Panasonic DMR-E85H please wait, error, change disc, loop. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new here so I hope this works.
Last year my E85 went dead. I sent it to McAllen and they refused to fix it because of lack of parts. When I got it back, I dove in into it and repaired it myself. I replaced all caps on the PSB except the main cap which my supplier had sent the wrong one. I also replaced a 27V zener (D1110),which had opened up. Also replaced IC 1150.

Everything worked fine and my machine was back to running condition. Last week, I was watching a dvd and all of a sudden the picture froze. The remote had no control. No stop, no off, nothing. Pulled the plug. Plugged back in. Went into please wait, error, press enter, bye, please wait, L1, change disc. Tray will not open. Disassembled. Removed disc. Tryed again. Same thing. Up to change disc. No disc in it. Current situation. Powers up, HD spins, fan comes on, no action of any kind in the DVD drive. No movement. no laser light, tray will not open, DVD light on, cannot switch back to HD, goes through the please wait, error press enter, bye, power on, please wait, L1, change disc, loop.
Caps all look OK, ribbon cables OK, front panel connections OK, does have 5V and 12V supplies at HD and disc drive connector on main board. Talked to a Panny engineer, and he has no idea at this point.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If it's the laser emitter, it will need to be replaced. Contact forum member MICKINCT and see what he has to say. As far as repairs go, he has a good track record, and many endorsements from members here. He has repaird my machines two or three times, always properly, with very good comunication.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping he might answer this, but being new on here, I don't know how to contact him.
If you can help me here, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robboot View Post

I was hoping he might answer this, but being new on here, I don't know how to contact him.

See ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/u/7545541/mickinct
Click the above link and select Send Private Message to send a PM to Mick in CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post

PM means "Personal Message" which means it will go right to him and him alone. Provide your phone number in the PM and he will likely call you direct. You can see your messages by looking at the top right hand part of the screen near your user name where it will list the number of messages that you have.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #5 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

If it's the laser emitter, it will need to be replaced. Contact forum member MICKINCT and see what he has to say. As far as repairs go, he has a good track record, and many endorsements from members here. He has repaird my machines two or three times, always properly, with very good comunication.

Quote:

If you can help me here, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you.

Sorry, I didn't notice your total posts listed as 1 at the time or I would have given you the appropriate link. I believe that question has now been answered by tomwil.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 12 Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM

When you do get your recorder fixed, only use it to make dvds, not watch dvds. You can buy very decent DVD Players now for $30-$40.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The remote had no control. No stop, no off, nothing. Pulled the plug. Plugged back in. Went into please wait, error, press enter, bye, please wait, L1, change disc. Tray will not open. Disassembled. Removed disc. Tryed again. Same thing. Up to change disc. No disc in it. Current situation. Powers up, HD spins, fan comes on, no action of any kind in the DVD drive. No movement. no laser light, tray will not open, DVD light on, cannot switch back to HD, goes through the please wait, error press enter, bye, power on, please wait, L1, change disc, loop.

Same situation with my DMR-E85: had it unplugged for a while during a spate of summer thunderstorms (actually, mostly the threat of storms - not much rain here in IA last year). Plugged it in, HDD made some erps and chirps, and then the dreaded, unresponsive "Please Wait."

Sent it to MICKINCT, and I just burned some discs on it a couple days ago - good as new. Definitely well worth having repaired. Good luck!

Lawrence
post #8 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Same situation with my DMR-E85: had it unplugged for a while during a spate of summer thunderstorms (actually, mostly the threat of storms - not much rain here in IA last year). Plugged it in, HDD made some erps and chirps, and then the dreaded, unresponsive "Please Wait."

Sent it to MICKINCT, and I just burned some discs on it a couple days ago - good as new. Definitely well worth having repaired. Good luck!

Lawrence
It's a matter of money invested in 8 year old technology. The 85 has my Magnavox beat in all respects as far as editing
and editing options, viewing while dubbing, recording while dubbing, and it's ability to view from one chapter to another, while the Magnavox stops at the end of the viewing chapter, and putting together play lists, but, the Magnavox with it's built in digital tuner and upgrade, has the
advantage of picture quality over the 85, even using a digital converter. In short, the picture quality of the Magnavox falls in between
viewing the HDTV and the E85. Most definitely a difference. As long as you don't view the three together, The E85 surpasses the Magnavox
in most aspects. The remote on the Magnavox has the most poorly laid out buttons I have ever seen. But if you don't have an HD recorder, there isn't much choice anymore. In short, I guess you could say, it's better than nothing at all. Repairing it is still on the table as far as choices are concerned.
Then, there is always the chance, with it's age, 6 months down the road, who knows. I fixed it myself last Sept with all new caps, and a couple other parts that shorted or opened,and it worked liked new until last week. I don't want to deter anyone from fixing their E85's or similar, they can be worth it.
But that option may not be for everyone. I have a new working Magnavox, and I generally cuss at it daily because of the remote layout and not so hot editing
it does. I bought it for the simple reason, it was still available in case I lost my 85 permanently, and like I said, it was better than nothing.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yep, I have machines from the Philips/Magnavox line for OTA recording. If you're recording OTA, it's hard to beat them as inexpensive time-shifting and archiving machines. The editing function was a bit of a come-down after using the Panny, but then I realized that I mostly just do front/end cuts, sometimes cut out commercials, give the programs titles, and burn 'em. Don't even bother with thumbnails nowadays. I prefer to have the Phil/Maggie's excellent PQ rather than the extra editing features. My "daily driver" is still a Philips 3575, with the clunkiest remote of the series, and yet I've adapted to it to the point that it doesn't bother me.

My E85 serves mostly for audio time-shifting (connected to a Sony XFDR-1 digital tuner) and VHS dubbing. Paired up with the Zenith DTT-901 or Channel Master CM-7000 "CECB", I can get surprisingly crisp OTA recording on the '85, too, though I'm watching it on a 32" LCD TV, so I'm somewhat shielded from the problems of watching SD material on a big HDTV. Using these machines certainly involves a certain amount of compromise - and a tolerance for SD program material (still infinitely better than my old EP VHS tapes!).
post #10 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Yep, I have machines from the Philips/Magnavox line for OTA recording. If you're recording OTA, it's hard to beat them as inexpensive time-shifting and archiving machines. The editing function was a bit of a come-down after using the Panny, but then I realized that I mostly just do front/end cuts, sometimes cut out commercials, give the programs titles, and burn 'em. Don't even bother with thumbnails nowadays. I prefer to have the Phil/Maggie's excellent PQ rather than the extra editing features. My "daily driver" is still a Philips 3575, with the clunkiest remote of the series, and yet I've adapted to it to the point that it doesn't bother me.

My E85 serves mostly for audio time-shifting (connected to a Sony XFDR-1 digital tuner) and VHS dubbing. Paired up with the Zenith DTT-901 or Channel Master CM-7000 "CECB", I can get surprisingly crisp OTA recording on the '85, too, though I'm watching it on a 32" LCD TV, so I'm somewhat shielded from the problems of watching SD material on a big HDTV. Using these machines certainly involves a certain amount of compromise - and a tolerance for SD program material (still infinitely better than my old EP VHS tapes!).

Got a question. You mentioned a Zenith DTT 901. I bought two DTT 900's way back when the big switch was on. Used the $40
coupon deal. Since Sept of 2011, my only source has been OTA. I dumped DirecTV after 11 years. Just got tired of all the money
and a couple hundred channels and nothing to watch. Hell I can get nothing to watch for free. Broadcast TV does not interest
me much anymore. Growing up as a teen in the 50's, I saw TV go from 4 minutes of commercial time to the present 9 minutes for a half hour program and 8 minutes for an hour to 18 to 19 minutes for an hour. Not counting all the pop up ads during the program, plus the annoying 1/4 of the screen filled with logos and other crap. I have plenty of VHS tapes, Beta tapes, store bought singles and season sets, and self made dvd's to watch the rest of my life and not see a re-run. My biggest problem is deciding who to leave all this stuff to.
Getting back to the Zenith DTT900. I have a problem with both of mine and the cause is baffling. When recording or watching a program
tuned thru the converter box, it suddenly changes aspect ratio out of the blue. Then it may or may not change back. It's set for 16:9. If I'm watching or recording a program in 16:9. and it goes to break, the screen suddenly shifts to a narrow 4:3, even though the commercial may be in 16:9. Watching the TV set to full mode for 16:9 sudeenly changes. I recorded Survivor last week and when I played it back, I watched the last 15 minutes in a horizontally squished mode. If I happen to catch the switch when it happens, a quick power off, power on, of the converter box, brings the screen back to the previous setting of 16:9. I have noticed it mostly on the big 3. CBS ABC or NBC.
Has this ever happened to you? I thought maybe the one box went bad and connected the other, and it did the same thing. I never know when it will happen. It may go thru a couple hours ok, then again, it can go anytime.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

...You mentioned a Zenith DTT 901. I bought two DTT 900's way back when the big switch was on. Used the $40 coupon deal....Getting back to the Zenith DTT900. I have a problem with both of mine and the cause is baffling. When recording or watching a program
tuned thru the converter box, it suddenly changes aspect ratio out of the blue. Then it may or may not change back. It's set for 16:9. If I'm watching or recording a program in 16:9. and it goes to break, the screen suddenly shifts to a narrow 4:3, even though the commercial may be in 16:9. Watching the TV set to full mode for 16:9 sudeenly changes. I recorded Survivor last week and when I played it back, I watched the last 15 minutes in a horizontally squished mode. If I happen to catch the switch when it happens, a quick power off, power on, of the converter box, brings the screen back to the previous setting of 16:9. I have noticed it mostly on the big 3. CBS ABC or NBC.
Has this ever happened to you? I thought maybe the one box went bad and connected the other, and it did the same thing. I never know when it will happen. It may go thru a couple hours ok, then again, it can go anytime.

That situation most likely originates with the network or station, not the Zenith.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #12 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

That situation most likely originates with the network or station, not the Zenith.
+1
You'd be surprised how many times local stations screw things up, the only thing baffling is when you said if you catch it and power cycle the box it corrects things......could be coincidence but that does sound like the CECB.....
You might want to check out the Zenith thread in the CECB forum at AVS to see if others have complained about this but off hand I don't remember much talk about that type of problem so again it just may be coincidence and your local station.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page