About to add a DVR into an existing AV setup.... help.... (semi-rookie) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A/V receiver............................ Onkyo TX-SR606 (yes, the one that has HDMI problems...)
TV............................................ Pioneer Plasma 5010
BluRay..................................... Panasonic
Cox Cable box
Harmony 1 remote
JBL and Polk speakers

And now adding a Panasonic DMR E80H DVR ( has hard drive and burner).........

About 4 years old. No HDMI... either component or S-video. Just purchased from friend. Just will use to record shows/sports to be viewed later. Will not burn HD content onto disc.

Just tried setting up...
*L/R audio out from Cox cable box to audio-in on DVR
*Audio out from DVR to audio-in on Onkyo receiver
*S-Video on cable box to S-Video on DVR
*Component out from DVR to component in on Onkyo receiver

Does this sound right?

After spending lots of time in awkward positions connecting everything, I'll wait 'til tomm morning to see if it all works....

Anyone have experience with hooking similar rig up? Any details/ideas, please jump in.... Thanks......

"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." W. Somerset Maugham

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Your hookup sounds right, assuming all settings are correct, but your terminology is a bit off. DVR stands for Digital Video Recorder,, which is what the cable co. supplies you with, aka "PVR," or "personal video recorder." Your Panasonic is a DVD Recorder, and is abbreviated as "DVDR."
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for reply.

I can't seem to get the unit completely working. The part of it that I care least about, watching DVD movies, works fine, but I use my BluRay player for that. Recording TV shows onto the HDD is what I can't seem to get straight, and that's what I got it for.

The E80H will not 'collect' any of my channels past 125, and I have many, many more channels with my Cox cable provider.

"Like most weak men, he prided himself on never changing one's mind." W. Somerset Maugham

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf1 View Post

Thx for reply.

I can't seem to get the unit completely working. The part of it that I care least about, watching DVD movies, works fine, but I use my BluRay player for that. Recording TV shows onto the HDD is what I can't seem to get straight, and that's what I got it for.

The E80H will not 'collect' any of my channels past 125, and I have many, many more channels with my Cox cable provider.

You don't record "channels" with your DMR-E80H, you record from the line input where the Cox cable box is connected to your E80H.

The DMR-EH80 is quite an antique, dating from 2003.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your correction of my "terminology". Hence the thread title... from a "semi-rookie".

I've been fiddling with it.... not looking good. My buddy said I can return it....

Next problem to take care of.... sending in the Onkyo to Dave, the famous EBay repairer of TX-SR606 HDMI boards.... to fix the receiver issue.

post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Make sure the cable box is hooked up to the s-video "in" on the recorder, and not the s-video "out" - and the recorder's set to use that input.

If you can watch DVD's from the Panny through the Onkyo OK, then the problem must be before the Onkyo.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try that tomm morning....thx.

Ravens.... Game score... SF > 2 turnovers, Ravens > 1 turnover, =Game, Set, Match............. Though I did think that was holding by the Ravens corner back in the end zone....

post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Make sure the cable box is hooked up to the s-video "in" on the recorder, and not the s-video "out" - and the recorder's set to use that input.

If you can watch DVD's from the Panny through the Onkyo OK, then the problem must be before the Onkyo.

Exactly. That should take care of the problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

The hookup worked. But, it's just a hassle to set up date/times for recording, not a simple/fast menu like Tivo.

What would be other alternatives to record TV shows to watch later? I think I saw on EBay a Tivo Series 3 TCD648250B unit with 'Lifetime Service Media' for about @ $300 I believe. I hate the thought of paying Cox any more money than I already do to lease a modern DVR....

Oh, a semi-hijack of my own thread (good at that)... I love the 'Hoppa' commercials with the folks with the Massachusetts accent... lol.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page