Magnavox 535 hdd/dvd recorder - how to connect to analog tv for OTA channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone help me connect my new Mag 535 up to my analog tv. I have an outdoor antenna with a cable coming into the house. Is there a chart somewhere showing me the connections? I don't see a diagram for my situation in the manual. Can someone explain in simple terms for me? I'd be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterppp View Post

Can someone help me connect my new Mag 535 up to my analog tv. I have an outdoor antenna with a cable coming into the house. Is there a chart somewhere showing me the connections? I don't see a diagram for my situation in the manual. Can someone explain in simple terms for me? I'd be grateful.

See Sketch 1 here, with step-by-step and lots of explanatory text.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you! That Sketch 1 was just what I needed and now I am able to view all my channels perfectly.

Now I want to be able to watch a different channel at the same time I am recording the other. How can I do that? I am set up as in Sketch 1. If I tie my old Digital Converter Box into this system, will I be able to record one channel and view another? I tried putting the Converter Box in and must be connecting wrong because then I don't get all my channels. I've studied Sketch 1a for connecting additional equipment but still don't get how to do this. Is there another diagram showing which connections to hook to on the DVDR?

I have an outdoor antenna with RF coax cable, the Mag 535, a Digital Converter Box, analog TV with RCA jacks in the back and also on the front plus an S-Video jack (no HDMI),

Hope you guys can help me go further with this. Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterppp View Post

Thank you! That Sketch 1 was just what I needed and now I am able to view all my channels perfectly.

Now I want to be able to watch a different channel at the same time I am recording the other. How can I do that? I am set up as in Sketch 1. If I tie my old Digital Converter Box into this system, will I be able to record one channel and view another? I tried putting the Converter Box in and must be connecting wrong because then I don't get all my channels. I've studied Sketch 1a for connecting additional equipment but still don't get how to do this. Is there another diagram showing which connections to hook to on the DVDR?

I have an outdoor antenna with RF coax cable, the Mag 535, a Digital Converter Box, analog TV with RCA jacks in the back and also on the front plus an S-Video jack (no HDMI),

Hope you guys can help me go further with this. Thanks again.

The Mag's coax output is just a passthru of the raw antenna signal, so it can't deliver tuned channels to your old analog TV via coax. So, if your digital converter box has coax out, connect the box on the coax between the Mag and the TV so IT can tune channels separately for the TV. Then the Mag can tune channels and record them while displaying them thru a line connection, like YWR RCA (or S-Video + WR audio) from the Mag. Select that TV input to watch Mag stuff.

Note: This setup is only applicable to an OTA antenna system with an analog-only TV and a digital converter box (govt coupon box). A modern HDTV will have the tuner and input types needed so a digital converter box isn't needed. ("Digital converter box" is one of those originally sold for the digital transition, AKA "Government Coupon" boxes. A "Digital Transport Adapter," or DTA, is a different box that cable companies require to show their scrambled channels on a TV.)

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page