not getting all cable channels on the mag 533 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
Used auto channel to set up channels from basic cable service. I'm getting most of the channels, except for three. Have rescanned and same thing happens. Any thoughts on how to get these three missing channels to show up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143

Some of your cableco's "physical" channels your other devices get might be remapped to different "physical" channels in the Mag since it has a different tuner... it's a "hybrid" (switched" tuner that you have to switch between analog and digital channels.

First, look for CONTENT, NETWORK, CHANNEL CALL SIGN, & PROGRAM to see if what you're looking for might be on a different physical channel # in the Mag.

More detailed info here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for your reply. So I have basic cable 1 to 125 channels, but the basic channnels i want are at 192 and 704. Do I just punch those numbers in and they will show up?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143

The Mag has physical ANALOG channels 1-125 and DIGITAL channels 1-135. You have a remote "switch" (the DTV/TV button) to switch between the two types of channels.

If you have cable, you should have done an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) to see what unscrambled channels the Mag can tune by itself, without a cable box.

The cableco's high-numbered channels are VIRTUAL channel numbers that your Mag will RE-MAP, or assign to, its 1-125 or 1-135 PHYSICAL channels. SO, you'll have to do an auto channel preset then surf the Mag's channels and LOOK for the same content as in the high-numbered channels, as I stated above... i.e., you can't tune a PHYSICAL channel like 192 or 704, so you'll have to correlate the show content, network and channel name (TNT, NBC) or call sign (WABC, KRLA), etc. to see where those channels ended up in the Mag.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydagny View Post

thanks for your reply. So I have basic cable 1 to 125 channels, but the basic channnels i want are at 192 and 704. Do I just punch those numbers in and they will show up?

No, they might be remapped to a wide range of numbers. The channels you find will be those that are not scrambled by your provider.

Be patient when looking for digital "channels." There are potentially thousands of "channels and sub-channels" in the 1-135 range. The channels and sub-channels will appear at such locations as 87.4 or 118.22.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page