Sony RDRvxd655 Problems with dvd record - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a unit which had been working fine ( record and playback although it preferred DVD-R format.) Now each time I attempt to record anything (DVD) after the counter reaches 20 seconds it will stop, you can then hear the drive "whooshing sound" and about 10 seconds later it will start to "record" again.. then like clock work around 38 second on the counter it will stop again. I will then just stop the "recording" and it takes about 5 mins before the disc will actually eject as "Cant play nor record"

I have tried shutting off the unit , pulling the plug , and blowing air into the disc tray area.. Otherwise it works fine when playing dvds which have already been finalized by this unit as well as another Sony Vx555, which is still working ok or commercial ones .... Any suggestions on this or is it just dead? I was thinking about buying a disc cleaning kit.... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Possibilities:

1) The laser diode or possibly some other part is failing.
If number 1) is the cause you’re out of luck.

2)) The laser diode is dirty causing the recorder to misbehave.
If number 2) is the cause try a cleaning disc, now is a good time while the recorder still recognizes playback of discs.

3)) The spindle is dirty causing the disc to slip.
If number 3) is the cause you may try a procedure written by member jjeff and used by many members on Panasonic recorders. There was a member that tried this procedure on a Pioneer with 100 percent success. The member used isopropyl alcohol instead of saliva.
Quote:
Eject the disc tray. Unplug the machine from the wall. Gently slide the disc tray until you can see the spindle inside the drive(not sure if this is possible on a Pio, but I'm just mentioning it). Then using a long handled q-tip, I like the wooden handled ones like used in the medical industry or VCR service of yesteryear. Wet the q-tip with some type of isopropal or tape head cleaner. Using a flashlight to help see, gently clean the spindle the best you can. The spindle part that gets dirty on the Pannys is the lower part that holds the center part of the DVD. I gently spin the q-tip between my fingers while resting it against the rubber spindle. After you're done wait a minute for the spindle to try, plug the machine back in and give it a try. It works for the Pannys, maybe it would work for the Pios?

======================================

I decided to take the 'saliva' idea mentioned above in this thread, and instead use isopropyl alcohol. I coated the inner circle, transparent section (the part that gets 'concentric rings') with a light sheen of isopropyl. I then put it in the tray, activated the 640, let the disc spin around there for a bit, and removed it. Then I left the drive tray open for an hour to dry.

And just now, I've finished burning/finalizing several DVDs, including one new Sony 16x DVD. Absolutely no grinding whatsoever. It burns as quietly as it did several months ago!

Thanks everyone for the help. I will not miss that 'grinding purr.'

Some folks will tell you to use T-Y 1x to 8x discs claiming they are easier on the laser/require less laser power. Might be worth a try, I don’t believe the T-Y use less laser power but I believe because they are sticky – they tend not to slip after other brands start to slip. BUT I would try using Verbatim AZO DVD-R 1x to 16x discs. Many including myself claim that these discs work best for real-time 1x burns and are very easy on lasers.

Lastly, try cleaning around the fan, making sure there is no debree blocking air-flow and make sure your unit is not stacked, blocking airflow and make sure you don’t have any components stocked on top of the recorder – this can cause moving parts to go out of alignment and also can cause heat related problems.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I tried cleaning the spindle area with a q-tip lightly dampened with some old radio shack tape head cleaner. Now the unit doesnt read any disc which I have put in. whereas before it would read anything which had been previously finalized on this machine or commercial discs.. Any suggestions how I can at least get it back to reading discs???
post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garloo57 View Post

Well I tried cleaning the spindle area with a q-tip lightly dampened with some old radio shack tape head cleaner. Now the unit doesnt read any disc which I have put in. whereas before it would read anything which had been previously finalized on this machine or commercial discs.. Any suggestions how I can at least get it back to reading discs???

The laser assembly is loosely suspended and quite fragile. With Panasonic and Funai recorders I always advise being gentle, rolling the dampened Q-Tip over the laser lens one time only:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/12240_60#post_19647592

I have no experience with Sony recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page