VHS to DVD to computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have transfered VHS tapes to DVD's useing a Toshiba DVR670KU recorder. The DVD will play on the TV but will not play on the computer. The computer will not even see that a DVD has been inserted into the dvd drive.
I have the settings on the dvd recorder set to Finalizing and Compatible and I thought that would make
it work on the computer , but it did not.
The computer will play movie DVD's and movies that I downloaded from my camera and camcorder to the computer and put them on a dvd useing Roxie. Can you help me.
Thank you for your help.

Don Heeter
Richmond, IN
hghhdd@frontier.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
When you say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhhgh View Post

DVD will play on the TV . . .
Do you mean it will play in the Toshiba recorder you used to make it, or do you mean it will play in a separate DVD player.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48

I 'm guessing this Toshiba can automatically finalize a disc after a recording has finished? Just to be sure, put one of those discs back in the recorder and go to the menu where you would finalize a disc, and see if you can start the finalization process. 

Have you tried those discs in another DVD player ( other than the PC) as Kelson wondered?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Kelson - Thank you for your reply.

The DVD that was made from the VHS tape will play on the TV in the Toshiba DVR670KU recorder that it was made in.
And of course the VHS tape will play on the TV .

The DVD will not play in the computer, the computer will not see that a dvd disc is in the computer.

I do not have a seperate DVD player to play it in, only the computer's dvd drive.

Thank you for your help.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Westly-C - Thank you for your reply.

You are correct that it will "automatically finalize a disc after a recording" .

I just went in and tried what you said to do about finalize again and
brought it out to the computer and

IT WORKED PERFECT.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I thought that auto would do it.

My wife and I have been married for 49 years and we have a LOT of VHS tapes that we took of our granddaughter growing up and my wife has been on me a long time to transfer them to dvd's and then make copies for the rest of the family. Now our son will have all of the dvd's of his daughter.

My next project is taking our old 8 mm on a projector and filming them with a camcorder and downloading them to the computer and putting them on a dvd, I have film of when I was in the Army (1960-1963) and our wedding movies from 1963.

Thank you very much for all of your help.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Westly-C - I have another question on a different topic.

Is there any way to not have the Title LIst show on the disc after it has been finalize.

I have went through the instruction book a lot of times and I can find everything on
Titles but that.

I guess you only need to Finalize if you are going to play it on another DVD player or the
computer, if you don't finalize it then you never see the title list.

Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never owned a Toshiba recorder, so I'm not familiar with their specific workings, but the Panasonic recorders do have an option not create a top menu when you finalize a disc. If your Toshiba can, it should be somewhere inside that menu area where you finalize.

Skimming thru an online manual for it (before posting), I don't see an indication that you can leave out the menu.

And yes, if the -R or -RW disc is to be played on any other dvd player or pc/laptop drive, it will need to be finalized. Using the DVD+RW discs, you can record on those, remove from the recorder, and play elsewhere without needing to finalize.

If you really don't want a top menu, you could jump thru a few extra hoops, by dubbing to +RW discs, take that to the pc, then using a dvd authoring software program, create a dvd with no menu...though having a menu is handy if you plan on having multiple shows-or home movie segments, placed on a single disc. Easier to jump directly to something rather than pressing the dvd player remote's >>I Button to skip ahead to the next recorded segment, or fast forwarding.

They're not com-tastic!
post #8 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Westly-C - Thank you for your reply

I found out that the title menue does not show up when you play it on the computer.
It only shows up on the tv if it played on the dvd hook up to the tv.

I have always used dvd r+ and not the dvdv r-.
Should I be useing the dvd r- ??
I allways thought there was not any difference??

Thank you for looking in the online manual for me, I don't think there is an option to not have it.

This problem never came up before because my wife tapes all of her sewing and knitting show
and the title menue never showed up because we never finalized them because she only views
them on the TV.

Not until we wanted to transfer the VHS to DVD and then wanted to make copies for other family members
on the computer.

Thank you for all of your help.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I've never owned a Toshiba recorder, so I'm not familiar with their specific workings, but the Panasonic recorders do have an option not create a top menu when you finalize a disc. If your Toshiba can, it should be somewhere inside that menu area where you finalize.
Skimming thru an online manual for it (before posting), I don't see an indication that you can leave out the menu.

And yes, if the -R or -RW disc is to be played on any other dvd player or pc/laptop drive, it will need to be finalized. Using the DVD+RW discs, you can record on those, remove from the recorder, and play elsewhere without needing to finalize.
If you really don't want a top menu, you could jump thru a few extra hoops, by dubbing to +RW discs, take that to the pc, then using a dvd authoring software program, create a dvd with no menu...though having a menu is handy if you plan on having multiple shows-or home movie segments, placed on a single disc. Easier to jump directly to something rather than pressing the dvd player remote's >>I Button to skip ahead to the next recorded segment, or fast forwarding.

Toshiba transitioned from manufacturing their own line of proprietary recorders to Funai manufacture in the 2005/2006 period. For the most part a Toshiba DVR670KU is a generic Funai model. Most recent Toshiba and other Funai manufactured recorders have the Make Recordings Compatible (MRC) feature that, when set to "ON" will allow unfinalized DVDs to be swapped between other Funai manufactured recorders that have their Make Recordings Compatible feature set to "ON." The DVD title display will assume the format and appearance of whatever Funai manufactured recorder finalizes the DVD. (Some Funai manufactured recorders lack MRC and other features.) Funai manufactured brands include Magnavox, Philips, Sylvania, Emerson, PYE, TruTech, among others.

With my Panasonic recorders I most often use the "Top Menu" option when finalizing DVDs. Occasionally I'll use the "First Title" option when I need a DVD that automatically begins play with the first title. I usually label those DVDs as "autorun."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

DigaDo - Thank you for your reply.

I found the answer to the Title question.

If you record a program from the TV then it will have a Title List made for the DVD automatically.
If the DVD movie you record from any other source other then the TV then it will not have a Title List.

What I don't understand is about DVD+R and DVD-R, in one part of the book it says to use
only DVD-R and other parts of the book it says it fine to use both.

I have always used DVD+R and they seem to work well, so I don't know if DVD-R would be better
or just the same?

So in summary

if I download a movie from my camera or camcorder to the computer and put it
on a DVD I MUST take it to the Toshiba recorder and finalize it for it to play on the TV.

If I transfer a VHS tape to a DVD and want it to play on a computer I must finalize it
for it to be played on a computer.

If I copy a movie from the TV to a DVD then it must be finalized to be played on a computer.

post #11 of 24 Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
on a DVD I MUST take it to the Toshiba recorder and finalize it for it to play on the TV.

Umm, no. Transferring camcorder video from the camera to your computer, does not require any involvement of your Toshiba. A dvd authoring software program on your computer would be required to make a dvd from your camcorder footage, then burned to a disc in the pc burner drive.

Your Toshiba can record to -R, -RWs, +R and +RW Discs. All that matters is that it's a good brand. Verbatim AZO are highly regarded brand (avoid Verbatim Datalife-they're considered junk) that can be found locally, usually at Office Max, Office Depot, or Best Buy.

They're not com-tastic!
post #12 of 24 Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Westly-C - Thank you for your reply

I must use Roxio to put the downloaded movies on to a disc then I thought I must finalize it for it to play on the TV.
I am an old man so my memory is not tha good.

I use Verbatium all the time because Office Max has them on sale for about $25, I don't think I have trouble with them.
What kind on trouble would I see??

Thank you for your help.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Your Toshiba can record to -R, -RWs, +R and +RW Discs. All that matters is that it's a good brand. Verbatim AZO are highly regarded brand (avoid Verbatim Datalife -they're considered junk) that can be found locally, usually at Office Max, Office Depot, or Best Buy.
Actually "Datalife" is Verbatims top of the line discs(and not really available B&M) I think you are thinking about Verbatim Life series which are found B&M and are not really Verbatim made but CMC which makes discs for most companies including the dreaded Memowrex eek.gif IMO it's really stupid that Verbatim made their top of the line and bottom of the line discs both have Life in their name rolleyes.gif
ddhhgh, Funai made recorders(like your Toshiba) are slightly more native to + than - discs but really will burn either equally well. Older DVDRs, and Toshiba made Toshibas tend to prefer the - format over +. I only use - discs in my Panasonics mainly because the way Panasonic records to + discs they have limited search speeds.
AFA cheap DVDs, as long as they burn and play your OK but the worry with cheaper discs like CMC is how long they'll play and on that note most archivers want their discs to play as long as possible so they spend a little more and get AZO/Datalife Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden(only available online).
ClearToLand likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:

Your Toshiba can record to -R, -RWs, +R and +RW Discs. All that matters is that it's a good brand. Verbatim AZO are highly regarded brand (avoid Verbatim Datalife -they're considered junk) that can be found locally, usually at Office Max, Office Depot, or Best Buy.
Actually "Datalife" is Verbatims top of the line discs(and not really available B&M) I think you are thinking about Verbatim Life series which are found B&M and are not really Verbatim made but CMC which makes discs for most companies including the dreaded Memowrex eek.gif IMO it's really stupid that Verbatim made their top of the line and bottom of the line discs both have Life in their name rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the correction, it is a bit confusing keeping those straight.

They're not com-tastic!
post #15 of 24 Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Quote:

ddhhgh, Funai made recorders(like your Toshiba) are slightly more native to + than - discs but really will burn either equally well. Older DVDRs, and Toshiba made Toshibas tend to prefer the - format over +. I only use - discs in my Panasonics mainly because the way Panasonic records to + discs they have limited search speeds.
AFA cheap DVDs, as long as they burn and play your OK but the worry with cheaper discs like CMC is how long they'll play and on that note most archivers want their discs to play as long as possible so they spend a little more and get AZO/Datalife Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden(only available online).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually "Datalife" is Verbatims top of the line discs(and not really available B
Thanks for the correction, it is a bit confusing keeping those straight.

Check out this post for clear examples of each.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #16 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Church AV Guy - Thank you for your reply.
I am looking at the Verbatim disc's that I have and you are correct, they say "Life Series" and I was wondering
how you can tell if it is the top or the bottom of the line?
The Toshiba DVD Video Recorder/Video Cassette Recorder DVR670KU I have was bought 6-11-2011.
So do you think that if I have a choice when buying disc's that I should buy the -R?

You brought the name CMC disc's and not to use them, I am not sure if I have ever seen then at Office Max,
but I am an old man and my memory could be in error.
I allways buy the disc's at Office max because they have them on sale for half the price.

post #17 of 24 Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I also use to purchase my discs at Office Max and Depot but stopped when they switched to the CMC made Verbatim Life discs from the Genuine Verbatim AZO discs. If your OK ordering from the internet I'd suggest Amazon. Regularly they sell the AZO Verbatim discs for $25 with free shipping and no tax, this is probably the same if not cheaper than what OM or OD sells the Life series Verbatims for,
Again for your recorder + discs should be just fine, as - discs would be and truthfully the Life series are probably OK too it's just the longevity that may not be as good with the Life series.
post #18 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ddhhgh, You really should finalize ALL the discs you make on your Toshiba. Otherwise, when your Toshiba eventually dies, you won't be able to play your discs on other machines., because they have not been finalized.

CMC is a manufacturer of cheap, unreliable blank DVDs, not a brand. Verbatim uses them to make their "Life" series discs.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhhgh View Post

Church AV Guy - Thank you for your reply.
I am looking at the Verbatim disc's that I have and ... they say "Life Series" and I was wondering
how you can tell if it is the top or the bottom of the line?
The Toshiba DVD Video Recorder/Video Cassette Recorder DVR670KU I have was bought 6-11-2011.
So do you think that if I have a choice when buying disc's that I should buy the -R?

You brought the name CMC disc's and not to use them, I am not sure if I have ever seen then at Office Max,
but I am an old man and my memory could be in error.
I allways buy the disc's at Office max because they have them on sale for half the price.

Just about all the DVD brands you find at Office Max, Staples and Office Depot are manufactured by China Magnetics Company (CMC). You will not find the "CMC" on the product packaging because "CMC" is not a brand name. CMC manufactured DVDs are sold under many brand names including Verbatim's "Life Series." Here are the outside wrapper color schemes for the Verbatim "Life Series" JUNK made by CMC.

There are several others DVD brands manufactured by CMC, including Magnavox.

CMC manufactured DVDs are also sold under brand names such as Philips, Memorex, and TDK.

Other brands manufactured by CMC include Hewlett Packard (HP) and Imation.

About the only retail store DVD brands that are not made by CMC are Verbatim's "AZO" series, Sony and sometimes Maxell. Maxell contracts out DVD manufacture to a variety of companies including Ritek and, you guessed it, CMC. So, it's hard to say for sure that Maxell DVDs will be of good quality or JUNK.

There are a few less common brand names manufactured by Moser Baer in India. DataRight is one such brand. The quality of such DVDs are inconsistent.

This photo shows two Verbatim retail store varieties, the "Life Series" JUNK on the left and the premium "AZO" series on the right. Notice that the cartridge points to the "AZO" logo. The photo shows the DVD-R versions.

The DVD+R versions will have outside wrappers with the same design but use different color schemes as seen in this Fry's ad where the DVD-R version is seen toward the rear and the DVD+R version is seen toward the front.

These Verbatim "AZO" series DVDs are probably the best quality one is likely to find in retail stores. Verbatim "AZO" series DVDs might be hard to find in retail stores because uninformed buyers always look for the cheapest price. That's made Verbatim AZO series DVDs tough to sell because they are seldom discounted.

Once Verbatim retail store DVDs have been removed from their packaging they look the same so the only way to tell them apart is to read the MIT code with a computer program. The "Life Series" will have the dreaded "CMC" code.

The Verbatim "AZO" series will have the "MCC" code (Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation).

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #20 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are my DVDs of choice. For all my Panasonic, Magnavox, Philips and Toshiba stand alone recorders there is nothing better than JVC/Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media seen at the upper left. For quality duplication or computer work I use JVC/Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R media seen at the lower left and Verbatim 16x "AZO" series DVD-R media seen at the right.

JVC/Taiyo Yuden DVDs are not generally sold in retail stores. These are products designed for professional use but are also hugely popular with AVS Forum members.

This photo shows the original Taiyo Yuden cake box wrapper and stack top insert at the left and the more recent JVC/Taiyo Yuden cake box wrapper and stack top insert at the right. Perhaps more historically interesting is the certificate given to a family friend upon his participation at the first local demonstration of the Philo Farnsworth television system. At the time World War 2 had just begun.

post #21 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Once Verbatim retail store DVDs have been removed from their packaging they look the same so the only way to tell them apart is to read the MIT code with a computer program. The "Life Series" will have the dreaded "CMC" code.

Up until my most recent purchase I would agree with you, that is once removed from the spindle the life discs looked exactly like the AZO discs, this is why I got into the habit of marking each life disc with a very small "L" so I could easily tell it was life and not AZO.
This was until my most recent purchase from Microcenter. It was a 100 spindle of Life Series Verbatim discs that actually had the word Life Series(in cursive below the DVD -R wording). Otherwise the discs look identical to the AZO discs, they are MID CMC Mag AM3. Ignore the date stamp, looks like the camera needs to be set.

post #22 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Up until my most recent purchase I would agree with you, that is once removed from the spindle the life discs looked exactly like the AZO discs, this is why I got into the habit of marking each life disc with a very small "L" so I could easily tell it was life and not AZO.
This was until my most recent purchase from Microcenter. It was a 100 spindle of Life Series Verbatim discs that actually had the word Life Series(in cursive below the DVD -R wording). Otherwise the discs look identical to the AZO discs, they are MID CMC Mag AM3. Ignore the date stamp, looks like the camera needs to be set.

It's good that Verbatim has started to label their "landfill grade" DVDs with the "Life Series" logo.

It's like Verbatim had been trying to fool their customers and mother nature. And we know "It's not nice to fool mother nature!"

post #23 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Actually "Datalife" is Verbatims top of the line discs(and not really available B&M) I think you are thinking about Verbatim Life series which are found B&M and are not really Verbatim made but CMC which makes discs for most companies including the dreaded Memowrex eek.gif

It’s funny because in Canada the major stores sell Verbatim AZO discs and in fact some of the stores such as London Drugs sell only AZO if you want Verbatins.

Future Shop Canada CLICK FOR LINK

Staples Canada CLICK FOR LINK

London Drugs Canada CLICK FOR LINK

tongue.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif
post #24 of 24 Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't bought any "Life" series Verbs to compare to AZO Verbs, but I would have expected the dye colors to be different between the two.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page