restore to original blank condition and format a DVD+RW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magnavox MDR515H/F7 DVR-DVD player/recorder
Is there any program that will return a DVD+RW to original blank condition so the Magnavox would recognize it as a blank DVD? I want to format some DVD's so that I can use them on the Mag. They were used on a Vista computer and the Mag now does not recognize them. A full erase by imgburn did not return the DVD to a blank condition such that the Mag would recognize it as a DVD.

An alternative may be a program that would format a DVD after a full erase by imgburn but perform the same format as the Mag does. Much searching has produced no answer. Funai Service can provide no more info than that the unit does "DVD formatting". I have the Applian Replay suite but it seems to do everything except format a blank DVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Can you burn something to those +RWs on the PC, then play them on the Mag? If they play on the Mag, then go to Disc Edit under Menu, and try Erase disc.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

No. The Mag does not recognize them as DVD's whether or not there is anything burned onto them. They are somehow changed by any interaction with a computer so the Mag does not see them as a DVD no matter what I do.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm...what brand are these +RWs?

They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Memorex. I have read some negative comments about this brand but I don't see how the brand should make any difference for this particular problem. Memorex DVD's format and play with no problem in this unit.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mags are very, very pick about the brands of RW-able discs they'll accept. And it seems yours no likey the Memorex RWs. My combo dvd recorder/vcr Mag ZV457MG9 won't accept Maxell -RWs. It will record to Office Depot & Sony -RWs though...They record to and play fine on a Panasonic EZ47.

So, a change of brands may be all that's required.

They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies Westly-C. I will go to the Depot and try another brand.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Did you try erasing them in windows?
On my Vista PC to erase a RW disc I insert disc, click START, COMPUTER, hover over the drive that has the DVD installed and along the top you should have the option to erase(or I think even format) the disc.
I'm also not a big fan of Memorex but unfortunately it's about all some stores sell now days mad.gif If those discs used work(or you've used similar Memorex discs before in your Magnavox) it means your DVDR should be OK with Memorex discs.
Of what you said the oddest thing is if you record a program to the disc on another DVDR(or even PC) and it won't play on your Magnavox.......thats really odd confused.gif
If you record a program on the discs on your PC do they play on a standard DVD player?
post #9 of 13 Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM

I still have a few Philips HDRW 720 recorders and it's very very picky when it come to +RWs. What I use is an old version of Nero (7) and I found that it works very well on the FULL erase command, it doesn't work on the QUICK erase command. Not sure about other computer-based software that the OP was using but I would try a full erase if the OP used the quick command.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

The brand of DVD is not the problem. Trying other brands makes no difference whatever. The problem was being ignorant of formatting issues.

A DVD formatted on the DVR has to be reformatted by Windows to be used by Windows, but if formatting or anything else is done to it in Windows, it seems it can never be formatted by the Mag again. So a blank DVD must become either a Mag formatted disc or a Windows formatted disc. A full erase by imgburn or Vista will not restore a DVD to a condition that the Mag recognizes as blank. Manual formatting is not a feature of the Mag. So perhaps there is no way to restore a DVD to a blank state acceptable to the Mag's automatic formatting.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by giemorthot View Post

A DVD formatted on the DVR has to be reformatted by Windows to be used by Windows, but if formatting or anything else is done to it in Windows, it seems it can never be formatted by the Mag again. So a blank DVD must become either a Mag formatted disc or a Windows formatted disc. A full erase by imgburn or Vista will not restore a DVD to a condition that the Mag recognizes as blank. Manual formatting is not a feature of the Mag. So perhaps there is no way to restore a DVD to a blank state acceptable to the Mag's automatic formatting.
rkg22 was having this problem awhile ago. I did not have the problem, and we eventually determined that his computer's DVD drive was somehow not fully erasing the discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/22440#post_22705459
post #12 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giemorthot View Post

No. The Mag does not recognize them as DVD's whether or not there is anything burned onto them. They are somehow changed by any interaction with a computer so the Mag does not see them as a DVD no matter what I do.

I ran into a similar problem with my Pioneer decks.
After transferring videos, If I erased the RW's with my computer, no way would they be acknowledged by the Pio's.
The only way I could re-use them (on Pio's) , was to ONLY reformat them on the Pio's...never on my computer.
It looks like the same thing may be happening to you.
Hope this helps.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch7 View Post

The only way I could re-use them (on Pio's) , was to ONLY reformat them on the Pio's...never on my computer.

Yes, that is the problem with the Mag. It is automatic format only so I can't do what you could do on the Pio. If the DVD is not recognized as blank, no formatting will occur. I gather that the Pio had a manual format feature.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page