Magnavox MDR535H problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have contacted tech support and they basically told my I'm SOL on this unit. I received this unit Wed 3/27. I get most of the digital channels on this Magnavox, but there are duplicate channels (FOX) 14.1 and a religious channel 14.1 and 7.1 ABC from Albuquerque, NM and 7.1 ABC from El Paso Texas. I can get these on the Magnavox, however, when setting up a time for a program on 14.1 It records the religious channel not the FOX channel. I go into the manual channel delete and it will bring up both 14.1 channels. When I go channel down the Fox 14.1 disappears and the only one available is the 14.1 religious channel. If I delete the 14.1 from the channel I don't get it period! Is there a solution for this problem? I've called magnavox/Funai 7 times and get no help. This is OTA with a HDTV WA-2608 roof top antenna. The Green, blue and red ports on the magnavox won't work. I have the HDMI connectedm as well as the yellow, red and white (won't record without it) I have a top of the line Vizio 42" smart TV. Tech support keeps telling me I have to have the TV on the channel I want to record, which is crazy with a timer if I'm not home...

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you know what real channel each station is transmitting on? (For example, someone's "channel 7" could actually be broadcasting on channel 32.)

It's doubtful both channel 14s are broadcasting on the same REAL channel.

You could delete both channel 14s, for example, and then key in the REAL channel. The recorder should then lock in on the virtual 14.1 channel number, and you'd get that channel, ID'd as 14.1.

It's been a while since I've played with the tuner on mine, but I think you'd then need to mark it as not deleted if that doesn't happen automatically.

Should I assume you could go without the religious channel, so long as you can record from the FOX affiliate? If so, then leave the religious channel deleted.

As for the blue, green and red "ports" as you put it, do you know what they're for? They're for sending the picture to your TV, but the TV has to have input jacks that match, and be set to work with that as your input source.

These "ports" have nothing to do with recording or tuning, however.

Your recorder will indeed record without ANY of the outputs connected. You just wouldn't be able to VIEW what it's doing.

The TV also does not need to be on the channel being recorded, since the recorder has its own tuner and records from that, not from the TV. Ignore Vizio Tech Support on this one.

The "yellow red and white"? Red and white are audio. Yellow is for video, low resolution, Standard Def output

The HDMI can simulate HD.

Neither the YRW nor the HDMI however, have anything to do with recording or tuning.

As for figuring out what channels your local stations are broadcasting on, try here-
http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Put in the zip code of the cities broadcasting the channels, and carefully note from the first column that comes up what the REAL channel being broadcast is. (NOT the "virtual channel", which is the channel number the station CLAIMS to be.)
post #3 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post

. . . This is OTA with a HDTV WA-2608 roof top antenna . . . . I have a top of the line Vizio 42" smart TV.
Are you having these same tuner problems with the OTA tuner on your Vizio HDTV?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I have contacted tech support and they basically told my I'm SOL on this unit. I received this unit Wed 3/27. I get most of the digital channels on this Magnavox, but there are duplicate channels (FOX) 14.1 and a religious channel 14.1 and 7.1 ABC from Albuquerque, NM and 7.1 ABC from El Paso Texas. I can get these on the Magnavox, however, when setting up a time for a program on 14.1 It records the religious channel not the FOX channel. I go into the manual channel delete and it will bring up both 14.1 channels. When I go channel down the Fox 14.1 disappears and the only one available is the 14.1 religious channel. If I delete the 14.1 from the channel I don't get it period! Is there a solution for this problem? I've called magnavox/Funai 7 times and get no help. This is OTA with a HDTV WA-2608 roof top antenna. The Green, blue and red ports on the magnavox won't work. I have the HDMI connectedm as well as the yellow, red and white (won't record without it) I have a top of the line Vizio 42" smart TV. Tech support keeps telling me I have to have the TV on the channel I want to record, which is crazy with a timer if I'm not home...

I found on rabbitears.info that ABC is transmitted on DTV 7 and DTV 41, so you may be able to eliminate ABC interference by deleting one or the other channel... *usually* the higher-numbered channel works best so try first Deleting DTV 7 with the Manual Channel Preset menu.

It also appears that KFOX's Display channel is 14 but its Physical channel is 15. If DTV 15 is not in your channel memory, you might try Adding in manually with the Manual Channel Preset menu and, while in that menu, Delete DTV 14?

More options are possible with channels received from two markets (DMAs), i.e., you're the only one who can "experiment" with channels to find the exact ones interfering, and then Adding or Deleting to test the effects.

post #5 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

No my vizio is perfect. Channel 7.1 digital is also channel 40 analog, but as I understand it, analog will be gone. There is no analog or other channel for fox 14.1 as it's from El Paso, TX. In the magnvox if I have the religious show ON,(seeing it on the screen) and use the delete channel it will delete but deletes the fox 14.1 as well.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

The problem is the same channel from two different areas.......... 7.1 KVIA channel 7 from El Paso, TX and 7.1 KOAT channel 7 from Albuquerque, NM 14.1 Fox from El Paso, TX and 14.1 religious channel ????? don't know where it's from. I know the call letters from the vizio as the magnavox doesn't tell me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Do you know what real channel each station is transmitting on? (For example, someone's "channel 7" could actually be broadcasting on channel 32.)

It's doubtful both channel 14s are broadcasting on the same REAL channel.

You could delete both channel 14s, for example, and then key in the REAL channel. The recorder should then lock in on the virtual 14.1 channel number, and you'd get that channel, ID'd as 14.1.

It's been a while since I've played with the tuner on mine, but I think you'd then need to mark it as not deleted if that doesn't happen automatically.

Should I assume you could go without the religious channel, so long as you can record from the FOX affiliate? If so, then leave the religious channel deleted.

As for the blue, green and red "ports" as you put it, do you know what they're for? They're for sending the picture to your TV, but the TV has to have input jacks that match, and be set to work with that as your input source.

These "ports" have nothing to do with recording or tuning, however.

Your recorder will indeed record without ANY of the outputs connected. You just wouldn't be able to VIEW what it's doing.

The TV also does not need to be on the channel being recorded, since the recorder has its own tuner and records from that, not from the TV. Ignore Vizio Tech Support on this one.

The "yellow red and white"? Red and white are audio. Yellow is for video, low resolution, Standard Def output

The HDMI can simulate HD.

Neither the YRW nor the HDMI however, have anything to do with recording or tuning.

As for figuring out what channels your local stations are broadcasting on, try here-
http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Put in the zip code of the cities broadcasting the channels, and carefully note from the first column that comes up what the REAL channel being broadcast is. (NOT the "virtual channel", which is the channel number the station CLAIMS to be.)
post #7 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Is DTV 7 a Magnavox thing? It changes to 7.1 . the 14.1 religious magnavox channel has "no info" when selecting display. for the other 14.1 it shows KFOX-HD I don't have "duplicate" channels as they are different states that are bringing in the channel...sometimes different shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I found on rabbitears.info that ABC is transmitted on DTV 7 and DTV 41, so you may be able to eliminate ABC interference by deleting one or the other channel... *usually* the higher-numbered channel works best so try first Deleting DTV 7 with the Manual Channel Preset menu.

It also appears that KFOX's Display channel is 14 but its Physical channel is 15. If DTV 15 is not in your channel memory, you might try Adding in manually with the Manual Channel Preset menu and, while in that menu, Delete DTV 14?

More options are also very possible with channels received from two markets (DMAs).
post #8 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Is DTV 7 a Magnavox thing? It changes to 7.1 . the 14.1 religious magnavox channel has "no info" when selecting display. for the other 14.1 it shows KFOX-HD I don't have "duplicate" channels as they are different states that are bringing in the channel...sometimes different shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

More options are also very possible with channels received from two markets (DMAs).

If you decide to do any of the things I suggested, you'll notice that the Mag/s Manual Channel Preset menu only takes whole numbers, no subchannels. That's one of the reasons the Mag's "hybrid" (switched DTV/TV) tuner doesn't handle channel/subchannel "anomolies" as well as a typical HDTV does with its integrated tuner (all channels, analog and digital, in sequence, with ability to address individual subchannels in their tuner menus).

post #9 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I do not like this HDTV digital crap. Thank you government! dish, cable, direct tv keep raising their prices.....got rid of them.... no thank you either. Time to keep busy working on productive things instead of watching the boob tube LOL
post #10 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is the same channel from two different areas.......... 7.1 KVIA channel 7 from El Paso, TX and 7.1 KOAT channel 7 from Albuquerque, NM 14.1 Fox from El Paso, TX and 14.1 religious channel ????? don't know where it's from. I know the call letters from the vizio as the magnavox doesn't tell me..

Quote:

It's doubtful both channel 14s are broadcasting on the same REAL channel...

Ladyh-

You've already told us the problem is duplicate channel numbers.

As I already said, it's doubtful both channel 14s are broadcasting on the same real channel. The "14" is usually just a mask they're wearing.

Same thing with the two channel 7s.

My suggestion remains the same.

Delete both channel 14s and then punch in the actual channel number (obatained from the website I linked you to) of the one from El Paso, the Fox station. Once you have that locked in, you shouldn't have to worry about the other channel 14 any more, unless you do another general channel scan.

Delete both channel 7s and decide which one you want. (I'm hoping they're affiliates of the same network, so you can get rid of one and not lose access to the network it carries.) Once you've deleted both channel 7s, use the info from the Silicon Dust website to get the real channel number of the one you want to keep. Punch that channel number in, make sure it's locked as saved, and you'll be all done.

It's not that hard.

Just follow the directions I've given you.

EDIT:
I've checked. Both channel 7s are ABC affiliates. You'll have access to ABC programming with either.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No my vizio is perfect. Channel 7.1 digital is also channel 40 analog, but as I understand it, analog will be gone. There is no analog or other channel for fox 14.1 as it's from El Paso, TX. In the magnvox if I have the religious show ON,(seeing it on the screen) and use the delete channel it will delete but deletes the fox 14.1 as well.

Ladyh-

Please try to avoid answering posts without including the quote from the person you're replying to. It gets too confusing without knowing who you're talking to.

Quote:

I do not like this HDTV digital crap. Thank you government!...

I'm not sure why you're saying that. If those stations were still on analog with no "masking" channel numbers, you likely wouldn't be able to get either 14 or 7, since the two versions of each would be messing with each other's signals. They'd be broadcasting on the same channels.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yes a agree channel 7 is ABC but each channel 7 sometimes when I program a show, the show won't be on the other channel 7 ABC. What is the Mag supposed to chose? Just like when I scheduled ch 14.1 w/ a program, it recorded that religious channel. I don't understand when I'm actually on the 14.1 religious and in the Mag delete it and go back, the other is gone. That religious channel is 14.1 and no info or channel in the Mag. On the vizio that religious channel is RF14-1 > the mag does not show that RF14.1.
some of those channeles on the posted website I don't p/u..

1.) I just deleted 14.1 in the( general settings, channel, manual channel preset, (was on 14.1) showed FOX 14.1 add/delete, did channel down, gave me channel 10 went back channel up to get the 14.1 fox again.... reverted to 14.1 religious. Then on 14.1 religious channel showing, deleted. added manually, typed in 14 channel down (ok doesn't work) on channel 10, did channel up back to 14.1 NO FOX that religious channel again.

I believe that is the right procedure you said?
Quote:

Ladyh-

You've already told us the problem is duplicate channel numbers.

As I already said, it's doubtful both channel 14s are broadcasting on the same real channel. The "14" is usually just a mask they're wearing.

Same thing with the two channel 7s.

My suggestion remains the same.

Delete both channel 14s and then punch in the actual channel number (obatained from the website I linked you to) of the one from El Paso, the Fox station. Once you have that locked in, you shouldn't have to worry about the other channel 14 any more, unless you do another general channel scan.

Delete both channel 7s and decide which one you want. (I'm hoping they're affiliates of the same network, so you can get rid of one and not lose access to the network it carries.) Once you've deleted both channel 7s, use the info from the Silicon Dust website to get the real channel number of the one you want to keep. Punch that channel number in, make sure it's locked as saved, and you'll be all done.

It's not that hard.

Just follow the directions I've given you.

EDIT:
I've checked. Both channel 7s are ABC affiliates. You'll have access to ABC programming with either.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

going through the channels, after deleting 14.1 and re adding, did channel up and down.... only 14.1 relgious shows not FOX had to re scan to get 14.1 fox.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

going through the channels, after deleting 14.1 and re adding, did channel up and down.... only 14.1 relgious shows not FOX had to re scan to get 14.1 fox.

As mentioned above, YOU HAVE TO DELETE BOTH CHANNELS FIRST, and then add back in the "real" channel number of the one you want to keep available for timer recordings.

You obviously didn't delete the religious channel. It can't just appear on its own.

Go back, tune to the religious channel 14.1, then go to the channel settings in the menu and delete the channel. That should leave FOX there.

If Fox is gone too, then add it back in by going to the menu settings and typing in its real channel number (did Wajo say it was 15?) and making sure you've got it set as "added" before you leave the menu settings.

As for the two channel 7s, you can only have one of them available for timer recordings. If we were still doing analog, your recorder wouldn't be able to tune the two of them separately anyway.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I typed in 15 (correct) and it says DTV 14 (CH 15) When I schedule programming do I use 15 and not the 14.1?

Thanks
Quote:

As mentioned above, YOU HAVE TO DELETE BOTH CHANNELS FIRST, and then add back in the "real" channel number of the one you want to keep available for timer recordings.

You obviously didn't delete the religious channel. It can't just appear on its own.

Go back, tune to the religious channel 14.1, then go to the channel settings in the menu and delete the channel. That should leave FOX there.

If Fox is gone too, then add it back in by going to the menu settings and typing in its real channel number (did Wajo say it was 15?) and making sure you've got it set as "added" before you leave the menu settings.

As for the two channel 7s, you can only have one of them available for timer recordings. If we were still doing analog, your recorder wouldn't be able to tune the two of them separately anyway.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

When I scroll I don't see DTV 14 (ch 15) just 14... nor when I go back to add/ delete no CH 15 just 14 Fox. is that right... When I do ok nothing happens I have to channel and it is gone. Is okay suppose to enter it?
post #17 of 18 Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I scroll I don't see DTV 14 (ch 15) just 14... nor when I go back to add/ delete no CH 15 just 14 Fox. is that right... When I do ok nothing happens I have to channel and it is gone. Is okay suppose to enter it?

I don't want to be unkind, but you may not be paying attention.

I also suspect we're dealing with a language barrier here.

You won't see one of the channel 14s identified as channel 15.

That's simply the real channel number, and it won't last.

Once you punch it in, as 15, it will instantly change over to 14 when the recorder reads the TV station's virtual ID, namely "channel 14".

Here's my suggestion....again.

Go into the add/delete portion of the menu.

Delete channel 14.1, and then exit the menu screens.

Go back to regular TV viewing.

Go up and down in the channels. Look for channel 14. If either of the two channel 14s is still there, go back into the add/delete menu and delete that one as well.

Go back to regular channel viewing. Again look for channel 14. Both should be gone now.

Return to the add/delete menu.

Using the remote, punch in the numbers "1" and "5", for "15". As soon as you've done that, it should suddenly change to "14". Add that channel.

Leave the add/delete menu. Return to regular TV viewing.

Go up and down with the channels.

Fox 14 should be there, the other 14 should still be gone.

Do the same thing with the two channel 7s.

Once you are done, you will set timer programs by channels 14.1 and 7.1. Those are the virtual channel numbers.

As I said above, the real channel numbers ("15" for the Fox channel) will not appear anywhere.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

I got what you said. I am a computer tech and can tell you the ins and outs of computers, verbiage etc.... this TV stuff is BS for simple mindless TV viewing LOL Thank you for your help

PS...it seems that no one addresses that the magnavox "might" be defective... the Green,blue,red ports do not work. they worked on my dish receiver... doesn't matter...appreciate your help.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page