Panasonic PV 1275, PV 1340, and PV 1535 VHS VCRs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted a better quality (robustly built) mono VHS deck. I already have hifi units, but needed a mono deck for making tapes before the days of Hifi, to keep consistent with tapes made in the mid 80s. I have a collection of mid 80s blanks to help keep it all consistent to the time period.

I first found a Panasonic PV 1340 deck, which was a 1985 model with 2 heads. It ended up not working in fast forward, rewind, or play. And the belts were fine. So I decided instead of repair (if they can even fix the darn thing), to find another deck.

My second buy was a PV 1535 which is a 4 head unit. Same year- 1985. Model up from the previous deck. It worked partly. The deck would not show picture, but only sound, in SP mode. SLP was fine- which was okay with me, since the tapes I wanted to make were in SLP/ EP mode. The suddenly the deck started to crease the bottom of the tape at the beginning of the tape, and it wouldn't track as a result. Tried quite a few tapes, but same result. So I already had my eye on a third deck.

I purchased a PV 1275, which is even more robust in build, to the 1985 decks. It is a top loader, and is a heavy big unit- similar to pro decks of the day. I'll see if this one works as it is advertised to be. If not- this time I'll get it serviced.

Any comments on any of these three decks, in terms of build quality, parts, performance, etc? I know the 1985 decks have a common issue with the power supply going bad, but my decks didn't seem to show that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don’t understand why you need a mono deck.

Any old pre hi fi days VHS tape can be used with a Hi Fi recorder. The Hi Fi signal is embedded deep in the tape using a different head azimuth and different frequency carrier. As long as the quality of tape is good enough to record a decent picture than the tape is more than good enough to record Hi Fi sound.

I know some marketing folks would disagree and state that you need a Hi Fi tape or a High Grade tape with a deep enough oxide to bury the HF signal deep in the tape. Not true, any VHS tape is more than capable of cleanly recording the Hi Fi audio signal. In fact I used VHS HG tapes to record the much higher frequency SVHS luminance without a problem.

If you prefer to listen to only the linear mono track than most Hi Fi VCRs have an option to turn off the Hi Fi tracks.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As mentioned- I'm trying to make tapes as if they were made in the early mid 80s, which means no hifi. I have other tapes which are from that time period and I want these new ones to be the same as the old. Its a weird request, but I basically want the tapes to be as if they were made at that time period.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page