Pioneer DVR 550 H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My remote for the Pioneer DVR 550H has crapped out (again) and Pioneer Canada doesn't have any in stock. Does anyone know which universal remote works with this model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Universal remotes can be programmed for most but not all of the Pioneer DVR features. Some functions would require you have a working original remote for the universal to "learn" from. The only remotes with complete Pioneer codesets available are the JP1 type of remote, currently I believe there's an inexpensive RCA variant sold at Radio Shack. Look for posts by AVS member mdavej that discuss JP1 remotes: he is incredibly knowledgeable on the subject and very helpful.

Personally, I find the universals a poor substitute unless there is no alternative. You do have alternatives, from either eBay or independent remote control vendors who still have stock of the original remotes. You don't need an exact match for the 550 remote (VXX3095), which was actually the least popular of the Pioneer remote designs anyway. Just look on eBay or dealer sites for any Pioneer remote designed for Pioneer DVD/HDD recorders (check the listing photo to make sure it has buttons to select DVD and HDD). All Pioneer DVD/HDD remotes sold between 2003-2008 will operate all the functions of all Pioneer recorders, even if the remote is older or newer than the recorder.

The best Pioneer remote by far came with the 530/630 and has gray buttons on a silver background, VXX2967. These are incredibly durable under hard use, easy to operate by feel in dim light, and easy to take apart and clean. The black remote VXX3288 that came with the final 560 recorder is almost as nice, followed by the "meh" white 540/550 remote with sliding cover you're familiar with.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The best Pioneer remote by far came with the 530/630 and has gray buttons on a silver background, VXX2967. These are incredibly durable under hard use, easy to operate by feel in dim light, and easy to take apart and clean. The black remote VXX3288 that came with the final 560 recorder is almost as nice, followed by the "meh" white 540/550 remote with sliding cover you're familiar with.

I tend to prefer the door-less Pio remotes. Find myself constantly sliding the door open and closed....maybe just a result of the way I used the machine. Probably should just remove the doors from my DVR-450 remotes, but I hate the idea of altering the aesthetics of my electronic gear wink.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
My last Mitsubishi VCR had a flipping door below the jog shuttle knob, I used the buttons so often I just removed the door. It was easy enough to clip it back on if I ever wanted but I didn't until I stopped using it. A Sony VCR I had not only had buttons under the door but also on top of the door frown.gif needless to say I couldn't remove that door. The top buttons just pushed the bottom buttons but how it worked was when the door was open it flipped a little switch so the remote knew what set of buttons you were pushing, ah the good old days biggrin.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page