DVDs finalized using Pioneer DVR-520H will play in standalone DVD Players, but not on computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I successfully transferred a few old VHS tapes using a vcr hooked directly into a Pioneer DVR-520H. These tapes were not encoded with macrovision. The recorded DVD-Rs were finalized using the DVR-520H. The files on the DVD-R are info, bup, and vob files. The DVD-Rs play fine on any of 4 standalone DVD players, but will not play in any of my computers using a variety of software programs such as WMP, Realplayer, VLC, PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro, etc., etc. What do I need to do to get these DVDs to play in computer software? I tried using various programs like ImgBurn, Nero, Aimersoft Video Converter and none worked. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hmmm since the finalized discs work on all your DVD players but non of your computers I suspect there is a piece of software on all your computers that is preventing the discs from playing back.

Do any of your computer drives recognize the files or does it say something like “no disc inserted”
post #3 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Rats.frown.gif

I believe you've just hit on a "new" problem that I hadn't been aware of. Prompted by your question, I just tried to play a few DVDs finalized on my own Pioneer 520 recorder in my newest PCs. My experience reflects yours: absolutely no go in any software player I have installed. This is not good news.

After the 520 DVDs failed to play, I tested DVDs made on all my different recorders going back eight years. None of the DVDs burned on recorder models that don't finalize with an auto-run menu. I tried discs from a Pioneer 510, Pioneer 520, Pioneer 531, Pioneer, 540, 550, 560, JVC DRM100, and JVC DRMV5. All of these create a DVD menu that doesn't auto-run upon loading: it needs to be invoked with the Menu button of the player. About half the DVD recorders ever sold create this type of manual menu, and half create auto-run.

The "manual menu" discs will appear in Windows Explorer and My Computer, when opened I can see the usual VIDEO-TS folder and the expected files inside that folder. But the discs won't play in Windows Media Player, KL Player, or Media Player Classic. Attempts to drag the discs or VIDEO_TS folder into the open player windows results in either a black screen or an application freeze. Utilities like the SlySoft suite randomly insist the discs are defective and won't do anything with them.

I never had an issue playing or using these discs in my old Windows XP systems, and these discs all still play fine in Apple Macs running various versions of OS X from Tiger to Leopard to Lion. These discs play normally in all my Philips and Panasonic DVD players, my Pioneer and Magnavox DVD/HDD recorders, and an LG BluRay player.

The ONLY systems that will not handle these manual-menu recorder DVDs are my newest Samsung and Lenovo laptops running under Windows 7. There seems to be some odd interaction between Windows 7 underpinnings and certain types of recorder-burned DVDs. I can't imagine where to begin troubleshooting this, since it isn't consistent: Windows 7 *will* allow media software to play DVDs burned with auto-run menus (Magnavox 513 or 2160, DVDflick, AVStoDVD)..

I'm glad you brought this to our attention, Rob_Chew, or it would have been ages before I thought to check my old DVDs in a new PC. I can't say I'm glad the problem exists, 'cause I'm completely stumped.

Anyone else notice this issue?
post #4 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: OLD DVDR 'Finalized DVD' Won't Play on NEW Windows PC...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob_Chew View Post

I successfully transferred a few old VHS tapes using a vcr hooked directly into a Pioneer DVR-520H. These tapes were not encoded with macrovision. The recorded DVD-Rs were finalized using the DVR-520H. The files on the DVD-R are info, bup, and vob files. The DVD-Rs play fine on any of 4 standalone DVD players, but will not play in any of my computers using a variety of software programs such as WMP, Realplayer, VLC, PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro, etc., etc. What do I need to do to get these DVDs to play in computer software? I tried using various programs like ImgBurn, Nero, Aimersoft Video Converter and none worked. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Hmmm since the finalized discs work on all your DVD players but non of your computers I suspect there is a piece of software on all your computers that is preventing the discs from playing back...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Rats.frown.gif

I believe you've just hit on a "new" problem that I hadn't been aware of
    . Prompted by your question, I just tried to play a few DVDs finalized on my own Pioneer 520 recorder in my newest PCs. My experience reflects yours: absolutely no go in any software player I have installed. This is not good news...
    My FIRST thought is 'Missing CODEC'.

My second is to visit 'CDFreaks', then 'VCDHelp' to SEARCH for the answer. NOTE: Those are the ORIGINAL names that I remember - they should re-direct or GOOGLE will find the NEW names.

Also, since VLC has a reputation as being the 'Most Universal Player', I'd try an older version of VLC to see if they were *FORCED* to remove a CODEC from the latest version(s)... {Thinking}

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #5 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Try with GOM Player.

Also this remember me when I couldn't read more data from floppies done in Windows 95/98, due to "cyclic redundancy check errors" in XP machines. mad.gif
post #6 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Going from memory here, but I remember having a Panasonic DMR-E20 (circa 2001) that did not write an AUDIO-TS folder. This caused compatibility problems with portable DVD players and computer DVD players, because they were expecting to see an AUDIO-TS folder even though it was never used.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #7 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions ClearToLand. I am familiar with all the programs you mentioned. The discs I used to burn would definitely play in computers back in the XP era so this is a problem that surfaced somewhere in Windows Vista/7. As CitiBear stated, all the usual files are there in the video_TS folder so the discs are being burned and finalized as they should. I have tried various codec packs such as K-Lite. I only have a handful of DVDs in this situation so it's not a terribly big deal, but I was curious as others may have more extensive tape libraries they want to burn to disc. I also don't know if using more modern recorders such as the Magnavox 537 would have the same problem.
post #8 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

I believe you've just hit on a "new" problem that I hadn't been aware of. Prompted by your question, I just tried to play a few DVDs finalized on my own Pioneer 520 recorder in my newest PCs. My experience reflects yours: absolutely no go in any software player I have installed. This is not good news.

After the 520 DVDs failed to play, I tested DVDs made on all my different recorders going back eight years. None of the DVDs burned on recorder models mfd prior to 2006 will play. I tried discs from a Pioneer 510, Pioneer 520, Pioneer 531, JVC DRM100, and JVC DRMV5.

Wow. I'll have to dig out a disk I recorded on my Panasonic E-85 and see if I can play it with VLC on my Win-7 machine.

I'm hoping it will fail so I can run it through all my software and see where it screws up. I doubt it is a missing codec. VLC is self-contained and has played many DVD.iso rips on my Win-7 PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The discs I used to burn would definitely play in computers back in the XP era so this is a problem that surfaced somewhere in Windows Vista/7. As CitiBear stated, all the usual files are there in the video_TS folder so the discs are being burned and finalized as they should. I have tried various codec packs such as K-Lite. I only have a handful of DVDs in this situation so it's not a terribly big deal, but I was curious as others may have more extensive tape libraries they want to burn to disc.

Is this problem limited to the VCR transfers you were attempting? What about other stuff you have recorded from TV through the 520 tuner and burned to disk. Do all your 520 recordings behave this way or just these VCR transfers.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Is this problem limited to the VCR transfers you were attempting? What about other stuff you have recorded from TV through the 520 tuner and burned to disk. Do all your 520 recordings behave this way or just these VCR transfers.

Good question! Unfortunately, I no longer have any off-tuner DVD-Rs to try, but I will do one by tomorrow to see what happens.
post #11 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just recorded a 10 minute off-cable TV program and finalized the disc in the Pioneer. It plays perfectly on a Win 7 Pro PC using PowerDVD 12. It must have something to do with the way files are created when doing a direct VCR-DVR (line input) transfer to disc.
post #12 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

All of my DVDs that fail to play under Win7 were recorded via line input from a cable decoder box.

I don't see what effect the source input could possibly have on ability of Win7 to get the hell out of the way and let software players and/or ripping utilities recognize the discs, but apparently it must if Rob_Chew is NOT experiencing the issue with discs recorded from the Pio 520 built-in analog tuner. I don't think there can be any interaction between input selection and disc finalization. Why the heck discs recorded from the tuner will play but not discs recorded from line input is for sure gonna turn out to be yet another asinine obscure Windows 7 defect. I'm in no mood to troubleshoot it: since the discs in question play fine on *everything else* from a twelve year old DVD player to a new BD player, and in every iteration of Mac OS since 1998, and in Win XP, I'm writing this off as a typically stupid MS glitch.

On one hand, it really isn't that important, because I never play my old TV dvds on a computer. OTOH, it is damned annoying because it makes me think there might be some casual but fatal flaw in the finalization scheme of old recorders that has rendered these older discs potentially unplayable in future. Also, any thought of making backup discs is suspect because dvd utilities running under Win7 can't reliably read the discs properly to rip and copy them.
post #13 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

confused.gif

Since all the DVR-520H DVDs work in Windows XP - If either of you still have a windows XP machine the first thing I would do is compare a DVR-520H line input recorded DVD to a DVR-520H built in analog tuner recorded DVD and see if you can notice any differences in the DVD structure. Open it in as many programs as you have and compare.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

confused.gif

Since all the DVR-520H DVDs work in Windows XP - If either of you still have a windows XP machine the first thing I would do is compare a DVR-520H line input recorded DVD to a DVR-520H built in analog tuner recorded DVD and see if you can notice any differences in the DVD structure. Open it in as many programs as you have and compare.

I think I solved it. I found a Windows XP laptop and the VHS to DVD-R disc played fine in PowerDVD 8 on the XP laptop. I compared the file structure between the 10 minute OTA disc I made vs. the VHS to DVD-R transfer disc. The file structure appeared to be identical except for the length of the files, of course.

I went back to my Windows 7 PC and tried to use AnyDVD to rip to a harddrive folder so I could further compare the files. When I attempted to copy the VHS to DVD-R transfer disc to a folder, I got an IFO Format 3 error in AnyDVD which then aborted. I contacted my developer friends at Slysoft and they told me what I had to do was go into Video, settings, and uncheck "copy protection based on unreadable sectors". Once I did this, the DVD I made now plays perfectly in PowerDVD 12. So, that's one solution at least if you're using AnyDVD. If you're not and still cannot play the discs you made then I don't know.
post #15 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I contacted my developer friends at Slysoft and they told me what I had to do was go into Video, settings, and uncheck "copy protection based on unreadable sectors". Once I did this, the DVD I made now plays perfectly in PowerDVD 12. So, that's one solution at least if you're using AnyDVD. If you're not and still cannot play the discs you made then I don't know.

Doesn't fix the problem in my systems, unfortunately. Uninstalling the SlySoft suite was the first thing I tried: AnyDVDHD has been updated so many times this month I figured it might be some new bug. With or without AnyDVD installed, with or without the "unreadable sectors" box checked, none of my software DVD players under Windows 7 will load or play any DVD burned with a manually-activated menu.

I've gone back and edited my two prior posts to reflect my further testing: I was initially wrong about the DVDs burned on my later Pioneer 540, 550, 560 recorders loading OK. Turns out they don't play reliably: 4 out of 5 times they fail. DVDs made on my earlier Pioneers 510, 520, 531 fail every time, as do DVDs burned on JVC DRM100 and DRMV5.

I compared the file structures, as you did Rob_Chew, and found them the same as you reported. The only apparent difference between DVDs that play and those that won't is the presence or lack of an auto-run DVD menu. Discs with auto-run, such as commercial pressed DVDs, DVDs burned on Magnavox recorders, or DVDs authored with PC software like DVDflick and AVStoDVD will all load and play normally. But discs burned on Pioneer or JVC recorders that only finalize a manual menu fail nine times out of ten.

I've decided to just not worry about it. My laptops are known to be buggy brands: Lenovo and Samsung make nifty laptops but they're notorious for being allergic to any update MS provides beyond the original Windows 7 build loaded by the factory. This has to be some narrowly-specific goofup between Windows 7, my laptop hardware, and the various software players. The DVDs in question work fine in Windows XP, Mac OSX, or standard DVD and BD hardware players.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks CitiBear for the info and time you spent testing. It must have something to do with the autorun files then. For me it was more of a curiosity as I now only have maybe 2 or 3 DVD-Rs in this situation, and I'm now able to watch those with the workaround I mentioned. I also have a newer Magnavox recorder that I'm pretty sure will not cause the same problem should I need to transfer more tapes to disc in the future.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I also strongly think CB is onto something with his autorun theory smile.gif Without a top menu the program just doesn't know that to do with the disc and just looking at the file structure it might not be that easy to see the difference, as to why discs recorded from the tuner work but not line inputs is really a odd mystery......
post #18 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Without a top menu the program just doesn't know that to do with the disc and just looking at the file structure it might not be that easy to see the difference.

Its funny, jjeff: you and I and several others have been here since the stone age heyday of DVD recorders (a mere seven years ago!), so we take for granted little recorder quirks that were very common when there were many different recorder brands available. But over the last few years, there really has been absolutely nothing available to Americans beyond the Funai-made Magnavox and Toshiba units. Most of the newer people browsing these forums probably have no frame of reference aside from a Funai-designed recorder. This can make it difficult to describe once-common recorder features that just don't exist anymore. This annoyance with the "non auto run" DVD menus is one of those maddening topics that defy a simple two or three word description: recorders haven't worked this way since 2008. So to be absolutely clear for those who might not understand what a 'non-auto" DVD menu is, let me tediously explain:

It isn't quite accurate to say these DVDs don't have a top menu: they do. The difference is, for reasons known only to their eccentric mfrs, many earlier recorder models did not code the DVD menu to automatically display on screen as soon as the DVD is loaded (like all commercial Hollywood studio discs do). Instead, when you load a DVD burned by one of these earlier recorders, nothing happens: you hear the player chug along until it finishes loading the disc, but then it just sits there and plays dead. You need to "manually" bring up the DVD menu by pressing the Top Menu or Disc Menu button on the player remote, or click those buttons in a PC software player. Alternatively, you can just push the Play button (and indeed most software players bypass the menu and go directly to play automatically).

While a bit confusing to those who've never owned a recorder that burns DVDs this way, it hasn't ever been a real problem. The underlying DVD structure is bog standard (if anything, Pioneer DVD recorders were among the first to burn broadly compatible DVD-Rs). As long as you know you need to press a button before the DVD will play or show a menu, there wasn't any issue. Until now, apparently: Rob_Chew and I have discovered our Windows 7 hardware doesn't much like these "manual menu" burned DVDs. It wasn't a problem under any previous version of Windows, it isn't a problem using set top DVD and BD players, it isn't even a problem with Mac OSX Lion (which typically conflicts with everything in the known universe). Only software DVD players under Win 7 seem to choke on these manual-menu recorder-burned discs. Rather irritating, considering how many millions of discs were burned by classic Pioneer, JVC and Sony recorders with manual menus.

Google has been pretty useless on this topic: every search returns the usual result about "Windows 7 and 8 cannot play DVDs until you install your own codec" blah blah blah. That isn't the issue here: other DVDs play just fine. Grrrr.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Win7 laptop at work, I'll try and remember to bring the Pio 460 sample disc you sent me many moons ago and see if it plays. It plays fine on my home PC with Vista and VLC media player but did take a long time to automatically(I didn't have to do anything) bring up the main menu smile.gif
Just tried and WMC just sat there and wouldn't do anything with the disc......either way my PC shows a disc name of LOGICAL VOLUME IDENTIFIER for the disc name.....never seen that before.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was initially wrong about the DVDs burned on my later Pioneer 540, 550, 560 recorders loading OK. Turns out they don't play reliably: 4 out of 5 times they fail.

Well this is bad news for me as my RDR-HX780 has the “manual menu” flaw.
When I make copies I never use my RDR-HX780 I always use windows, my PC. Plus I randomly check my home made discs for errors using Nero Speed. Hopefully by the time I update to a newer version of windows this thing will be fixed. I wonder if Win-8 has this problem?
Quote:

…the Pio 460 sample disc … shows a disc name of LOGICAL VOLUME IDENTIFIER for the disc name…

I wonder if that’s confusing Win-7?

In any case the freeware program “IfoEdit" is an excellent program for checking things and changing flags. I have used IfoEdit many times to change flags. For instance you can add a flag to make discs region free. And as shown in my example below - for anamorphic WS DVDs you can add the 4:3 LB and 4:3 P&S flags which I have done many times and once the flags are in a user can select WS or center-cut when viewing a anamorphic WS DVD on a standard 4:3 TV.

Click on image for larger view
Later I will look for the “auto menu pop up” flag.

The problem is I only have Win XP so if I change things around (change the flag to auto menu pop up) I won’t know if it fixes things for working with Win-7. I realize that we can’t re-do all our old discs but I’d like to find out what is causing the error and maybe inform MS - I am hoping that Win 7 will add a fix for this.

Quote:

I contacted my developer friends at Slysoft and they told me what I had to do was go into Video, settings, and uncheck "copy protection based on unreadable sectors". Once I did this, the DVD I made now plays perfectly in PowerDVD 12. So, that's one solution at least if you're using AnyDVD. If you're not and still cannot play the discs you made then I don't know.
Quote:

Doesn't fix the problem in my systems, unfortunately.

I wish I had Win-7 to see if it that works for me.
post #21 of 32 Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reminder about ifoEdit, Super Eye: when I get a chance, I'll download it and try to "reverse engineer" an auto-run trigger for the Pioneer/Sony DVD menu. Maybe that would help?

The only aspect of this that bothers me is that in a few years, we're all probably going to have dump the contents of our DVDs into some huge mass storage medium accessed by Windows to feed our TV displays. With CDs well on the way to joining 8-tracks in the dustbin of history, I have no illusions that DVD players are gonna be around forever. I'm fine with using disc images loaded from a server, because it would preserve thumbnails, custom chapter markers, etc. But if newer Windows variants don't like the original DVDs, they probably won't like images of them on a server, either. I'm not keen on the idea of transcoding a couple thousand DVDs into H264 files just to please a suddenly-finicky OS.

BTW, the DVDs burned on Pioneer/Sony recorders have always appeared as LOGICAL VOLUME IDENTIFIER in both Windows and Mac OS. DVDs burned on older JVC recorders appear as JVC DVD_ROM.
post #22 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

in a few years, we're all probably going to have dump the contents of our DVDs into some huge mass storage medium accessed by Windows to feed our TV displays . . . . I'm fine with using disc images loaded from a server, because it would preserve thumbnails, custom chapter markers, etc.
In a few years? You should have been doing that already, bear. smile.gif

All people need is ImgBurn to make an .iso from their unprotected DVDR-made disks.
Costco has 3TB Seagate externals for $130 and 4TB externals for $160.
800 DVD-R on a single 4TB HDD.
Then an inexpensive media player (WDTV Live) will play those DVD.iso as if the disk were in a player.
Don't need a Windows server. A NAS unit is as good or can be better, or just plug the drive directly into the media player.

People might actually watch some of those disks they are burning if they were easily accessible from their armchairs. tongue.gif

- kelson h

post #23 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have a Win7 laptop at work, I'll try and remember to bring the Pio 460 sample disc you sent me many moons ago and see if it plays. It plays fine on my home PC with Vista and VLC media player but did take a long time to automatically(I didn't have to do anything) bring up the main menu smile.gif
Just tried and WMC just sat there and wouldn't do anything with the disc......either way my PC shows a disc name of LOGICAL VOLUME IDENTIFIER for the disc name.....never seen that before.
Played just fine on my Win7 laptop using VLC and also PowerDVD 8. VLC automatically brought up the title menu while PowerDVD automatically started playing the first title, I don't know that to say but it sounds like I should count my blessings smile.gif
post #24 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Costco has 3TB Seagate externals for $130 and 4TB externals for $160.
800 DVD-R on a single 4TB HDD.
$99(after $30 rebate) for a 3 TB WD external(USB2) HDD, wow it looks like HDDs are finally down to pre-tsunami prices smile.gif
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=556458&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=PvTvb1zzm2o-8QdbJSgKeXusDTVjdSAENQ
post #25 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wow it looks like HDDs are finally down to pre-tsunami prices smile.gif
When the sale price for the 2TB is in the $70-$80 range, then I'll believe it.
$129+tax+shipping - $30 mail in rebate, meh.
post #26 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

When the sale price for the 2TB is in the $70-$80 range, then I'll believe it.
$129+tax+shipping - $30 mail in rebate, meh.
Did you miss that he was talking about a 3 TB drive?
Amazon price for bare 2TB performance Seagate drives has been jumping up and down like a yo-yo for weeks between $90 and $110. The $90 price is pre-flood price for a 7200 rpm drive of this caliber. 3 TB Seagates in the same series have been hovering around $130.

- kelson h

post #27 of 32 Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you miss that he was talking about a 3 TB drive?
Amazon price for bare 2TB performance Seagate drives has been jumping up and down like a yo-yo for weeks between $90 and $110. The $90 price is pre-flood price for a 7200 rpm drive of this caliber. 3 TB Seagates in the same series have been hovering around $130.
No, I didn't miss that...apologies for switching gears between 2TB and 3TB, and sale prices vs. regular prices.

My poorly communicated point was that I had been using the 2TB price point as the barometer, which hasn't yet reached the $70-$80 mark yet for sale prices. I agree that the 3TB would be ok for me if I didn't have to pay tax on it.
post #28 of 32 Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

No, I didn't miss that...apologies for switching gears between 2TB and 3TB, and sale prices vs. regular prices.

My poorly communicated point was that I had been using the 2TB price point as the barometer, which hasn't yet reached the $70-$80 mark yet for sale prices. I agree that the 3TB would be ok for me if I didn't have to pay tax on it.
I have also used the 2TB price point as a barometer. The last 2TB Seagate drive I bought just before the flood was $80 -- but that was a 5900 rpm drive, which is just fine for a NAS unit. They don't seem to be selling those Seagate 5900 rpm drives any more, just the 7200's When the 5900's do pop up, they are usually priced higher than the 7200's.. The preflood of the 7200's was $90.

I want to move to 3TB drives for my new array so hopefully the 4TB drives will push them to the $120 range.

- kelson h

post #29 of 32 Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I got all of my 2TB drives (WD Essentials) on separate Black Friday sales for $70 each. Will probably never see that price again. frown.gif
post #30 of 32 Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Liked: 11
Hi All,

Thankyou for your exploration of this issue, as I believe it may relate to the fact that I am unable to play ISO files (created from my Pioneer finalised DVDs) on the WD TV Live unless I want to watch them with menus disabled.

I downloaded so many ISO creators, and the only one that was able to work to a satisfactory degree was DVDFab, and that is because it had the option to remove the menu. However, I want to see the menus I created (all the hours I put into creating my nicely thumbnailed and titled menus lol)

I should also note that I also had difficulty making ISO's that work on WD TV Live from my Panasonic finalised DVDs, until I used DVD Shrink.

Additionally, both Pana and Pioneer DVD's work on my XP PC using VLC, however I am about to consider getting a windows 7 laptop, but after reading this thread I will check my pioneer and pana ISO's with a friends Win 7 pc beforehand.

I will download Ifoedit (as mentioned in this thread) to attempt to change the auto menu option (if that option exists) and see if that helps the pioneer ISO's to work on WD TV LIVE.

I was considering buying another media player (as most of my home made dvds were made with the Pioneer), but this thread has convinced me not to bother, as it appears that this Pioneer manual menu issue causes many issues for both Win 7 and media players.

Anyone had any luck changing the manual menu flag, or in general, has anyone been able to play Pioneer made DVD's (with menus) on the WD TV LIVE.

Also, has anyone found out if they work on Windows 8 (using VLC or something else of the kind)

CHeers,

Dr D.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page