Panasonic DMR-EH55 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Panasonic DMR-EH55 from eBay to upgrade from another Panasonic unit.

Everything seems to work fine, but I am having issues copying to disks.

DVD-RAM disks that work fine in the other unit (a DMR-E100H) for copying and reading do not work correctly in the EH55. Usually the DVD-RAM disks will say that they are read-only or damaged. Others work fine.

I also had a DVD-R disk that was partially recorded in the E100H but will not work at all in the EH55.

I previously went from a DMR-E80H to the 100H and everything went fine.

Did something change with the EH55?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post

I recently got a Panasonic DMR-EH55 from eBay to upgrade from another Panasonic unit.

Everything seems to work fine, but I am having issues copying to disks.

DVD-RAM disks that work fine in the other unit (a DMR-E100H) for copying and reading do not work correctly in the EH55. Usually the DVD-RAM disks will say that they are read-only or damaged. Others work fine.

I also had a DVD-R disk that was partially recorded in the E100H but will not work at all in the EH55.

I previously went from a DMR-E80H to the 100H and everything went fine.

Did something change with the EH55?

Thanks in advance.

The DMR-E80H and DMR-E100H are 2003 models. The DMR-EH55 is a 2006 model. Panasonic made a number of changes with each successive model year.

That's not to suggest that this is the cause of the DVD incompatibility problem you describe. And DVDs sometimes become problematic on their own.

For a discussion of somewhat related possibilities I would direct you to posts in a DMR-E100H thread, beginning with this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1207391/panasonic-dmr-e100h-removing-dvd-lid/0_60#post_17765060

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
All your other Panasonics do not have the thumbnail view which was added in '04. I only have '04 and newer Panasonics so I don't know how a partially recorded disc on a machine without thumbnail view will react when put in a machine w/thumbnail view but I'd think if there were such issues I would have read about it before.
As DIgado it may have more to do with the condition of your discs than anything else but unless something is going in the DVD burner of your EH-55 you would think you could at least reformat the RAM discs.....If you have any new RAM discs you might want to give that a shot. If that works you might want to try reformatting your used RAM discs in your PC and then try them again in your EH-55. Others have reported incompatibility issues with RAM discs between various Panasonic models, I know one person was able to reformat his RAM discs in a international Panasonic and after that they worked fine in his EH-55. Since you probably don't have a international, thats why I suggested using a PC with a RAM compatible drive.
How do partially recorded(or RAM) discs work that were recorded on your EH-55 work in your older Panasonics? that would be interesting to know also.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
One of my EH55s becae really finicky about which -RAM disks it would use. I had the same message about the disks being readonly and "locked" in the disk information screen, and they could not be unlocked. I assumed that these disks were bad. This was a precursor to the capacitors in the power supply board needing replacement. Surprisingly, after that, those disks that I was unable to use in that machine, worked just fine.

I suspect that your EH55 is needing some attention. After I lost the laser assembly in both of my machines, I had them repaired by MICKINCT, and they have worked flawlessly since. (I did put a lot of hours on the lasers of each of these so I wasn't shocked when they went out.)

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

So the disks from a DMR-EH55 should work in the EH55?

If there is something wrong with this unit it's quite disappointing as I just got it!

I will try cleaning the laser with a DVD cleaner and maybe that will help...
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

If there is something wrong with this unit it's quite disappointing as I just got it!

I will try cleaning the laser with a DVD cleaner and maybe that will help...

For Panasonic DVD Drives this post has basic diagnostic information as well as descriptions and photos for routine servicing procedures:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Yes, without a doubt(again unless your discs were damaged, which is quite rare).
post #8 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, following the instructions I found, I cleaned the spindle and laser (which was MUCH easier than on the E100H!!) and it now reads disks it wouldn't read yesterday!!

One disk, however, is read but there are a lot of artifacts and it's unwatchable (especially the 1st one).

Could this be a failing disk? The E100H reads them fine.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page