Magnavox H2160MW9 Problems erasing dvd + rw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I have had this machine now for I guess about three years maybe a little longer with no real trouble until now. I use dvd rw discs to transfer recordings from the harddrive to my computer. Now when I try to undo the finalizing or erase the disc that was created in the same burner I get a recording error E 4. It plays all discs just fine. It records to dvd + r just fine it just won't erase an rw disc. I'm stumped. I did clean the lens by hand but it didn't help. Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137

That error means the machine thinks the OPC area is full (an area next to the hub for pre-recording tests done every time a recordable disc is loaded, and it stores/accumulates test results there). You could try cleaning the disc with a little liquid dish soap and water and soft cloth to see if that area is dirty... or you might have used the problem disc(s) so long that that OPC area is really filled up (but that takes lots of loads).

Try the disc cleaning first, then we can go from there?

post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply wajo. When it started I could play the disc for a few minutes and then it woul erase it. Today I decided to break down and clean it assuming that was the problem. I don't think I messed it up because everything else seems to work. I tried cleaning one of the discs. It didn't help. Maybe I need new ones. There are 20 in this pack that have all been used more than 200 times each.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyclan View Post

Thanks for the reply wajo. When it started I could play the disc for a few minutes and then it woul erase it. Today I decided to break down and clean it assuming that was the problem. I don't think I messed it up because everything else seems to work. I tried cleaning one of the discs. It didn't help. Maybe I need new ones. There are 20 in this pack that have all been used more than 200 times each.

Some RW discs in certain systems and circumstances will "fail" after many uses if you ERASE or FORMAT them to get rid of old titles.

People have had much longer RW life by DELETING titles rather than ERASE or FORMAT, which appears to be harder on the rewriteability of RW discs (based on user reports).

post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure how to delete the title vs erase it with this machine but I will look into it. I have got it working now. I guess when I cleaned the lens I did a poor job. I went back in and used a bit more alcohol this time. I am assuming that the laser assembly is self adjusting because I tried to adjust it and it just moved back on its own. I have three discs that I have tried today that it gave me an error on. After the second cleaning they are all erased.

Thanks for your help wajo. It is much appreciated.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page