Panasonic DMR-ES10 "NO READ" error message - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

recently something happened to my DVD recorder Panasonic DMR-ES10 and it no longer records or plays anything.

It was purchased in 4Q/2005, so after more than 7 years it is broken now. Maybe its life span is over? I have read some reviews/eperiences with this model and it seems to be quite faulty, but it would be pitty to throw it into bin without no attempt to repair it. I'm not sure if my Enlish is good enough to describe the problem (English is not my native language), so I have made a video of the problem as well.
The problem is everytime I not only insert a DVD into it, but also when I turn it on it says NO READ, but when it was working correctly after turning it on it always displayed "NO DISC" message. After inserting any DVD (I used Panasonic DVD-RAM mostly) it always display NO READ, even with the DVDs which were working fine with this very model for tens or hundreds times.

I have already tried some cleaning advices (I have cleaned the lens - the laser-eye thing gently with cotton dipped into alcohol as well as hub/spindle - that rubber circular thing) in following threads with no succes. I still get the NO READ error message.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/989230/has-anyone-been-able-to-fix-a-panasonic-dvr-that-stops-reading-discs/30#post_18163777
http://www.avsforum.com/t/989230/has-anyone-been-able-to-fix-a-panasonic-dvr-that-stops-reading-discs#post_13081915

I don't know what else I could do, but my technical skils are limited as I'm not that tech savvy to replace capacitors for example. All I can do is to open it up, precisely clean and reassemble once again, that's it I'm afraid.

So here is the video of what it does after turning it on (sound is quite low, but you can hear it). When there's no DVD inserted, recorder does this "attempt to read" 5 times, when there is a DVD inserted it tries to read it 10 times. Every time recorder does this "forth and back" move, the DVD moves a few milimeters, but doesnt want to spin. Perhaps there is something wrong with the motor spinning the DVDs?
http://videobam.com/QFgYy#

Any tips/help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artes View Post

Hello,

...So here is the video of what it does after turning it on (sound is quite low, but you can hear it). When there's no DVD inserted, recorder does this "attempt to read" 5 times, when there is a DVD inserted it tries to read it 10 times. Every time recorder does this "forth and back" move, the DVD moves a few milimeters, but doesnt want to spin. Perhaps there is something wrong with the motor spinning the DVDs?
http://videobam.com/QFgYy#

Any tips/help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

I'm unable to access your video at the moment. This post describes the sounds made by a problematic DVD Drive when it spins up:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Played OK for me and it sure sounds like a bad laser, interesting one can actually see the laser emitting a red light.......
I'd say it sounds like a job for Mickinct but considering the machine(HDD less ES-10) I can't see it would pay.....
The machine would still work good for a passthrough machine, which apparently some like to do with the old ES-10s.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
My firewall at work would not allow me to play your video, but if your machine sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfs1m2mTKM

Then you have a bad laser assembly, and it must be replaced. The best way to do this is NOT to send it to Panasonic service, but to the AVS forum member MICKINCT. I recommend you send him a PM (personal message) and describe your problem.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
His video sounds just like that but the advantage with his is you can actually see the laser repeatably hitting the spindle as it makes the noise.
Wonder why your firewall stopped you from playing the video confused.gif unless that site hosts dubious things so it's blocked.....
post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Wonder why your firewall stopped you from playing the video confused.gif unless that site hosts dubious things so it's blocked.....

The firewall where I work stops all kinds of things. The new software for this site is almost unusable beause of what it blocks.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I'm unable to access your video at the moment. This post describes the sounds made by a problematic DVD Drive when it spins up:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

I uploaded a video to the first site I found where I didn't have to register, but I have just uploaded the video also on a file sharing site, so you can I see it. I would appreciate your opinion on the problem shown in a video. You can download the video here:
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1359060121

I have already cleaned rubber spindle/hub and laser (gently), but I think I will clean and reassemble whole drive and hopefully it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Played OK for me and it sure sounds like a bad laser, interesting one can actually see the laser emitting a red light.......
I'd say it sounds like a job for Mickinct but considering the machine(HDD less ES-10) I can't see it would pay.....
The machine would still work good for a passthrough machine, which apparently some like to do with the old ES-10s.
I feared it's something with either spindle or laser and also I pressume Mickinct doesn't live in Europe, so international shipping costs (plus thank you reward) would cost me quite a lot.
Any use of my recorder is better than resting in a bin smile.gif Thank you for your advice. I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

My firewall at work would not allow me to play your video, but if your machine sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfs1m2mTKM

Then you have a bad laser assembly, and it must be replaced. The best way to do this is NOT to send it to Panasonic service, but to the AVS forum member MICKINCT. I recommend you send him a PM (personal message) and describe your problem.
I have also uploaded the video on a file sharing site, so if it still doesn't allow you to see the video, you can download it here:
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1359060121

I think the person in the video you posted has the same problem (although the first and the last "forth and back sound" is slighly different, but it could be recorder model dependant maybe) as I do in my video, but I would appreciate if you could watch the video. I can also make a youtube account to post there if needed.

I only cleaned the surface of the laser, I didn't reassemble it, do you think cleaning and reassembling the laser would help or I would need to replace/buy new laser component?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artes View Post

...I didn't reassemble it, do you think cleaning and reassembling the laser would help or I would need to replace/buy new laser component?

Don't attempt to disassemble the DVD Drive beyond removing the top cover.

Reassembly of the DVD Drive is somewhat complicated, not for the novice.

The laser assembly is a unit that must be replaced as a unit. Don't attempt to disassemble the laser assembly.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I pressume Mickinct doesn't live in Europe, so international shipping costs (plus thank you reward) would cost me quite a lot.

I didn't realize you are not in the US. Sorry. If the laser assembly is bad, you wil not be able to repair it, it must be replaced. Essentially, it's a burned out light bulb. All I can recommend is a Panasonic repair facility.

Luke

post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for your help.

I wanted to avoid going to a serive centre, because repairing my recorder would get relatively costly, but it seems my only options are either repair my recorder at Panasonic service centre or use it as a passthrough machine and buy a newer model for recording. Or somehow get working laser unit for this model for cheaper than in a Panasonic serive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I didn't realize you are not in the US. Sorry.
You couldn't have known as I didn't specify where I live, no need to be sorry at all smile.gif thanks for your help.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page