Editing problem with the Magnavox MDR533H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have recorded over 100 programs ( from being away on vacation) & am now going through the shows & watching , deleting or editing programs to save portions.
but, for some reason some of the shows I cannot choose EDIT. there is no rhyme or reason, some I can access the EDIT menu only before I watch it, then if I try to edit it after it is greyed out (also DUBBING is greyed out). other episodes I CAN get the edit choice. & it is the same program that has been recorded the whole time.
I am at a loss, here, cannot figure out what to click on to fix this. makes no sense.
*help*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you consider asking this in the already-existing thread for this recorder and similar moodels?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Did you consider asking this in the already-existing thread for this recorder and similar moodels?

Did you consider that she's perhaps already made several frustrating visits to that bloated sticky, and decided this particular question might attract better answers as a standalone topic? Or that this topic might be of universal interest to those of us who've had QUITE enough of 12,000 "wah, wah, my Magnavox can't tune Clear-QAM worth a damn, but I flatly refuse to accept that reality, wah, wah" posts, and might not follow the primary Magnavox sticky as religiously as you do?

There's been a little too much "Paul Bart, Mall Cop" occurring in this DVD recorder subforum lately: those of you doing it need to knock it off. You mean well, but its counterproductive. DVD recorders are a dead consumer product, so we're lucky anyone posts questions here at all anymore. The only new DVD recorders still left on dealer shelves are the Funai/Toshibas and Funai/Magnavox units: so by default, this entire DVD recorder subforum is now (effectively) "the Funai thread." So there is no longer any pressing need to deflect every damn question into the Magnavox sticky: its relevance and utility as a handy, quickly-navigated sticky collapsed a couple years ago when it became completely inscrutable to newbies.

If I was fresh off the turnip truck, just bought a Mag 533, and encountered this editing issue, trying to find a reference to it (much less answers) in the humongous sticky thread would induce me to just take the thing back to WalMart. A little redundancy between the sticky threads and the general DVD recorder subforum is healthy, and ensures the widest audience and breadth/availability of answers. There have been many instances of wajo incorporating questions and answers into his sticky index that were initially explored in independent threads: that give and take makes for a better forum experience.

Whenever wajo sees a question that has already been covered in the sticky, he replies to that new thread with a post linking to specific advice pages in the sticky. I think that's been a very effective way of making the sticky more relevant to newcomers while keeping the larger subforum in active participation. Many newbie "Magnavox" questions involve generic DVD recorder topics that might be of interest to someone who just bought a Toshiba: it would never occur to them to check the Magnavox thread but they might notice the independent thread topic and benefit from the Magnavox answer and links being exposed there, instead of buried in the sticky.

Ditto occasional digressions into related matters like TiVO or HTPCs or signal converters: a number of AVS members use additional hardware to supplement the capabilities of their Magnavox, and that info is just as relevant (if not more so) than charting where ComCast has relocated virtual QAM channel 43.1 this week. So lets relax our grip on excessive thread monitoring: it doesn't accomplish anything.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 356
If you were a newbee who clicked into the first post of a help thread and were greeted with this in bold red, what would you do? Post in that unfriendly thread or start your own new thread with your question, maybe?
Quote:
NEWBIES: This thread has become unfriendly to your basic needs. Members have moved on to "advanced-tech" better discussed elsewhere, like a new thread or Section 10 threads below. If you're a newbie here to learn basic setup and operation of these recorders, it's simple: (1) click "post #1" at top right and bookmark it, (2) click links to go DIRECTLY to help files... from this post to answers in one click! If you have questions, send me a PM.
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you were a newbee who clicked into the first post of a help thread and were greeted with this in bold red, what would you do? Post in that unfriendly thread or start your own new thread with your question, maybe?
Quote:
NEWBIES: This thread has become unfriendly to your basic needs. Members have moved on to "advanced-tech" better discussed elsewhere, like a new thread or Section 10 threads below. If you're a newbie here to learn basic setup and operation of these recorders, it's simple: (1) click "post #1" at top right and bookmark it, (2) click links to go DIRECTLY to help files... from this post to answers in one click! If you have questions, send me a PM.

I automatically go to the most recent page of a thread. Not the first. That's where active discussions are happening.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Quote:

Did you consider that she's perhaps already made several frustrating visits to that bloated sticky, and decided this particular question might attract better answers as a standalone topic? Or that this topic might be of universal interest to those of us who've had QUITE enough of 12,000 "wah, wah, my Magnavox can't tune Clear-QAM worth a damn, but I flatly refuse to accept that reality, wah, wah" posts, and might not follow the primary Magnavox sticky as religiously as you do?

There's been a little too much "Paul Bart, Mall Cop" occurring in this DVD recorder subforum lately: those of you doing it need to knock it off. You mean well, but its counterproductive. DVD recorders are a dead consumer product, so we're lucky anyone posts questions here at all anymore. The only new DVD recorders still left on dealer shelves are the Funai/Toshibas and Funai/Magnavox units: so by default, this entire DVD recorder subforum is now (effectively) "the Funai thread." So there is no longer any pressing need to deflect every damn question into the Magnavox sticky: its relevance and utility as a handy, quickly-navigated sticky collapsed a couple years ago when it became completely inscrutable to newbies.

If I was fresh off the turnip truck, just bought a Mag 533, and encountered this editing issue, trying to find a reference to it (much less answers) in the humongous sticky thread would induce me to just take the thing back to WalMart. A little redundancy between the sticky threads and the general DVD recorder subforum is healthy, and ensures the widest audience and breadth/availability of answers. There have been many instances of wajo incorporating questions and answers into his sticky index that were initially explored in independent threads: that give and take makes for a better forum experience.

Whenever wajo sees a question that has already been covered in the sticky, he replies to that new thread with a post linking to specific advice pages in the sticky. I think that's been a very effective way of making the sticky more relevant to newcomers while keeping the larger subforum in active participation. Many newbie "Magnavox" questions involve generic DVD recorder topics that might be of interest to someone who just bought a Toshiba: it would never occur to them to check the Magnavox thread but they might notice the independent thread topic and benefit from the Magnavox answer and links being exposed there, instead of buried in the sticky.

Ditto occasional digressions into related matters like TiVO or HTPCs or signal converters: a number of AVS members use additional hardware to supplement the capabilities of their Magnavox, and that info is just as relevant (if not more so) than charting where ComCast has relocated virtual QAM channel 43.1 this week. So lets relax our grip on excessive thread monitoring: it doesn't accomplish anything.

Maybe decaf?
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Maybe decaf?

Yes, you should try it.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
...and no one has actually answered the OPs question. Lots of discussion on if we should or not though. biggrin.gif

muffin, if I knew the answer to your question, I would post it. Sorry.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The blind leading the blind here; is it possible the non-edittable are copy-protected or restricted in some way-- Read Once or some such thing? Is there any type of pattern or similarity in the trouble-makers? Same channel? Same time of day?

Repeat- The blind leading the blind, but I think of a statement a senior computer programmer told me many years ago: "There's always a logical explanation." Logical, that is, once the reason is found.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post

I have recorded over 100 programs ( from being away on vacation) & am now going through the shows & watching , deleting or editing programs to save portions.
but, for some reason some of the shows I cannot choose EDIT. there is no rhyme or reason, some I can access the EDIT menu only before I watch it, then if I try to edit it after it is greyed out (also DUBBING is greyed out). other episodes I CAN get the edit choice. & it is the same program that has been recorded the whole time.
I am at a loss, here, cannot figure out what to click on to fix this. makes no sense.
*help*
Some functions like edit and dubbing automatically become disabled when a timer recording is scheduled begin in the near future. The amount of "free time" required before the next recording is different for some of these functions, but I think all functions should be available if you have more than 1 hour before then next timer recording.

Edit: I should also mention those options are not available during any type of recording.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post

*help*
Some functions like edit and dubbing automatically become disabled when a timer recording is scheduled begin in the near future. The amount of "free time" required before the next recording is different for some of these functions, but I think all functions should be available if you have more than 1 hour before then next timer recording.

There is a 1-hour gap required to next timer rec program, but Edit will become unavailable at the ~2-minute mark before a timer start... the "2-minute warmup" as I call it. If you're in the Edit menu at that time, the menu will revert to the main Edit menu and the "Edit" option on that title will be grayed out so you can't re-enter. The timer will start at the scheduled time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page