DVD recorder powered up, but didn't record - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my Panasonic DMR-EZ485V programed to record an OTA network show last night. It powered up, and powered down on schedule, but the counter remained at 0, and nothing was recorded. I scheduled a test recording this morning, and it worked fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I think Digado has posted on this before calling it something like the 0 bug and I agree it's just one of the little bugs inherent to the EZ recorders. Nothing you can really do about it but luckily it doesn't happen very often, it's a pain when it does though frown.gif
If you happen to be around when it happens you can try powering on and then off the recorder and it may start recording, otherwise you could push the OTR button(REC button) several times for the duration of your program and it will automatically stop after the duration you've pushed OTR.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This 00:00 freeze-up on pause before launching a scheduled recording is a bug/design defect present in the EZ series (2007 and later recorders) and three ES series models from 2005 (those being the DMR-ES10, DMR-ES20 and DMR-ES40).

If one is present when this 00:00 freeze-up occurs press the reset button behind the front panel fold down door. That should allow one to regain control of the recorder within a minute or two. Then power off the recorder so that the recorder might start the scheduled recording.

A possible work-around is to power on the recorder briefly on the same day of the scheduled recording. Of course, this will be of little use if one will not have access to the recorder on the same day as the scheduled recording.

There are other work-arounds for scheduled recordings for EZ series recorders.

1. Use actual dates for scheduled recordings, even if those programs are recurring. Avoid the use of recurring scheduling, e.g., daily, every Tuesday, every Saturday, etc.

2. Ahead of unattended scheduled recordings in the early morning hours after midnight schedule a brief "dummy recording" that bridges midnight, say 11:59 p.m. to 12:01 a.m.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Good to know I'm not alone. I was present at the time. We were about 10 minutes into the show, when I noticed all the zeros. My wife had set it up in case she fell asleep before the end of the show, but she managed to stay awake, so no harm done. Personally, I wouldn't bother recording it in the first place. I'd just get the show from the internet the next day or so.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgezzer View Post

Personally, I wouldn't bother recording it in the first place. I'd just get the show from the internet the next day or so.

Lucky you! What if that was a live show? Not all of them are on the internet. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Lucky you! What if that was a live show? Not all of them are on the internet. biggrin.gif

That's a different story. In this case it was a regular show that is available on the web for several weeks. I just don't see the point of putting the wear on the machine if I don't have too. Then again, I'm kind of person that has to replace my car tires because the rot with a lot of tread left on them.smile.gifeek.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page