Magnavox driving me crazy. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Magnavox 533 since my E85 crashed. Tried most common failures to no avail.
The Magnavox does offer better picture quality with the built in tuner, but that seems to be the end of it. The remote is laid out poorly for editing purposes. But the problem I am having is the editing of commercials. On the playback, when the program reaches the point of fade out, plus a few frames, I hit pause, then scene delete to "START" , to mark the beginning of the edit. At the end of the commercial I try to allow a couple of frames into the start of the program and then hit "END". I check it with the preview option and it's good. Just like a scene change. All is well. When it's all done and ready to dub, I dub to a disc. So far so good. I then do an index picture or a title if not already done. The next, I learned after I finalized a couple. Now, before I finalize the disc, I play it back and WOW. Where did that come from? I have been finding at some of the edits just before the start of the new section following an edit, a brief 1 second or flash of the end of the commercial I just removed. I can go back to the HD and play back that area, and there is nothing there, even at a frame by frame scan. Nothing. But on the disc, there it be. It's like the laser is jumping back a couple frames to recorded material instead of the blank area on the dub, but not on the HD. If you can understand what I'm trying to say. In short, a couple frames of deleted material is showing on a disc and not the HD. How is that happening?
I recorded a clock with a second hand and plan on trying an edit using the second hand as a reference. So far the second hand is right at the edits where it's supposed to be. The next step is to dub that area to a disc to see if the second hand remains where it's supposed to be, or jumps back prior to the end mark. The second hand seemed to start and stop where it was supposed to, but a second can be a long time when a section of deleted material flashes on the screen for a half second. Much like seeing a Bewitched scene in the middle of a scene change of a Bonanza episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

See Note 2 here on Edit-Point Accuracy... high-speed dub (HSD) moves edit points to "key frames"... a DVD/MPEG requirement as explained there.

CLick the 1st link in my sig. for a list of other help files.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 3 Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by robboot View Post

I have a Magnavox 533 since my E85 crashed... the problem I am having is the editing of commercials... I play it back and WOW. Where did that come from? I have been finding at some of the edits just before the start of the new section following an edit, a brief 1 second or flash of the end of the commercial I just removed. I can go back to the HD and play back that area, and there is nothing there, even at a frame by frame scan. Nothing. But on the disc, there it be... In short, a couple frames of deleted material is showing on a disc and not the HD. How is that happening?

I have a bunch of Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorders so I understand the Magnavox frame edit results you describe.

My Panasonic models (two DMR-EH50 and one DMR-EH75) are superb editors that give me frame-precise edits that carry over to DVD with high-speed dubbing.

The Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorders I have (one upgraded 2080, two or three 2160 models, two or three 2160A models and two 515 models) and my Philips HDD/DVD Recorders (one 3575 and one 3576 model), while mostly great recorders, are not so precise with edited material when high-speed dubbing to DVD.

Perhaps the "frame jump" to index frames are more widely spaced out with Funai manufactured HDD/DVD Recorders than with Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorders. I use the Panasonic DMR-EH50 models when "professional" results are desired.

I've learned to live with the differences between Panasonic and Funai Recorders. I'm an enthusiastic supporter of these brands.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page