Sony RDR-HX715 shows "Welcome" but does nothing else - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony RDR-HX715 DVD/Hard Disc recorder that I have not been able to use in years, and barely got to use it when it was new. The problem started when I was recording from a VCR onto the hard drive. I left it while I was doing other things and when I came back noticed a blank blue screen on the TV. The panel display of the DVD/HD recorder said "Welcome". After about 30 seconds or so, the fan would come on for a second or two and then go off as the display went blank. It would then flash "Recovery" 3 or four times and then go back to 'Welcome" and do it all over again. Unplugging for awhile didn't change anything. Leaving it unplugged overnight didn't help. After leaving it plugged in for several hours, (Hoping it would complete the "Recovery" process, whatever that is), it no longer flashes "Recovery" But just cycles on and off displaying "Welcome" and starting the fan for a second or two.

I sent it to Sony Repair when it was still less than 7 years old, only to have it returned unrepaired because parts are not available. Their assessment was that the controller board was bad, but no further explanation than that.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there anything I can try short of replacing the controller board. Does anyone know of a source of parts? I've looked at ebay but there aren't many and those seem to be working models selling for $400 plus.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P.S. I forgot to add that after it sat for several months (we moved to a new house), I did plug it in once and it seemed to act normal, but by the time I could get an A/V cable hooked up, it went back to cycling Welcome, fan, repeat.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page