ImgBurn Downloads and Alternate Programs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For several years I had used the ImgBurn freeware to copy non-copy protected DVDs. With the purchase of a new desktop PC of course my ImgBurn application has gone away and I'd be happy to download it again--except that, when I go to the ImgBurn site, there appear to be several download options. none of which are provided by ImgBurn. I always wonder if these various download options are safe, i.e., I don't want to be downloading a monster virus inadvertently.

1) Should I be looking at a reliable commercial program? Several years ago I used some fairly comprehensive Nero application but it was cranky and hung up from time to time. When I purchased a new computer, the manufacturer suggested ImgBurn and it had served me well up to this time. I'm just a little nervous in downloading from ImgBurn's web site but not from ImgBurn itself, so.

2) Is there any way to identify safe downloading utilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Imageburn's mirrors are reliable. I've contacted the author about several things with the program, and I have no problems with using any of those mirrors. Having said that, the one I would trust the most is www.videohelp.com. You can download it directly from their site, and I would rely on it as reputable and not something that is going to infect your computer.

It is still the best program by far to burn discs.

SMK
ClearToLand likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139

download.cnet.com has been good for me and somewhere they used to say their SW has been virus-tested before being posted?

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Having said that, the one I would trust the most is www.videohelp.com. You can download it directly from their site, and I would rely on it as reputable and not something that is going to infect your computer.
I would second Videohelp.com. It is my primary site for acquiring software and utilities. I've never had a problem and if in doubt you can always have your virus software scan the download file (if it doesn't do so automatically).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

download.cnet.com has been good for me and somewhere they used to say their SW has been virus-tested before being posted?
Also a good and reputable site that I would second -- until recently. I have downloaded much from them over the years and never had anything undesired sneak through. But now it seems they want you to install a stub installer in order to download software. Ad-supported, no less. I refuse to do that.
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: Reputable Download Sites...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Imageburn's mirrors are reliable. I've contacted the author about several things with the program, and I have no problems with using any of those mirrors. Having said that, the one I would trust the most is www.videohelp.com. You can download it directly from their site, and I would rely on it as reputable and not something that is going to infect your computer...
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I would second Videohelp.com. It is my primary site for acquiring software and utilities. I've never had a problem and if in doubt you can always have your virus software scan the download file (if it doesn't do so automatically)...

...Also a good and reputable site that I would second -- until recently. I have downloaded much from them over the years and never had anything undesired sneak through. But now it seems they want you to install a stub installer in order to download software. Ad-supported, no less. I refuse to do that.
I've been using VCDHelp.Com, now Videohelp.Com, for almost a decade without problems. VCDHelp and Doom9 were my "Go To" sites for info. You'll find *MANY* useful programs at both sites.

Download.Com / CNET.Com *WAS* a good site *MANY YEARS* ago, but since they added the intermediary download LINK at least a couple of years ago, I've avoided them.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for helping me with my question. I used vide help.com and it went quite smoothly.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page