Hooking up a DTV converter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I connected my Dish DTV Pal converter to my new Mag 533 dvdr, could it damage it? The main reason I want it is because of the onscreen tv guide and also the signal strength is stronger.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
No, it shouldn't damage it. All it would be doing is sending a video signal to the Magnavox, same video signal as cable boxes or sat boxes. The Maggy doesn't really care where the video comes from.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 21 Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

No, it shouldn't damage it. All it would be doing is sending a video signal to the Magnavox, same video signal as cable boxes or sat boxes. The Maggy doesn't really care where the video comes from.

Ok I just wanted to be sure before I hooked a digital tuner to a digital tuner! Lol

Thanks!
post #4 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkster View Post

Ok I just wanted to be sure before I hooked a digital tuner to a digital tuner! Lol

Thanks!
Don't bother. TVGOS will be gone from your area at the end of this month, at the latest.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Don't bother. TVGOS will be gone from your area at the end of this month, at the latest.[/quote

Just my luck- I guess I'll enjoy it until!
post #6 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You may not be aware that Rovi has pulled the plug on TVGOS as of last November and has been progressively shutting if down across the country. Final oblivion is scheduled for April 1 but it could disappear on any day.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You may not be aware that Rovi has pulled the plug on TVGOS as of last November and has been progressively shutting if down across the country. Final oblivion is scheduled for April 1 but it could disappear on any day.

I didn't know until you told me and visited a few websites and yes it could be anytime. It is sad and is rendering people's dvr useless. They are encouraging people to visit Rovi on facebook and let them know how you feel. Also Sony on facebook in getting it too. Thanks for the heads up! Here is a sample of one on Rovi's FB page:

" My two DVR's are worthless now, I spent a lot a money a few years ago on them. NEVER again will I buy something this company has its hands on. Rovi SUCKS!"
post #8 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm not sure but even without TVGOS you may get a PSIP guide(sent by the stations themselves) although PSIP can have a minimum of 12hrs guide, many times it can be several days depending on your local stations.
A 12hr guide is still better than the now/next many DVDRs have smile.gif
I say may because I'm not sure how the PAL CECB works without TVGOS, my CM7000 CECB has a nice PSIP guide as do some other CECBs.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'm not sure but even without TVGOS you may get a PSIP guide(sent by the stations themselves) although PSIP can have a minimum of 12hrs guide, many times it can be several days depending on your local stations.
I say may because I'm not sure how the PAL CECB works without TVGOS, my CM7000 CECB has a nice PSIP guide as do some other CECBs.

Yeah, I just read about PSIP a few minutes ago and I may be ok. Before I hooked up my Dish Pal, I was receiving a guide from my Mag but was very vague. It didn't give much detail and names of actors like the Dish does.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bear in the room with PSIP is the fact that it is transmitted by each individual station and is only received when that station is tuned in. It is unlikely that the Pal CECB -- or any single tuner device for that matter -- will go out and scan the channels to collect all the PSIP info and assemble a guide. It probably works like my TV in the kitchen -- press the guide button and the PSIP data will tell me what is playing on that channel in the future. If I want to see what's on another channel I just tune to it and read what comes in. Very different from TVGOS which was transmitted in its entirety on a single channel that was generally scanned for at night.

If the funai recorders weren't such minimalist machines they would be able to at least read the PSIP info for the channel they were recording and auto-title the recording -- the data is always there, no excuse for not using it and forcing the user to key in a title manually.

- kelson h

post #11 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

The DTV Pal Converter box normally fills it's own, internal guide from PSIP data, not TVGOS.

post #12 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
I bet there are a lot of pissed off Sony DVR owners.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If the funai recorders weren't such minimalist machines they would be able to at least read the PSIP info for the channel they were recording and auto-title the recording -- the data is always there, no excuse for not using it and forcing the user to key in a title manually.

How dare you criticize the Funai Corporation, you hater!  We know you have ulterior motiveswink.gif biggrin.gif.

post #14 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl View Post

I bet there are a lot of pissed off Sony DVR owners.

Huh? This is the "DVD Recorders" forum. confused.gif

post #15 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

The DTV Pal Converter box normally fills it's own, internal guide from PSIP data, not TVGOS.
Does it then display all the channel information on one screen or do you need to do as Kelson said which is to manually tune to each individual channel to see it's guide info?
I've never owned a Pal but I know you do, I thought it used TVGOS for it's own guide but I guess the TVGOS guide info was only passed onto legacy TVGOS equipment?
post #16 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does it then display all the channel information on one screen or do you need to do as Kelson said which is to manually tune to each individual channel to see it's guide info?
I've never owned a Pal but I know you do, I thought it used TVGOS for it's own guide but I guess the TVGOS guide info was only passed onto legacy TVGOS equipment?

jjeff, when you scan for channels in the setup it downloads the guide. .

Kelson you are right about TVGOS, I read the info on the Dish Pal and they do provide it. frown.gif
post #17 of 21 Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually, it automatically downloads the channel info for the whole guide by itself first thing when you turn it on. You have the option of aborting it and going right to live TV, though. Doesn't take too long, depending on how many channels you have programmed in. If you bypass it, it'll just do it channel-by-channel. At least that's how mine, which has the second-to-last firmware, behaves (actually, the last two firmwares let it lock onto, and only rely on CBS's time signal for timer setting - and believe it or not, that actually works. Unless it's been using the TVGOS time signal - then that's kaput now - haven't used it that way lately, so don't know. One way to find out would be to check and see if the listed time is consistent among channels. It always was before, but I don't have access to the box right now).

Right, to the second sentence. You put it in "TVGOS mode", and everything else about the box shuts down (menus, tuner). Button to turn it off's on the remote (you turn it on through the menu.

So, not a bad, little box - as long as bugs aren't rearing their ugly head (PQ is fine on my old, 32" Sanyo CRT).

post #18 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkster View Post

Kelson you are right about TVGOS, I read the info on the Dish Pal and they do provide it. frown.gif

No, they don't provide it. They only "convert" an existing signal from digital to analog.

The guide info the box itself receives and displays is PSIP data. That's different from TVGOS.

post #19 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No, they don't provide it. They only "convert" an existing signal from digital to analog.

The guide info the box itself receives and displays is PSIP data. That's different from TVGOS.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about with 17,390 posts. All I know when I pull up my menu on my Dish Pal converter, it tells about TVGOS and gives the website for additional help: tvgos.com/support
post #20 of 21 Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When put into a special "TVGOS mode", the box serves as a converter, which captures the OTA digital TVGOS, and then converts it to an analog form and passes it through to the old, analog TVGOS recorders to use to display in their guides.

The guide data that shows up in the Pal's own, built-in guide, when it's set up to show it, is most definitely, without a doubt, 100% postively, not TVGOS - it is PSIP guide data. The Pal CECB is not like the Pal DVR - it is not designed to provide and display TVGOS information in it's own guide - only PSIP.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM

My best buy tv has such a poor guide I'm looking my something to hook with a good guide.
Help?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page