DVD/VHS Combo Recording and Playback Question (Recorded TV shows are dark) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a JVC DVD/VHS combination unit. I also own a Magnavox DVD/VHS combination unit. Both are connected to the same outdoor antenna. I use a booster so that I don't loose anything from the splitter. In fact I have used this same set up on older units. The problem I am having is, whenever I record a show on my Magnavox and then play it back on my JVC the picture is very dark. The Commercials look ok, but the shows themselves are considerably darker. I don't have this problem when I record the same shows on the JVC. Could anyone provide me theories about what could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How old is the JVC? Is it a "genuine JVC" like DR-MV1, DR-MV5, or DR-MV7? Those earlier units had issues with their video circuitry being noticeably brighter than most others. If you've grown used to that look, the Magnavox recordings can appear dramatically darker, possibly due to a mismatch between playback circuits.

If the JVC is a newer post-2006 model made by LG, it should roughly match the output of the Magnavox.

Try playing a Magnavox and a JVC recording in a PC, and also in the dvd players of a couple friends/relatives. Do they both look look normal and roughly similar? If so, everything is fine and your JVC simply doesn't decode the Magnavox dvds properly. Just don't use the JVC to play the Mag discs and you should be OK.

If you notice a huge difference in appearance between Magnavox and JVC recordings when played on PCs or other people's players/TVs, the unit that produces the poorer recordings is defective and needs to be repaired/replaced. If that turns out to be the Magnavox, and you bought it at WalMart, their return/exchange policy is extremely generous: you should bring it back to the store for exchange even if its six months old.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I guess that's an issue related with 0 and 7.5 IRE black level settings in our friend DVD recorders.

If the video signal has a 0 IRE black (Funai's choice), the display's brightness control will need to be set higher than if the signal has a 7.5 IRE black (eg. Samsung choice). Also, just check in the menu of your JVC if is there's any IRE setting.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page