Burning baseball games from DVR onto DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this stuff so please bare with me. I am a NCAA baseball umpire and often DVR the games I officiate that are shown on the Big Ten Network, ESPN U, etc. I have AT & T Uverse DVR and/or Comcast Cable provided DVR and wondering what is the best way to transfer one of my recorded games from my AT & T/Comcast cable provided DVR to a DVD Disk so it can be viewed on a standard DVD player and/or computer. Not sure if it matters but I have an Hi Def TV that uses an HDMI connection to my DVR. When I record my games, I DVR them using the HD channels (ie ESPN HD, BTN HD) to get the best picture quality. Any advice on what DVD recorder to buy and what type of DVD discs to use (RW+/-?). Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!!

Ump #27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 136

It sounds like one of the new Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders would do a good job. Click 1st link in my sig. for details.

You could copy games from your DVR to the Mag's HDD, analyze it there for "close calls", etc. then dub to DVD if desired using high-speed dub (HSD) for no loss in quality. Analyzing action on a HDD is much better than on a DVD since it's much smoother and faster on the HDD original, so single-frame moves are clean and predictable as far as movement goes. Do-able on a DVD but slower response times.

post #3 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wajo - I will definitely look into that option. What if I just use my existing DVR from Cable or AT&T (which plays my games in HD because I record them on the HD Channels (ESPN HD, Big Ten Network - BTN HD) and then want to burn/copy it onto a blank DVD disk so that I can send it to my supervisor. friends, etc.? Are there other DVD recorders (maybe less expensive?) that can do the trick? Thanks again for your advice/help!

Sal
post #4 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #5 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If cost is really your only concern then a simple tuner and HDD less line input recorder may work for you(sometimes can be had for $100). The issue with such recorders, and the reason a HDD model like the Magnavox is often suggested, is for one it's much easier to compile things on a HDD of such a Magnavox and then HS copy them to a DVD. Another issue is directly burning to DVD can be problematic and if things fail you may lose everything. This isn't as important since you are coming from a DVR and can just play it back again but this does incur wasted time.
Another thing cheaper DVDRs often exclude is the handy 2 1/2 hr or even 3hr speed, although if you stick with no more than 2hrs/DVD(SP) for best quality that shouldn't be a issue.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JJeff and Wajo for your advice - I just ordered the Magnavox HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner, 320GB online from Walmart and it's coming in for store pickup this coming Friday biggrin.gif
I would like to share with you what my current setup looks like and how I plan to use my new HDD/DVR.

NOTE #1: The only reason I am purchasing this new HDD DVR is to DVR my baseball games that air on ESPN U (HD) and the Big Ten Network (BTNHD) and then make a DVD copy so I don't have to keep asking the TV people in the video truck to burn me a DVD copy after the game.
NOTE #2: To keep things simple, my wife and kids will still want to use the existing cable box DVR that AT& T provides to record all of their cable TV shows (because they are used to using it and don't want to relearn a new way of doing things). My plan is to use the new HDD DVR strictly to DVR baseball games and then make/burn a copy of the games to a DVD disc so that I can send them to my supervisor, friends and family, etc.

My current setup at home is the following:
1. I have a Panasonic HDTV with an HDMI cable which I think is connected to the AT&T box?
2. The TV has a yellow Ethernet cord that I believe goes from the cable box to the back of the TV?
3. The TV is kind of like a "smart tv" because we can download movies directly from Amazon... which I think comes automatically preloaded on Panasonic HDTVs. It has a few other preload internet sites (You Tube, Weather, etc) that we can access but hardly ever use.
4. To complicate matters, I have an older DVD & VHS combo player that is also connected in the mix. We only use this as a DVD player and never use the VHS part of it and do not use this to record anything (we use the DVR that comes with the AT&T Uverse box to record our shows off cable)

With all that said I have the following questions with how the new setup will be:

1. Do I need to purchase any additional cords/wires/cables/splitters to do my new setup or can I just use the one's that come with the Magnavox HDD DVR? If so, please let me know what I need to get so I can do buy it before-hand and be ready to install everything when my new HDD/DVR comes in on Friday
2. I would imagine that it is easier to DVR the games to my HDD/DVR and then burn copies when needed rather than recording the LIVE games directly to DVD… correct? Is the video quality any better doing it one way vs the other?
2. Since I cannot burn DVDs from my AT&T cable DVR, can I transfer my previously recorded games from the cable DVR onto the new HDD/DVR so that I can then burn/make DVD copies of those past games that are sitting on my AT&T cable DVR?
3. When I add/connect my new Magnavox HDD/DVR, can I throw out the older DVD & VHS combo unit since we really only use it to watch DVD movies (which I think my new Magnavox will be able to do)?
4. I like to watch and DVR the HD channels of ESPN & BTN which are channels #1604 and #1650 on my AT&T Uverse box - will the higher number channels be a problem to record on the new HDD/DVR (I thought I read on one of the forums that the HDD/DVR can only record channels from 1-99)?
5. My games are on an average 3 – 3 1/2 hrs in length (including commercials), what kind of DVDs should I buy to record/burn/copy my games in the highest video quality. It would be great if I could get each game on one DVD but I realize that it will probably take two DVDs for each game?
6. Given what I have now, can you help explain the best way to connect everything, ie. AT&T ethernet cable goes from the wall into the AT&T DVR box and then another ethernet wire go from the AT&T DVR box to the Panasonic HDTV and then wire(s) go from the Panasonic HDTV to the new Magnavox HDD/DVR? Again, it would be great to eliminate my older DVD/VHS player if possible

If it would be easier to reply directly by email, my personal email, it is salgiaco@sbcglobal.net or feel free to just call me on my cell at 586-530-6795. Sorry for the long post and I really do appreciate all of your help guys provide here on this forum!
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump27 View Post

Thanks JJeff and Wajo for your advice - I just ordered the Magnavox HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner, 320GB online from Walmart and it's coming in for store pickup this coming Friday biggrin.gif
I would like to share with you what my current setup looks like and how I plan to use my new HDD/DVR.

NOTE #1: The only reason I am purchasing this new HDD DVR is to DVR my baseball games that air on ESPN U (HD) and the Big Ten Network (BTNHD) and then make a DVD copy so I don't have to keep asking the TV people in the video truck to burn me a DVD copy after the game.
NOTE #2: To keep things simple, my wife and kids will still want to use the existing cable box DVR that AT& T provides to record all of their cable TV shows (because they are used to using it and don't want to relearn a new way of doing things). My plan is to use the new HDD DVR strictly to DVR baseball games and then make/burn a copy of the games to a DVD disc so that I can send them to my supervisor, friends and family, etc.

My current setup at home is the following:
1. I have a Panasonic HDTV with an HDMI cable which I think is connected to the AT&T box?
2. The TV has a yellow Ethernet cord that I believe goes from the cable box to the back of the TV?
3. The TV is kind of like a "smart tv" because we can download movies directly from Amazon... which I think comes automatically preloaded on Panasonic HDTVs. It has a few other preload internet sites (You Tube, Weather, etc) that we can access but hardly ever use.
4. To complicate matters, I have an older DVD & VHS combo player that is also connected in the mix. We only use this as a DVD player and never use the VHS part of it and do not use this to record anything (we use the DVR that comes with the AT&T Uverse box to record our shows off cable)

With all that said I have the following questions with how the new setup will be:

1. Do I need to purchase any additional cords/wires/cables/splitters to do my new setup or can I just use the one's that come with the Magnavox HDD DVR? If so, please let me know what I need to get so I can do buy it before-hand and be ready to install everything when my new HDD/DVR comes in on Friday
Possibly a RF splitter and RF cable to go from the splitter to your Magnavox, both only required if using the Tuner on the Magnavox(see later questions to determine if you'll be using the tuner).
HDMI or Component cable(with L&R audio cable) to run from the Magnavox to your TV(see later question to determine which cable to use).
Video and audio cables to run from your DVR/STB to the Magnavoxes line input. If your DVR/STB has S-video output(probably unlikely) that may give you a little bit better picture quality than composite, otherwise composite is OK too. A new Magnavox may(Wajo would know for sure) come with a shorter composite/audio cable, if so you may be able to use it.
One thing we didn't talk about is Wide Screen(16x9). If recording from your DVR/STB and if your programming is WS(probably will be if it's HD) and if your DVR/STB does not output WS from it's S-video or composite output(good possibility it doesn't) then you may want to think about a component-to-S-video converter. It takes your DVRs WS component and converts it to WS S-video/composite. Without such a device you may get letterboxed WS recordings, such converters are <$50 and available from Monoprice.com(who also has great deals on cables you might need).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2
Quote:

2. I would imagine that it is easier to DVR the games to my HDD/DVR and then burn copies when needed rather than recording the LIVE games directly to DVD… correct? Is the video quality any better doing it one way vs the other?
Offloading your DVR is the best and easiest method. I don't know if we ever determined if the channels you want to record are clear QAM(doubtful) but if they were(meaning you could directly tune them with your TV) your best quality would be to tune them with your Magnavoxes built in QAM tuner, otherwise if scrambled you would have to use your DVR or a STB's video output and run that to the Magnavox's line input.
Quality will be the same if recording direct to DVD or the HDD and then HS copying to DVD. Most HDD DVDR owners avoid realtime burning and prefer to first record to the HDD and then HS copy to DVD as it saves laser burn time.
Quote:

2. Since I cannot burn DVDs from my AT&T cable DVR, can I transfer my previously recorded games from the cable DVR onto the new HDD/DVR so that I can then burn/make DVD copies of those past games that are sitting on my AT&T cable DVR?
Yes you can offload anything you want off your DVR(unless it's Copy Protected, which would require a Video Filter or component-to-S-video converter mentioned earlier).
Quote:

3. When I add/connect my new Magnavox HDD/DVR, can I throw out the older DVD & VHS combo unit since we really only use it to watch DVD movies (which I think my new Magnavox will be able to do)?
Yes although people who play DVDs a lot may prefer to use a cheaper standalone DVD player to save wear and tear on the DVD drive. If you only use it for the occasional movie I wouldn't worry at all using it as your only DVD player.
Quote:

4. I like to watch and DVR the HD channels of ESPN & BTN which are channels #1604 and #1650 on my AT&T Uverse box - will the higher number channels be a problem to record on the new HDD/DVR (I thought I read on one of the forums that the HDD/DVR can only record channels from 1-99)?
Not if you use your DVR or STB to tune the channels, the 1-99 only comes into play when using the Magnavoxes built in tuner to record your programs.
Quote:

5. My games are on an average 3 – 3 1/2 hrs in length (including commercials), what kind of DVDs should I buy to record/burn/copy my games in the highest video quality. It would be great if I could get each game on one DVD but I realize that it will probably take two DVDs for each game?
If you plan on deleting the commercials(would probably take less than 15 minutes to remove them) and your end length will be less than ~2hrs 9 minutes, SP would be the best speed to use recording to the HDD. If you don't want to bother with removing commercials or the end length will be over 2hrs 9 minutes, you'll need to determine for yourself if you want to use longer speeds(2 1/2, 3 or 4hr speed). Many people are fine with the 2 1/2 or 3hr speed but notice a big drop when going to 4hrs/DVD. Personally I'd prefer SP for sports but it's your call.
Quote:

6. Given what I have now, can you help explain the best way to connect everything, ie. AT&T ethernet cable goes from the wall into the AT&T DVR box and then another ethernet wire go from the AT&T DVR box to the Panasonic HDTV and then wire(s) go from the Panasonic HDTV to the new Magnavox HDD/DVR? Again, it would be great to eliminate my older DVD/VHS player if possible
If your TV has a open HDMI cable(or second choice component) run that cable(along with audio if using component) from your Magnavox to your TV. If you plan on using the Magnavoxes tuner(only if channels you want to record are clear QAM) then you'll need a splitter on your coax cable coming from your wall with one side going to your DVR and the other to the Magnavoxes RF in.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mag only includes a short push-on coax and thin YWR RCA cables. You'll probably want an HDMi cable for the Mag-to-TV connection and high-quality (digital) YWR RCA and S-Video cables for connection between DVR and the Mag for copying or simultaneous recording. You can use the YWR that comes with the Mag and another YWR RCA you might have on hand to connect Mag to TV.to start and see what you'll need later.
With the family liking how the STB (ATT box) and DVr work, might be best to start by recording "normally" to the DVR, then copy off to the Mag? You could save a step if you set a coordinated timer in the Mag to record the games live while the DVR is also recording (assuming the ATT box outputs simultaneously from its composite YWR or S-Video (hopefully it has at least one of those, otherwise will require a converter).

Yes, see my answer in #2 above.

You can watch DVD movies etc. with the Mag, no matter what others say, as described here.

If you set up a DVR or S-Video connection from the DVR to the Mag, you'll be able to COPY games from those recorded by the DVR later (anytime), OR you can set a coordinated timer program to RECORD the games while the box/DVR is recording them. Either way, you can offload them to the Mag's DVD burner, either from the HDD original you recorded simultaneously, or from a copy from the DVR to the Mag.

If you want the best quality on one DVD disc from a 3 to 3-1/2 hour games, see this help file on ways to accomplish that by recording at 2-hr-SP and editing out commercials and other fluff:

Ethernet not involved in Mag setup. You just need a line connection from Mag to TV and the composite or S-Video + LR audio connection from box/DVR to Mag as described in answers above.

Here's a sketch for a typ. setup with a cable box that might help a little.

Except, with ATT's "system-gateway" type of box and your family's liking for the "status quo," you might be best not to "interfere" with their enjoyment by connecting the Mag 1st on the coax. My suggestions above all ass-u-med it might be best for you to be a "foreign adjunct" to their setup only for your special game capturing purposes?  biggrin.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

WOW - thanks to both of you for the in-depth responses!!!!!! I went home and double checked my current set up and it is as follows:

1. There is a coax cable coming from wall to coax input on the AT&T DVR cable box.
NOTE: There is a coax output that is NOT being used on the AT&T DVR cable box
2. There is a coax cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the coax output on the DVD/VHS combo player. NOTE: There is also a coax cable input that is NOT being used on the DVD/VHS combo player… since we don’t watch a lot of DVD movies, I want to eliminate the DVD/VHS combo player entirely and just use the new Magnavox HDD-DVR
3. There is an HDMI cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the back of the Panasonic HDTV
4. There is Ethernet cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the back of the Panasonic HDTV
NOTE: There are two rows of YELLOW/WHITE/RED S-Video slots as well as a USB slot on the back of the AT&T DVR cable box that are not being used
5. There is a RED/YELLOW/WHITE (S-Video?) cables going from the back of the HDTV to the Line In #1 on the DVD/VHS combo player.

If I'm understanding your posts, then my new setup will look something like this:

1. Connect the coax cable that is coming from the wall to the Mag FIRST

2. Connect the AT&T DVR output to Mag line input using high-quality (digital) YWR RCA and S-Video cables (brand/model and where to order online?) OPTIONAL: Use YWR that comes with Mag + my existing YWR to connect Mag to TV. Question - why do I need to connect two sets of YWR if one end goes into the Mag and the other into my TV?

3. Connect Mag to TV with existing HDMI cable or purchase new higher quality HDMI cable (brand model and website to order?)

4. Continue recording my games using the AT&T DVR box as I am currently doing. Then I can just "off-load" the games from AT&T DVR onto the Mag HDD and then use high speed dub to burn the games from the Mag HDD onto a standard DVD disc

5. Eliminate existing DVD/VHS combo player and just use Mag for when I want to watch a DVD movie (don't do this very much as we normally just use the Amazon internet feature on the TV to download a movie to watch

6. Since I will NOT be using use the Mag tuner (think its easier to just use my existing DVR to tune the channels), I will NOT need an RF splitter and RF cable

7. As for recording, I will probably just use two DVDs for each game and record them at the highest quality speed (2 hr SP) and just leave in the commercials and fluff for now until I get a better handle on how to better use the features of the new Mag

Hopefully, I got this down correctly... if you guys could tell me where to order the higher quality YWR S-Video cables and possible a new HDMI cable to replace my existing one (if necessary).

Thanks again guys for all your advice and recommendations!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1. Just plug the output YWR (composite video) from your AT&T to Input 1 or 2 in your Magnavox.
2. Now with your HDMI cable connect the Maggy to any of the HDMI inputs on your TV.
3. You don't need the most expensive gold shield YWR, S-Video, HDMI cables. They won't change the Picture Quality.*

*The Maggys are SD recordes because the FCC, Gredywood and our good friends of the Cable/Sat cos don't want that you or any American made an easy HD record from their DVRs. That's why the USB port of your AT&T box is disabled, in a perfect world you could plug an USB drive there and record easily your games.

**If you need HD and nothing less, the best solution will be to purchase a TiVo with LifeTime, record the games in it and then exporting them to your PC, do the editing there and finally burning DVDs or Blu-Ray discs or exporting to an USB (but I don't know if TiVo will work with your AT&T service, and of course if the games are copy protected, there will be no way to export them to your PC, etc.)

***The other solution will be to get a fabulous Home Theather Personal Computer and a Cable Card from your cable provider... but that's another history.

Now, just for your information, here are some real devices with HD inputs, but most of them are useless for your needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Well, technically in the US there is still our little friend the JVC SR-HD2500US:

And of course in Japan there was (is?) his old cousin the JVC DR-BH250 ready to deal with VHS, DVD, BluRay and HDD recordings:

If you want to record HD content from your Cable or SatBox DVR using its HDMI ouputs you can try to get the MagicPixel MTV-7000D (not the mini) from Pirate Bay (AKA Hong Kong):

Finally in Europe there is this Funai Blue Ray Recoder, the BH2-M200:

BH2-M200
post #11 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Profhat - I think you have cleared things up for me smile.gif

Since we do occasionally order AT&T VOD for movies, I will likely need to connect a bidirectional (2-way) splitter to the incoming coax cable with one coax going to the AT&T box and the other coax going to the MAG. This is done so that the MAG can communicate directly with the AT&T Box without the MAG’s uni-directional splitter blocking the 2-way activity.

Thus, my new setup will be connected as the following:

1. Connect the coax cable that is coming from the wall to 2-Way Splitter with one coax going to “Ant IN” on the MAG and the other coax going to “Ant IN” on the AT&T Box
2. Connect existing HDMI cable from HDMI slot on MAG to HDMI slot on TV
3. Connect existing Ethernet cable from the AT&T box to the HDTV
4. Connect YWR S-Video Composite cables from the output on the AT&T box to the “line input 1” on the MAG

I tried to make a drawing to illustrate this - do this look correct to you guys?????

HDD Layout.jpg 6k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDD Layout.jpg (6.4 KB, 8 views)
post #12 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. There is a coax cable coming from wall to coax input on the AT&T DVR cable box.
NOTE: There is a coax output that is NOT being used on the AT&T DVR cable box
It's possible you could use that output to feed the antenna IN on the Magnavox but only if it's labeled passthru or something to that effect, you can't use it if it's only modulated channel 3 or 4 output.
Quote:

2. There is a coax cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the coax output on the DVD/VHS combo player. NOTE: There is also a coax cable input that is NOT being used on the DVD/VHS combo player… since we don’t watch a lot of DVD movies, I want to eliminate the DVD/VHS combo player entirely and just use the new Magnavox HDD-DVR
This makes no sense confused.gif what does your DVR say that connection is for? if it comes from your combo's RF output then it would have to say RF input, which again makes no sense.
Quote:

3. There is an HDMI cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the back of the Panasonic HDTV
This is right.
Quote:

4. There is Ethernet cable going from the AT&T DVR cable box to the back of the Panasonic HDTV
NOTE: There are two rows of YELLOW/WHITE/RED S-Video slots as well as a USB slot on the back of the AT&T DVR cable box that are not being used
Leave the Ethernet cable alone and you'll be using one of the S-video cables and audio cables to run to the line input 1 of your Magnavox(make sure to configure the Magnavox for S-video input, I believe the default is composite).
Quote:

5. There is a RED/YELLOW/WHITE (S-Video?) cables going from the back of the HDTV to the Line In #1 on the DVD/VHS combo player.
S-video is generally not yellow and is round and has several pins inside the connector, composite is generally yellow and only has one large round pin in the center. This also really makes no sense, how is that connection labeled on your TV? Video output is very rare and really only on older('05-'07) HDTVs.
Quote:

If I'm understanding your posts, then my new setup will look something like this:

1. Connect the coax cable that is coming from the wall to the Mag FIRST

2. Connect the AT&T DVR output to Mag line input using high-quality (digital) YWR RCA and S-Video cables (brand/model and where to order online?) OPTIONAL: Use YWR that comes with Mag + my existing YWR to connect Mag to TV. Question - why do I need to connect two sets of YWR if one end goes into the Mag and the other into my TV?

3. Connect Mag to TV with existing HDMI cable or purchase new higher quality HDMI cable (brand model and website to order?)

4. Continue recording my games using the AT&T DVR box as I am currently doing. Then I can just "off-load" the games from AT&T DVR onto the Mag HDD and then use high speed dub to burn the games from the Mag HDD onto a standard DVD disc

5. Eliminate existing DVD/VHS combo player and just use Mag for when I want to watch a DVD movie (don't do this very much as we normally just use the Amazon internet feature on the TV to download a movie to watch

6. Since I will NOT be using use the Mag tuner (think its easier to just use my existing DVR to tune the channels), I will NOT need an RF splitter and RF cable

7. As for recording, I will probably just use two DVDs for each game and record them at the highest quality speed (2 hr SP) and just leave in the commercials and fluff for now until I get a better handle on how to better use the features of the new Mag
1. No run the wall coax to a 2-way splitter and one output to the Mags RF in and the other to your DVRs RF in.
2. Any S-video and audio cables will really do, Monoprice.com is cheap and decent quality, I'd suggest them for all your cables.
3. Again any cable Monoprice sells is generally pretty decent, HDMI cables start out at less than $5 up to ~$10 for nice thin Redmere cables that are very easy to run or coil up.
4. Exactly!
5. Agreed
6. Personally I'd use the Magnavoxes tuner for channels that are clear QAM(generally locals and shopping channels, may be lucky enough to get more) this way you could record those and also watch or record something completely different on your DVR. You'll also probably get better picture quality recording from your Magnavoxes tuner than it's line input but for scrambled channels you'll have no choice to use your DVR.
7. Thats fine, you could also watch your games as you record them and PAUSE the Magnavox during commercials or scanning of the commercials if they've already been recorded on your DVR.

For testing purposes you may want to run a composite cable(the one currently going to your combo would work) directly to your TV and select that input. Your sure to notice a big drop in quality compared to the HDMI cable from your DVR to TV because that one is HD compared to SD from the composite cable, just know that any recordings on your Magnavox will look no better than that composite cable(actually S-video may be a tad bit better but still not HD). If the picture is postage stamped(black bars on all sides) you may want to consider the component to S-video converter I mentioned previously. It takes the 16:9 full screen component and converts it to full screen S-video.
Lastly something I should mention, many HD DVRs disable the SD outputs when they detect you have a HDMI cable hooked up, if this is the case things are going to get even more complicated eek.gif The best way to test for this is to, while the HDMI cable is hooked to your TV verify that your DVR also outputs from it's composite output(also run the composite cable to your TV) if you get a signal from the composite cable your good to go.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response - I will definitely take your recommendation and use the splitter as you stated.

One last thing - what is the best way for me to connect my AT&T Box to my HDTV? Currently, I am using a HDMI cable from the HDMI slot on the AT&T box to the HDMI 1 slot on the HDTV.

I checked the back of both of my units (AT&T box & HDTV) and it looks like I have several options:

1. Leave existing HDMI cable that's already in place connecting the AT&T box to the HDMI 1 slot on HDTV (will that disable SD inputs?)
2. Connect an RF Coax cable from the "To TV Video Out" on the AT&T box and connect it to the ANT IN on the HDTV
3. Connect S-Video cable from the AT&T box and connect it to the S-Video on the HDTV (both units have S-Video inputs)
4. Connect Yellow/White/Red (YWR) RCA Audio cables from AT&T box to the YWR ports on the HDTV (similar to YWR cables that will be used to connect AT&T box - "Audio/Video Out" to MAG - Line 1 Input)
5. Use Red Blue Green (RBG) Component video cables from the back of AT&T box and connect them to the YWR ports in the back of the HDTV

I have attached a PDF Diagram (see below) that illustrates all 5 of these scenarios - can you guys tell me which one would be best for my new setup? Thanks again for all your help!!!!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf HDD Setup Options.pdf (59.7 KB, 10 views)
post #14 of 15 Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have attached a PDF Diagram (see below) that illustrates all 5 of these scenarios - can you guys tell me which one would be best for my new setup?

Awesome pal! If all the questions here bring a picture or a good Diagram like yours, this place will be heaven!

I recommend keep the option #1, the chances for an analog output auto disabled in your AT&T model are like the 30%. Of course we must to wait until the Maggy is in your home, or you can try the AT&T outputs, connecting it to 2 or more TV at the same time.

The option 2 is a bad idea, I even don't know if your deco will deliver HD signal in that way.

Options 3 & 4 will only give you SD video signal, but WOW a TV with S-Video input it's a rarity in our days!

Option 5 is good enough but you also will need to feed the audio inputs of your TV, from the AT&T.

BTW in the next years the TVs and Cableco DVRs will be 100% Wireless. Thanks Apple. mad.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. I am picking up Maggy tomorrow and will try to put this whole thing together on Saturday morning:eek:. Thanks again guys everyone here has been so helpful!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page