Channel Master CM 7400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if I'm in the right sub-heading for this, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to 'break free' from cable, and/or satellite, and try this? If anyone doesn't know, it is an OTR (over the air) regular TV (you all remember stuff coming from an antenna, don't you?) DVR. It will record two shows, and you can watch another. I'm buying an antenna, and am thinking of buying this for the regular broadcast TV shows, and also thinking of getting the Roku box, and getting the playon 'app' for it. (I will start another thread on the appropriate sub heading for that). But, before I do all that, I need to know if this OTR DVR is worth the money, and I also need to find out more about that 'playon' app for the Roku box, if most of the stuff on there is free, or I have to buy it. If I have to pay for each 'channel' I want, plus pay for netflix, and/or Hulu plus (for TV shows), then I'll be spending almost as much as I was with Dish.

So, I've been to Best Buy, and HH Gregg, and 'picked' their brains, except the people I got, didn't know anything about playon, and all the channels you can get on there. So, basically, I wasted my time there. If anyone can help me decipher all this, I would appreciate it.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
AVS has a whole subforum on HD recorders, this forum is for SD DVD Recorders. Here is a link to the HD forum and currently the master thread for the 7400 is down about 10 lines.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders
I have a Tivo HD which I use for OTA reception and I really like it but Tivo with a lifetime subscription will be the most expensive option(~$600 or more) but like many things it seems with HD DVRs you really get what you pay for smile.gif
I have no experience with streamers.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I found it. But, since you mentioned TIVo, I was looking at those, and it appeared that they only worked on internet based applications, or cable. I couldn't find a unit that worked on the same basis as the Channel Master. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
John
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

If you want a standalone, OTA DVR that "just works", and won't give you headaches from time to time like all the others, just go with the TiVo and be done with it (jjeff is right - you do get what you pay for with these things).

You can get a brand new TiVo Premiere, with an OTA tuner (latest model), on ebay, for only $80 (w/free shipping). Then, go to www.retailmenot.com and search under "TiVo Coupon Codes", and there's one right at the top of the list, that has an 80% chance of working (code is "PLSR"), that'll give you $100 off the lifetime service. If that one doesn't work for you, just do an internet search for "TiVo coupon codes", and you might find one that does. People in the HDTV Recorders forum here are still finding ones that do).

When you go to the TiVo.com site to activate your unit and sign up for lifetime, just enter the promo code when they ask for it (I think they ask at an earlier point than when you actually hit the final checkout prompt, so watch for it). You won't get affirmation of the discount until you get the follow-up email.

Total comes to only $480.

There are two, separate forums here for streaming (not including the HTPC ones) - one for hardware, and one for content. They're easy enough to find. PlayOn's got a discounted deal going right now. It's inexpensive (I think the lifetime fee's only $40). Hulu (not Hulu Plus, which you have to pay for) is available through PlayOn. Netflix you have to pay at least 8 bucks a month for. The PlayOn site has the pricing, available channels, and all the other details you want.

The Roku has hundreds of official and private channels, and lots of free programming and good, free movies (like on Crackle). Two good sites to see what's all available though it are Streamfree.com and Catastrophe girl.com. The Roku also has apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu.

ClearToLand likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilotc182 View Post

Thanks for the link, I found it. But, since you mentioned TIVo, I was looking at those, and it appeared that they only worked on internet based applications, or cable. I couldn't find a unit that worked on the same basis as the Channel Master. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
John
Just go to the CM-7400 thread that jjeff referred to and read the last couple pages of posts. You can also do the same for the TiVo Premier thread. The TiVo is more advanced than the CM-7400 and doesn't get as hot as a toaster. Pay attention in the CM-7400 thread to the steps people take to cool their units and avoid premature heat-failure. Also the CM-7400 is not very usable as a DVR without a guide and the guide costs $50/yr -- forever. There is no lifetime option like there is for TiVo.

Also, when you go there, don't post in blue. Just leave the default text color and size so people can actually read what you have posted.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Also, when you go there, don't post in blue. Just leave the default text color and size so people can actually read what you have posted.
+1
Many people, including me, use a blue background, blue on blue.........well you can imagine biggrin.gif
Oh all Tivos except the 4 tuner model can receive OTA as well as cable, the 4 tuner model is cable only frown.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propilotc182 View Post

But, before I do all that, I need to know if this OTR DVR is worth the money,
Everyone will have their own opinion on this and it all depends on how you want to use your DVR and what kind of experience you expect from it. So I will give you my opinion. Compared to buying a TiVo with lifetime for a bit more money, I would say NO, the CM-7400 is not worth the money. TiVo out-classes it in just about all respects, especially continuing support.

I have had mine in use for 4 years for OTA exclusively. Anyone who suggests a TiVo is overkill for OTA is speaking nonsense.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 10 Old 05-18-2013, 02:04 PM

I agree. I own the CM7400 runs hot. locks up every week or so. Nothing like the clock stuck and no recording happened. I am constantly restarting and resetting They have crappy support. I was going to return it as I bought a refurbished on through channel masers web site and try to get a RMA number but they give you the run around so that is never going to happen. They love to give you the run around unless your buying from them DON'T BUY THE CM7400.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-24-2013, 10:51 AM

I have to agree, the 7400 is troublesome. IN fact I was on this very forum I WAS praising it for how great it was almost 2 years ago.
My unit died in about 11 months, the HDMI output stopped working, analog output was still working.
Thankfully at the time, Channel Master was allowing a 1 year warranty even though originally it was a 3 month warranty.
With some going back and forth with Channel Master, they accepted my unit for return, checked it out and agreed the HDMI output stopped working.
They sent me a new one, its been working ok for, once again, almost a year.

I assume it was the 7400 for some reason the HDMI port on my TV where the 7400 was plugged in, is blown too, the other 2 ports work fine.So I am not 100% sure if the TV blew the CM7400 HDMI port or the 7400 blew the TV HDMI port, I suspect the 7400 is guilty, simply because the other ports work fine. I have a Pani Plasma. The new 7400 has now been working ok for almost the last year. We REALLY enjoy using the unit but faith in it lasting long term is gone.

They do run hot.
The newChannel Master unit seems to work a little better then the last one, very few issues, once in a while, though rare we do repower the system, maybe every 4 or 5 months.
I will suck wind on this, after all the praise I gave the unit in this forum but for me it still worked out ok since there are not many options out there for OTA tuners/recorders.
We have been using OTA only and do not miss a cable box. We also have a Roku etc and stream .
I LOVE not having a pay TV bill for junk we do not watch.

We still like the 7400, IF I was to go revist this I would be VERY tempted to say go with the TIVO if you can get the price down to $500 or less. Better said since the 7400 is discontinued I would not even consider buying one. They are troubled units but, again worked out ok for us and we really like it, not sure how long it will last though!

As of today I see the 7400 is discontinued I will be tempted to see what Channel Master is replacing it with and would assume the next one will be more stable.
Channel Master did the right thing for us and backed their product and would be tempted at the right price to try their next product if this one fails.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blocknlot View Post

As of today I see the 7400 is discontinued I will be tempted to see what Channel Master is replacing it with and would assume the next one will be more stable.
They are replacing it with the new CM-7500.

- kelson h

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page