Save me money! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I plan on getting something to remove Copy Protection, what should I get?

The Video Filter
Copiall DX 7000
Grex
Sima CT 2 or CT 200
MCM

or maybe a Datavideo TBC 1000 or AVT 8710?

I just want to buy one device and be done with it. Dont mind buying a more expensive device, just trying to avoid buying multiple devices.

Thanks!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Would love to get The Video Filter, but the Copiall and Davtavideo TBC 1000 seem very usable as well. I dont like the tiny plastic boxes that overheat. The MCM seems attractive because it is dirt cheap but does it have S-VHS input/output? The TBC 1000 seems to be the best of the bunch because it erases and recreates all the stuff where the copy protection resides from what Ive read and thus no copy protection eludes it. The Video Filter is currently out of production and imposible to find used.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have a Sima CT-2 and while it does what it's designed to(I've never ran across anything, including BD, that it wouldn't let me copy) it's drawback is it lightens the picture. I have 3 and I'd say one lightens ~+7.5 IRE while the other two are even worse(I'd guess +15 IRE). They also run a bit warm so I always unplug them when not in use. I believe the Sima is also long gone new and only available used.
I haven't hear anything bad about the Video Filter brand but it is the most expensive of the filters and I don't think it's made anymore, I've never used one.
I've heard mixed results with the Grex and Copiall, I'd guess they may be similar in quality as the Sima but haven't used one.
I believe the MCM filter is only for VHS or DVD without as strong CP, for sure not BD. The MCM is the cheapest but I'd only use it with VHS.

If I had it to do over I'd purchase the AVT 8710 TBC. It has picture quality adjustments so it should not lighten or darken the picture and it could also be used to correct the picture of a badly mastered source. Someone not too long ago posted a link to a company that sold the AVT 8710 for <$200($187 I think) but no one had really heard of them so I was a bit leery to give them my CC#. The going price from major retailers like B&H seems to be ~$230 but if you only wanted one device I'd probably suggest it.
I think the other TBC your talking about is more a professional product and priced accordingly, ~$500 I think.
My guess is the TBC 1000 is a real quality product but I like the picture quality adjustments the AVT 8710 has, besides being 1/2 the price, so thats the one I'd go with.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If I had it to do over I'd purchase the AVT 8710 TBC. It has picture quality adjustments so it should not lighten or darken the picture and it could also be used to correct the picture of a badly mastered source. Someone not too long ago posted a link to a company that sold the AVT 8710 for <$200($187 I think) but no one had really heard of them so I was a bit leery to give them my CC#. The going price from major retailers like B&H seems to be ~$230 but if you only wanted one device I'd probably suggest it.
I think the other TBC your talking about is more a professional product and priced accordingly, ~$500 I think.
My guess is the TBC 1000 is a real quality product but I like the picture quality adjustments the AVT 8710 has, besides being 1/2 the price, so thats the one I'd go with.

That AVT 8710 link was in this thread in post #14. As soon as I posted info about the AVT-8710 member “scoosdad” posted that he is familiar with the company that makes the AVT-8710.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes thats the post I was thinking about, up to $197 now but still $30 less than B&H, although I'm not taking any shipping into account.
Note scoosdad was familiar with the company that made the TBC but not the seller......it would still be nice to hear from someone who has ordered from them.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page