Best converter for recording from Comcast to DVD Recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a product that will transmit an HDMI signal from a Comcast cable box to a DVD Recorder with av or component input. Does such a device exist? If so, can I be pointed in the right direction? Much thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
DVD recorders use composite or S-Video for recording, no component in. If you're looking to convert HDMI or component to composite then this will work.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2

All recordings will be in SD only.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Technically, a few DVD recorders with component do exist, like the Polaroid 2001G. But it's the worst DVD recorder I've ever had.

Why not skip the cable box altogether and get full HD recordings using a cable card tuner? It's cheap and works far better than a DVD recorder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A thread talking about HDMI to component or S-video converters.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1335030/hdmi-to-component-or-s-video-composite-converters
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmapimidas View Post

I am looking for a product that will transmit an HDMI signal from a Comcast cable box to a DVD Recorder with av or component input. Does such a device exist? If so, can I be pointed in the right direction? Much thanks!
Doesn't your cable box have composite and/or component outputs? I have, and use, an HDMI to composite/S-Video converter. It works, but isn't great. The composite output of my DirecTV box is far superior to the output of the converter.

I got mine from Monoprice, but they don't carry it any more, or at least, I can't find it there anymore. It looks exactly like this one.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 9 Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Doesn't your cable box have composite and/or component outputs? I have, and use, an HDMI to composite/S-Video converter. It works, but isn't great. The composite output of my DirecTV box is far superior to the output of the converter.

I got mine from Monoprice, but they don't carry it any more, or at least, I can't find it there anymore. It looks exactly like this one.

most boxes out there that i have seen don't keep the widescreen flag on the SD outputs. Especially with those of us that record sports, it is a big drawback

Only NBC/NBC Sports network i believe still full screen their sports.

I, too, am in the market for one, and am surprised that I couldn't find it on Monoprice
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

most boxes out there that i have seen don't keep the widescreen flag on the SD outputs. Especially with those of us that record sports, it is a big drawback

Only NBC/NBC Sports network i believe still full screen their sports.

I, too, am in the market for one, and am surprised that I couldn't find it on Monoprice

I find this statement confusing. My DVD recorders do not record onto the DVDs the WS flag, and the presence or absence of the WS flag has no impact on my TV watching at all. I set my television to stretch, and the anamorphicaly recorded programs are in the proper aspect ratio. When I have a genuine 4:3 program, I set the TV aspect for 4:3 and again, the proper aspect ratio is displayed. The only time the WS flag is of any consequence is if you record 16:9 content and play it on a 4:3 television. Without the flag, the DVD player doesn't know to letterbox the content to maintain the aspect ratio.

Are you recording widescreen sports and then playing them back on a 4:3 television?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I don't think it is really a matter of a WS flag. Most cable boxes assume that the analog composite/S-video outputs of their STB will be going to a legacy 4:3 TV since those outputs are incapable of transmitting HD. Hence they format the output for a 4:3 display by either clipping the 16:9 to 4:3 or letter boxing the 16:9 into a 4:3 frame with black bars above and below. This is a perfect arrangement for their customers who plug the box into their legacy TV but not so good for those who want to plug their box into a recorder with the intent of playback on a 16:9 display. Thus the need for a converter, and its negative impact on PQ, in order to record in the proper aspect ratio.

It's hard to see how one could win with a DVD recorder when being forced to record off a cable STB.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My solution is to use the component out of my cable box, then use a converter to s-video, which prevents black bars on top/bottom

It's been a success
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page