with one exception. On the third line of buttons, the original remote has two buttons: HDD and DVD, while the remote you linked to has three buttons, HDD, DVD, and SD/PC. I have no idea what the SD/PC button does, but you can completely ignre it and it will be identical to the one I linked to for much more $. (You could buy two of the ones you linked to for the cost of one of the ones I linked to, and still have almost $5 left! biggrin.gif

I have setteled on using one remote for all of my Panasonic DVD recorders. Each one (EH50, EH55, EH75, EH59/69) it seems has a different remote, and some of them put really important buttons in different locations (the finction and sub menu, for example) so I have standardized on an older remote. I THINK it's the EUR7624KB0, which came with the DMR-E80, a machine I never owned. I use it for one reason: it is the last remote control that Panasonic made for their DVD recorders that has an open/close button for the DVD drive on it. Interestingly, that open/close button on a remote made for the E80, which sold in like 2003 maybe, still works on all of my Panasonic DVD recorders, right up to the newest EH59/69 machines. It is a very rare situation that can come up where I would need a function that the EUR7624KB0 does not support. I still have the original remotes that cam e with each of the machines if necessary, I just don't normally use them. I have purchased a vast number of these E80 remotes. biggrin.gif
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 11:59 AM 01-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

On the third line of buttons, the original remote has two buttons: HDD and DVD, while the remote you linked to has three buttons, HDD, DVD, and SD/PC. I have no idea what the SD/PC button does...
Like a EH-50, EH-55 or even EH-69 the SD button takes you directly to the SD input, as you said since the E85H lacks a SD card reader that button will have no effect.
AFA the linked remote, personally I dislike the buttons and feel of that type of remote(similar to my ES-30 and E55). I much prefer the '06 and newer buttons and layout but if you don't care or are not as fussy it will work just fine.
My all time favorite remote would be the '06 ES-25 which has the larger single buttons, drive select button and also dedicated FR button(which would be a must on my favorites list). I'd also like a EJECT button but as the R.S. song goes, You can't always get what you wantbiggrin.gif
doswonk1's Avatar doswonk1 12:01 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

doswonk1, that remote is almost exactly like the EUZR7721KGO, with one exception. On the third line of buttons, the original remote has two buttons: HDD and DVD, while the remote you linked to has three buttons, HDD, DVD, and SD/PC. I have no idea what the SD/PC button does, but you can completely ignre it and it will be identical to the one I linked to for much more $. (You could buy two of the ones you linked to for the cost of one of the ones I linked to, and still have almost $5 left! biggrin.gif

Heh, I didn't even notice the "SD/PC" button....saw that it has "HDD" and "DVD" plus the mission-critical blue and green buttons and stopped there. (Focused like a laser beam - yep, that's me!) That makes sense, though, because the E95 and E500 were even more upscale models than the E85, so I'd expect them to have more features. I'd vote that SD/PC was for an SD card reader and - what? - maybe some sort of USB connection to a PC? Somebody on this forum will fill us in.

(Insert a Citibear disclaimer that a fully integrated two-way connection between a DVDR and a PC always was a pipe dream.)

I just remember that the $650 the E85 cost me at the Circuit City on Bluemound Road in Brookfield, WI, was a serious chunk of change at the time. Well, it still is, but now that I've lived life with HDD DVD recorders, I know it's fully worth the expense smile.gif

Found the old e-mails and it turns out replacementemotes.com was the place where I tried to get an E80 or E85 remote last year. They held the order for a while and then canceled it for lack of stock. Turns out I just ordered the wrong item. At the time, I wanted an E80 remote to get the disc drawer open/close button, which the E85 and later US Panasonic remots didn't have.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 12:11 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

.... I'd vote that SD/PC was for an SD card reader and - what? - maybe some sort of USB connection to a PC? Somebody on this forum will fill us in.
(Insert a Citibear disclaimer that a fully integrated two-way connection between a DVDR and a PC always was a pipe dream.)
No PC connection, the PC slot is a defunct card based format although I believe the top of the line E500H was somehow able to integrate with a PC but not to the extent most would desire.
Of course the SD card is still in use and probably the most common memory card in use.
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 12:11 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:
...I wanted an E80 remote to get the disc drawer open/close button, which the E85 and later US Panasonic remots didn't have.
Quote:
...I'd also like a EJECT button but as the R.S. song goes, You can't always get what you want

I am well known for having setteled on the EUR7624KB0 (the E80) remote for that very reason, the DVD open/close button.

I agree completely though, and FR button would be really handy!
doswonk1's Avatar doswonk1 02:52 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

I am well known for having setteled on the EUR7624KB0 (the E80) remote for that very reason, the DVD open/close button.

Then I probably got the idea from you! cool.gif

Interesting thing is the E85 responds to the remote for my Panny Blu-ray player, which I had to set to its alternate remote code. And the Blu-ray remote does have a drawer eject button. Hmmmm.... Need to sit down one night and see just what I can do on the E85 with the remote from my EH59 and the BD player. When I have free time. Which is almost never these days.....
Church AV Guy's Avatar Church AV Guy 05:36 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

Quote:

Then I probably got the idea from you! cool.gif

Interesting thing is the E85 responds to the remote for my Panny Blu-ray player, which I had to set to its alternate remote code. And the Blu-ray remote does have a drawer eject button. Hmmmm.... Need to sit down one night and see just what I can do on the E85 with the remote from my EH59 and the BD player. When I have free time. Which is almost never these days.....

Funny. Your post reminded me of a rather long story that happened to me several years ago. I was making a number of copies of a CD, renumbering the songs for a choir rehersal track for church, and at the same time I was using one of my DVD recorders. The short version is, after a great deal of trouble, I realized that my use of the DVD recorder remote control was also messing up the CD deck I was using for playback. That CD deck was made in 1983, and the thing was STILL responding to the (then current) DVD remote control codes! I put a stack of books in front of the CD deck and the problems disappeared. biggrin.gif Your BR remote with the open/close button just might work. smile.gif
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 05:45 PM 01-09-2013
Quote:

Your BR remote with the open/close button just might work. smile.gif
Just tried it and it works biggrin.gif
The only downside though is if you have a Panny BD player(after all I'd think you did if you had a Panny BD remote) then the EJECT would also open your Panny BD player......
In my main room I have 3 Panny DVDRs along with a Panny BD player, unfortunately they all three only have three remote codes......I have the BD player and my least used DVDR(a ES-30v) set to the same code and a piece of black tape over the ES-30v IR sensor when not in use, when I use the DVDR I have it over the BD IR sensor.
New Panny BD players have 5 IR codes, unfortunately my older player(with S-video output cool.gif) only has 3 like the DVDRs. I love Sony DVD players but not so much for BD players where I prefer the feature set(and DVD upconversion) of Panasonics.
MediaDriver's Avatar MediaDriver 06:43 PM 01-09-2013
DW, thanks for the programming tips & for verifying the procedure. I've been rather busy since my last post and haven't been able to your suggestions out yet. Perhaps later this evening. I don't have much experience with the 85 yet as it's just been recently acquired. Looking forward to using the edit features to remove commercials from football archived on the HD, before transferring to DVD's.

I mostly watch DVD's borrowed from the local library. No cable or satellite, just OTA. Lots available now on the web though, particularly instructional video's and tutorials, so I don't miss cable/sat (nor the monthly bills!).
crowe-t's Avatar crowe-t 06:13 PM 01-09-2014
Up
Mobile  Desktop