DVR ES35S issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this forum still around and is there anyone here who might help me with repair issue?

The subject DVR just went belly up after wife deleted a recording on a RW DVR which she has done many times before. This time, however, the unit went into a no response mode. A message was flashed on the screen saying U61 and then said something about unit not able to reset itself and refer to service manual.

I could not find service manual for this device on Panasonic web site.

I have been reading some old threads about electrolytic capacitors going bad. I now have the board where the power supply resides removed from the unit but do not see any signs of leaking capacitors.

Are there any other suggestions or should I just proceed with replacing the capacitor C11108?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Wife really misses here DVR and there really isn't something to replace it.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Correction: The model number is a Panasonic DVR-ES35S
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyl dvr View Post

Correction: The model number is a Panasonic DVR-ES35S

Sure of that model number? Could it be DMR-ES35S?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In any discussion it's important to get the model number correct. Your Panasonic is probably a DMR-ES35Ss as Panasonic does not have a model DVR-ES35s.What you have is a DVD Recorder, not a DVR. (A DVR does not record to removable media, i.e., DVDs.)

The U61 and U88 errors are defined in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1158210/u61-error-when-off/0_60#post_16719887

This post adds the definition of the U99 error:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1007613/official-panasonic-dmr-ez28k-thread/480_60#post_17163187

This post comments on the F60 error possibly followed by the U99 error:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1158210/u61-error-when-off/0_60#post_16856463

Panasonic Service Manuals don't address component-level repairs for DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1007613/official-panasonic-dmr-ez28k-thread/480_60#post_16832715

DVD Drive "no read," basic diagnostics and DVD Drive routine service procedures are found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I cetainly could be the capacitors, but it could also be the laser assembly. In that case, I would recommend you aend a PM to MICKINCT about your issue. He is the go-to guy for these kind of repairs.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for replying to my cry for help. Sorry about messing up the model number and you are correct. It is DMR-ES35S. I am newbie to this and really any forum so I guess went into overload.

I just pulled what is reportedly a problematic electrolytic capacitor and am going to replace that and I will follow up on the links you have provided.

Thank you very much.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your reply. Nice to know somebody is out there and heard my cry for help.

I just pulled the C11108 electrolytic capacitor this morning and going looking for replacement. Will see what that does if anything.

One symptom I forgot to mention was when powering up the unit, the laser head would travel to the spindle repeatedly about 4 times and on the last, the spindle would rotate for about 1 second then stop.

If that is helpful, please let me know.

Also, I am a newbie to this and actually any forum. Never used one before. You mentioned in your reply to send a PM to MICKINCT. Sorry to display my ignorance, but what is a PM? and how do I do this. Sorry for such an elementary question, but as I said I am just beginning on this forum stuff.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Click THIS link and hover over the name mickinct in the second post(left side of the screen) and one of the options will be send PM. Click that and write him a note. Only Mick will see it.
From your newest description I'm strongly thinking you have a bad laser assembly which Mick can fix for you. I'd PM him before tearing anything more apart, I don't believe the capacitor is your issue and you don't want to break anything requiring more time and money from Mick smile.gif
Your Panasonic is quite a nice model and IMO it's well worth fixing. I also believe the model number should be ES-30v where the V means VHS since it's a combo. It may also have a S in the model which would indicate it's Silver in color, black Panasonics have a K in the model number.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you very much for your reply. Nice to know somebody is out there and heard my cry for help.

I just pulled the C11108 electrolytic capacitor this morning and going looking for replacement. Will see what that does if anything.

One symptom I forgot to mention was when powering up the unit, the laser head would travel to the spindle repeatedly about 4 times and on the last, the spindle would rotate for about 1 second then stop.

Also, I am a newbie to this and actually any forum. Never used one before. You mentioned in your reply to send a PM to MICKINCT. Sorry to display my ignorance, but what is a PM? and how do I do this. Sorry for such an elementary question, but as I said I am just beginning on this forum stuff.

Yes, it could be a failed laser assembly. Or, it could be as simple as a dirty laser lens. See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

The noises made by the DVD Drive as it attempts to locate or read a DVD help one determine the nature of the problem.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

That is a very bad sign. If it sounds like THIS, then you almost certainly have a bad laser assembly. This is just not fixable, anymore than you would repair a burned out light bulb. You replace it, and that is what MICKINCT will do for you.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page