Magnavox MDR533H Clock problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased this unit about a month ago after asking for recommendations on this site. I am impressed with the features it has but it isn't the most user friendly device. The manual isn't all that great either. I have not been able to get it to keep time. I have tried all of the clock setting options: Manual Setting, Analog Auto Setting, Digital Auto Setting for various channels, but whenever I switch it to standby the correct time is displayed on the front panel for about five seconds and it then displays --:--. I noticed that every few seconds the unit emits a whirring noise, (fan?), for a few seconds, then is silent and then repeats this sequence. I have studied all of the information on this unit that I can find on this site without result. Have I missed something or should I return it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Did you already read through the excellent post http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575 by Wajo? If none of his tips work I would return it. Mine arrived (from Walmart) DOA so I returned it and am going to go with the HD Homerun Dual http://www.silicondust.com/ (since I have a spare laptop I can dedicate). This solution will end up cositng me less than $150 including extra wiring from my router to the HD homerun plus I will get full HD recordings for my Over the Air setup.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139

Go to Display menu > OSD Language, select English, then click OK, The menu should disappear immediately to show that it "took" that command.

Then go to Clock > Auto Clock and set to OFF.

If you really need Auto Clock, do the 11:57 Procedure described here.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I read everything on Wapo's post involving the clock and tried the 11:57 procedure, (very clever). Unfortunately, setting the clock to 11:57 had the same result as setting it to any other time, it displayed this time for five seconds and then reverted to --:--. Eventually I was able to get through by phone to Tech Support who concluded it was defective and recommended returning it. I did so today and ordered another one in the hope that this was just a random failure. I also purchased the 36 month extended warranty, (which I rarely do), since DVD players and recorders seem to be more trouble prone than other electronics. When I receive the new one I'll report on how well it works.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Mine whirrs constantly and I assume it is the fan. I am hearing impaired and it drives me crazy, even without my hearing aids in. Is this a defective unit or "normal". I am going to return it but don't want to order another if it is normal. I will look at the silicone dust website as I am also recording OTA.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

I received my new DVR and have been using it for a couple of weeks. All of the problems I encountered with the original one disappeared. It keeps good time, autoset works as it should, and there is no fan noise when it is in the standby mode. Apparently, it was just a defective unit. Walmart's return policy was hassle free and efficient.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDRUser View Post

I received my new DVR and have been using it for a couple of weeks. All of the problems I encountered with the original one disappeared. It keeps good time, autoset works as it should, and there is no fan noise when it is in the standby mode.

That are good news. The stand by fan noise is only present on my 2160A.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Is the fan noise loud when the unit is turned on and not in standby?
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemofjoy View Post

Is the fan noise loud when the unit is turned on and not in standby?

No (2160A & 513H).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page