Panny dmr ez28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Posted awhile back about my ez28 not working. I tried to record a football game and the unit went haywire. I unplugged it and let it set when I pluged it back in nothing would work. I hit the reset button and the disc ejected. I put in a movie I recorded and it would play after I turned the unit on and off several times. The clock won't reset and the tuner will not program. I took it to A very good repair shop and they are telling me it needs a new compleat guts for the unit and they said it would cost 280.00 to replace everything. After looking on EBay and seeing the prices for used ones and new or like new units, I wondered if I should pay and get it fixed or look at the Walmart Magnavox unit. I loved my Panny but is it worth fixing or is going after the Magnavox with thr tuner a better move??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
What do you like most about your Panasonic? The EZ-28 can make some great looking recorders but personally I'd not like to rely on it for my main DVDR, it's just too problem prone. Unless you come up with a few dealbreakers only available on the Panasonic I'd really suggest one of the W/M Magnavoxes, much more bang for the buck and more reliable IMO. AFA fixing your EZ-28, you might want to give AVS member MICKINCT a private message to see if it's something he wants to take a look at. Other AVS members have used his services and report nothing but good.
http://www.avsforum.com/u/7545541/mickinct
post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I talked to Mike last night and he was a big help. He said the price for repair was in the ballpark by the time I
Would pay to ship it to him. As far as the Magnavox I want to have a USB port for my Sony video camera.
From what I read the Magnavox does not have that. That is my only hang up about it. I did check on Ebay and saw
Like recorders used from 240 to 450 used and like new and new from 400 to 700 Panny may reconsider getting back
In the market. Also I do a lot of recordings but get lazy and don't have approx. 50 disc that need finalized and can't remake.
I think if I could finalize these disc another way I would then consider the Magnavox.
Thank you for your input it did help!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping123 View Post

I talked to Mike last night and he was a big help. He said the price for repair was in the ballpark by the time I
I want to have a USB port for my Sony video camera.
From what I read the Magnavox does not have that. have approx. 50 disc that need finalized and can't remake.
I think if I could finalize these disc another way I would then consider the Magnavox.
You'd pretty much need another Panasonic to finalize those discs and only the Panasonic would have your USB along with SD slot not to mention the ability to record to DL media.
If you didn't need the tuner I strongly suggest a international Panasonic w/HDD which can be found as new returns for ~$250 from B&H. The EH-59 is a great machine and has USB and DL recording but no SD card slot nor the digital tuner.
Unless you were in a big hurry I'd keep an eye out on your local Craigslist.org where I see EZ-28's occasionally selling for ~$100 and more than likely little used. I purchased a almost new EZ-28 for $50 but this was a few years ago. You might find something in Youngstown but would probably have more luck in Cleveland, although that may be too far to drive. Most all CL sellers refuse to ship so I've always had to drive to the seller or meet in a nearby location.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page