Any way to detect a badly burned DVD? Trying to weed out bad burns from my massive collection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.....so I have a massive DVD collection I'm talking thousands.....I usually use a combination of AnyDVD (Removes copyright protection) and CloneDVD (Burning Software) I have narrowed down maybe 30 discs that could have errors etc on them......at one point my cloneDVD was not working and I had to use a less reliable burning software which created some errors when watching certain discs. Since I am not really certain how many discs may be affected I was wondering if there were any scanning programs or methods to test the DVD's without having to watch them all the way through etc. I also don't want to have to re-burn 30+ discs if they do not actually have errors. Tried googling this issue but not much came up so I figured I would ask the experts. If anyone knows of scanners, or scanning techniques to weed out bad discs I will be in your debt forever! Thanks so much and hope to hear from the experts soon.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm sure that there are a number of pieces of software out there that will do the job, but what I use is a "hardware" solution. I have a DVD duplicator like this one. It has a test function. It will also verify disks so if you are making copies of a disk, it will compare the origianl to the copy. Yeah, I know, it's merely another piece of equipment, but it doesn't tie up any of my machines when I use it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Look for Nero DiskSpeed to scan the disk and report parity errors. The number of uncorrectable parity errors is the key item to look for. However, not all DVD drives will support the low-level functions required by the software. You will have to try it and see. You also need to pay attention to the read-speed you are testing at. A disk that tests poorly at the drives max read speed may test much better at speeds approaching a DVD player.

The danger with this type of testing is that PC DVD drives are generally vastly superior in their abilities to read marginal media vs. the drives found in consumer DVD players. So just because you can read the disk on the PC doesn't mean it will play in a DVD player without issues. The good part is the reverse -- if the disk starts skipping in your DVD player, your PC burner will most likely be able to read it in which case you can use ImgBurn to do a quick rip and re-burn/verify.

Like many medical tests, the true value of disk testing is realized by testing over time. If you have a test scan recorded soon after the disk was burned, you have a reference point for future testing to see if there is true deterioration and the extent of it. Of course that is too much trouble for all but the most anal dedicated.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

So what would be a safe speed to test at in your opinion? Thanks so much!
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

....The danger with this type of testing is that PC DVD drives are generally vastly superior in their abilities to read marginal media vs. the drives found in consumer DVD players. So just because you can read the disk on the PC doesn't mean it will play in a DVD player without issues. The good part is the reverse -- if the disk starts skipping in your DVD player, your PC burner will most likely be able to read it in which case you can use ImgBurn to do a quick rip and re-burn/verify..
Truthfully I've found the opposite to be true 99% of the time, that is when trying to backup a "iffy" DVD my PCs will crap out somewhere during the initial discovery or else during the actual rip but the same disc will play no problem in one of my standalone DVD players. My Pioneer players seem the best for playing iffy discs but at times one of my Sonys or even Samsungs may play a disc that would lock up one of the other players. The only time I've found what you said to be true is with some of my Windata DL burnt discs. About 20% of the time they have bad lockup issues when playing them back on a standalone player(mostly my Sonys have the issues but occasionally my Pios which if that is the case I just burn another copy which generally plays just fine). The funny thing is the same discs that have issues playing in my standalones seem to copy back to the PC just fine at which point I can burn a copy of that image and again generally the copy of the copy will play just fine in my strandalones. I never have problems with Verbatim DLs but at $35-$50/50 they are significantly pricier than what I get the Windatas for on sale, $30/100. The Windatas always seem to play fine on the first layer but the problems arise on the second layer(or I'm guessing since the problems generally start at ~ the half way point of whatever I'm copying).
Whenever using one of the Windatas I've got into the habit of playing them back right after the burn, visually search at the fastest speed which generally takes <5 minutes. If the disc plays I'm good if it locks up a bit(with my most prone player) I call it good, if it locks up badly or even a bit on my best player I burn another copy from my PC. I'm hoping the discs won't degrade even worse over time, if this happens I'll be kind of bummed and will be kicking myself for not following my advise to only use Verbatim DL media rolleyes.gif I never put anything irreplaceable on the Windatas, just DVD backups so if they start crapping out I will just be out the time and nominal cost of the blanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: Recovering CDs / DVDs with Errors...
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarmenfilms View Post

So what would be a safe speed to test at in your opinion?...
  1. Quote:

....The danger with this type of testing is that PC DVD drives are generally vastly superior in their abilities to read marginal media vs. the drives found in consumer DVD players...
  2. Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Truthfully I've found the opposite to be true 99% of the time...
So here you now have *TWO* DVDR Gurus with differing opinions. eek.gif

As a NON-DVDR Guru, with decades of technical experience, I'd suggest "1X Real-Time" as the *ABSOLUTE* way to test your discs. Keep in mind that *ALL* CD / DVD Readers / Players have "Error Correcting Algorithms" because they *EXPECT* errors to appear on *EVERY* CD / DVD. Whether or not they can correct it is dependent on the Reader / Player.

Sooo, *IF* you have a CD /DVD which WILL NOT playback correctly, you need to find a DEVICE which *WILL* playback it correctly and then use THAT device to feed to the OUTPUT to a Recorder to create a new *ERROR FREE* copy.

Easy, Peasy! wink.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember, it's only TV...
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Look for Nero DiskSpeed to scan the disk and report parity errors. The number of uncorrectable parity errors is the key item to look for. However, not all DVD drives will support the low-level functions required by the software. You will have to try it and see. You also need to pay attention to the read-speed you are testing at. A disk that tests poorly at the drives max read speed may test much better at speeds approaching a DVD player.

The danger with this type of testing is that PC DVD drives are generally vastly superior in their abilities to read marginal media vs. the drives found in consumer DVD players. So just because you can read the disk on the PC doesn't mean it will play in a DVD player without issues. The good part is the reverse -- if the disk starts skipping in your DVD player, your PC burner will most likely be able to read it in which case you can use ImgBurn to do a quick rip and re-burn/verify.

Like many medical tests, the true value of disk testing is realized by testing over time. If you have a test scan recorded soon after the disk was burned, you have a reference point for future testing to see if there is true deterioration and the extent of it. Of course that is too much trouble for all but the most anal dedicated.

Ok so I've downloaded the program and I'm using the scandisc option and the only speeds it gives me are 8X and maximum......just doing a read test....is this correct for what I should be doing? So far all discs have been fully green.....I have my suspicions that I may not be doing this right. Can you please give me a list of how to get to the correct test for my DVD's.....thanks so much guys really hope this works.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 223
IMO the most useful test in CDSpeed is the 'Transfer Rate Test' (TRT).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page