Is there any dual tuner HDD-DVD recorder in the U.S. market? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post here, and not being all that tech-oriented I hope I can explain it clearly.

I had been living in Japan and had a Toshiba HDD-DVD recorder with a dual digital tuner, the model was the RD-Z300, 'Regza' was part of the name, and it had a hard drive of 160 GB.

It was a great machine. In addition to being able to record two programs simultaneously, I could even watch a third program through the deck's tuner while those two were being recored. Of course, the manual was in Japanese, and while i had no problem to use it to record and watch programs it took some time before I could learn how to dub programs from the hard drive to DVD. Even my Japanese friends had a very difficult time figuring out how the deck worked. (People there would complain Toshiba products are too complex.) I'm sure I only scratched the surface of what I could do with it, but it worked great and the quality built-in tuners (which I used for my TV viewing with my analogue TV after Japan went all-digital) of the recorded programs was outstanding.

Now I'm back in the U.S., and was looking forward to getting a similar deck here, in part because I'd be able to learn how to operate such a deck from the English manual. But after searching around, and reading some of the threads in this valuable forum, it seems that such a machine does not exist in the market here. Kind of a drag.

Unless anyone knows of older models that might be so-equipped. And if so, a question. Do/did the dual tuner models here--if there are/were any--allow for simultaneous recording of two programs and the viewing of a third?

Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 339
As far as stand-alone DVD recorder decks are concerned, the simple answer is no -- there are not now and have never been multi-tuner units. The only multi-tuner units are cable/sat/OTA DVR's which do not include disk burning capability. There are also multi-tuner cards/boxes for PC's. You could always roll your own by building a HTPC with multi-tuners and disk burners -- it's more work and expensive but it will do anything you could want.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

The only remaining HDD/DVD recorder in the U.S. is the single-tuner Magnavox described in the 1st link in my signature.

A list of HD DVR availability is here, in the HDTV Recorders forum.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...You could always roll your own by building a HTPC with multi-tuners and disk burners -- it's more work and expensive but it will do anything you could want.

Except filter out copy-protection?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlen View Post

And if so, a question. Do/did the dual tuner models here--if there are/were any--allow for simultaneous recording of two programs and the viewing of a third?

Only PCs and the DVD-less Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) do that, like TiVo or a cable company DVR. Some of them have up to four tuners, allowing up to four channels recorded at once. DVD recorders in North America never had more than one, and they were useless if channels were encrypted anyway (which is the majority on cable.)

You could hook up a DVD recorder to a DVR as an outboard burner. It'd be limited to real time playback (meaning if the show's an hour, the dubbing takes an hour.) TiVo also allows for transferring a recording to your computer's hard drive, and from there encoding/burning to DVD. That is if you even want a DVD at that point, because if I had it on a hard drive, I'd just play it back from there.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I use the 4 tuner Ceton InfiniTV. It works beautifully for my 4 TVs. They sell for near $200 new, but I've gotten a couple used for around $100. And since they have a fully integrated guide, they're much easier to use than HDD-DVD recorders.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well, I certainly got spoiled in Japan with the Toshiba deck I had there. Thanks for the suggestions on how I might go about replicating for dual digital tuners, but trying to do anything in series or with the computer is not for me.

After some looking around at the other suggestions--thanks Wajo, and what a valuable thread--it seems like the new-ish or latest Magnavox series of HDD-DVR DVD recorders with digital tuner, the 53x series, could be the best way to go. Just get by with one tuner, and it wasn't that often that I had a couple recordings going at the same time anyway.

What's seems odd is the 515 series is being offered new on Amazon for $280-ish, while the newer 535 (320 GB, more than plenty for me) is going for $230-ish from Walmart. Hmm....

I'll get over there and see it they have any of them on site for an actual look.

Thanks for you help, fells.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
And I use the HD HomeRun Prime that is networked and has 3 cable card tuners in it so there are options if your willing to go the HTPC route. I use my main PC set to sleep after 30 minutes and it works great for me too. I just wander in here every week or so and edit down my captures and watch them when I feel like it. So far most normal HD networks are copy freely and only the movie channels are copy once so I hardly ever get a capture that is protected. I have to use WMV in windows but it's not bad and works fine about 95 percent of the time. The issues I've had lately is bad guide info causing the box to capture my season recordings as the wrong show but I don't think I've missed anything I really wanted to get, I just delete the mistakes and they mostly happen with the ones I've set to get new and repeats. I have a 2tb drive in here I use for my edited captures, a couple of large externals on my media player out front to hold the older stuff, and just use the media player through the network to stream all my captures from here on the shared folders. There are a few threads here and elsewhere about these things if you want to give it a shot.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page