Just lucked into buying a Panasonic DMR-ES46V , a few questions if I may... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looked for a thread just on this recorder combo, if I missed it, please let me know. Anyway, really lucked out as my very heavily used JVC DR MV80, has become very unreliable(will still burn correctly once in awhile) and it didn't look like I was going to find another JVC Combo on ebay or elsewhere in my (very poor) price range. I also bought a Philips DVD recorder/HDD used off of craigslist that worked fine for a week, now the drawer insists on staying open at all times(A question for another thread)
So, found this near immaculate looking unit at an estate sale, and after being scared stiff reading the terrible Amazon reviews, felt much, much better reading what the experts here were saying about this Panasonic! cool.gif
Of course, no recorder is going to have everything you want, but I do miss a few things that I so far haven't been able to figure out(I have the manual too)
After recording a few movies, (Quality looked great in 4 hour mode) I noticed...no chapters! on the JVC and the 2 Toshibas I have(hey, I NEED 3 recorders, and I know that's still on the low side from what I read here! wink.gif ) they defaulted to making one every 5 minutes, which I then changed to every 10 minutes. I usually skip via chapters to make sure the end of the movie is there(I could punch in a particular time on the jvc if I wanted to) but when I hit the chapter button on the remote, I get some odd message...looked through the manual several times, and either I am overlooking it, or I can only add chapters with a RAM disc. I sure hope I am wrong! Went through the "menus" no dice so far.
Also, it seems 4 hour mode = exactuly 4 hours, unlike the 4:16 on the JVC, and 4:12 or so on the Toshibas. Clearly not a huge deal, but I can often get a 3rd film on a disc with that extra 16 minutes. I love the flexible time recording ability, have read more than actually used that, is that the way to get a bit more time on a disc? Is 4:00 what everyone gets on these?
I had a couple more questions, but didn't write them down...Oh well, any answers will be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Looks like this is the official EZ-45/6 thread but since it hasn't been used in over 3 years I can see how you couldn't find it.
To answer a couple of your questions:

1. On standard discs(not RAM) chapters are created every ~ every 5 minutes but only when you finalize, no way to change the duration and I think the duration kind of depends on the speed you use, slower speed results in a longer duration between chapters. With RAM discs you can place a chapter wherever you want with that button as well as delete them later, not with other discs frown.gif

2. You can get more than 4hrs LP with realtime recording but you would also have to have a Panasonic EZ DVDR and prep the discs in that machine. Doing so gives me ~4hrs 15 minutes LP, without doing this a few seconds less than 4 hrs is all you'll get frown.gif

3. If you really like the Panasonic you should keep an eye out for a '05 and newer one with a HDD('05 and newer for full resolution LP). With '05 and newer HDD Panasonics you can get the longer recording time without prepping your discs, add chapters wherever you want and get the reliability of HDD recording with the portability of DVD recording. The models you'd want to look for would be: EH-50. EH-55 and combo EH-75v as well as the international Panasonic EH-59/69 which start ~$350 new and ~$250 as floor models(of which I have 3). Note the international Panasonics don't have a N. American tuner so any recording will need to be done from it's line inputs.

Here is a thread I started with the various Panasonic models, features and links to threads and manuals.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff! I've started to dig into that thread. Saw on that thread, what you said too, that the machine defaults to a chapter every 5 minutes....but, on the movies I've recorded, no chapters at all! Even after finalizing. Is there a way they could have been shut off, and that I can then turn it back on?
Oh, There is no eject button on the remote, as I am sure you know...did they have them on earlier/ and or later models? I recall having a Philips player that had no eject button, but if you held down one button for 5 seconds(can't recall which one) it acted like an eject button.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

On Panasonic HDD less DVDRs you should get chapters ~ every 5 minutes......what type of DVDs are you using? I'm really only familiar with - discs, which are the best to use in our Panasonics, could you be using + discs? +RW are probably the least compatible with Panasonics. No way that I'm aware of to turn the auto chapter function off, except on HDD Panasonics.
Eject on the remote was dropped in '03 on Panasonics, because of this I know of at least one user who prefers such remotes(which work just fine on the newer ones too). Also if you happen to have a Panasonic BD player(which generally have eject on remote) the eject will work on Panasonic DVDRs too(as long as the remote codes have been set the same).
berigan likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Chapter marks are placed on -/+R, -/+RWs discs after they are finalized as you've discovered. Those chapters will not be displayed on the menu-in case that's what you were looking for. DVD Ram disc will not have chapters during any recordings except for those that are manually created. 

berigan likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6 of 13 Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

3. If you really like the Panasonic you should keep an eye out for a '05 and newer one with a HDD('05 and newer for full resolution LP). With '05 and newer HDD Panasonics you can get the longer recording time without prepping your discs, add chapters wherever you want and get the reliability of HDD recording with the portability of DVD recording. The models you'd want to look for would be: EH-50. EH-55 and combo EH-75v as well as the international Panasonic EH-59/69 which start ~$350 new and ~$250 as floor models(of which I have 3). Note the international Panasonics don't have a N. American tuner so any recording will need to be done from it's line inputs.

There is currently an open-box EH59 for $250 at B&H, and also an open box EH69 for $320 (almost the same machine with a bigger HDD). These open-box recorders don't come around all that often, so if you want it, I'd act quickly. Sometimes they won't have one for six months or more, but they have been having quite a few recently.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/659769/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR_EH59GA_K_Multi_Zone_250GB_HDD_DVD.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/659768/Panasonic_DMR_EH69GA_K_DMR_EH69GA_K_Multi_Zone_320GB_HDD_DVD.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by berigan View Post

Thanks Jeff! I've started to dig into that thread. Saw on that thread, what you said too, that the machine defaults to a chapter every 5 minutes....but, on the movies I've recorded, no chapters at all! Even after finalizing. Is there a way they could have been shut off, and that I can then turn it back on?
Oh, There is no eject button on the remote, as I am sure you know...did they have them on earlier/ and or later models? I recall having a Philips player that had no eject button, but if you held down one button for 5 seconds(can't recall which one) it acted like an eject button.

The last DVD recorder remote with an open/close button was the EUR7624KB0. This used to be available all over, but just looking now, I see that they are in very short supply. This came with the DMR E80, and a few other recorders. Even though it was, as far as I know, discontinued ten years ago, it still works perfectly with my EH59/69 machines--all three remote codes.
berigan likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys! Well Jeff, interesting that you mentioned what type of discs I was using...I forgot that after I recorded a movie for the very first time, it shut off right in the middle of the movie. (It was a TY premium disc) so, being a bit concerned if I had once again bought a used problem like the Philips I mentioned in the first post, I tried a Sony DVD+(Had them only because I had read either on this or another forum where someone with a tired JVC switched to them, and his was working like new again-I had a few work fine, then nothing but disc errors) well, I must have been hung up on getting chapters to show up before finalizing, which just doesn't happen on these. Anyway, after finalizing this movie, I took it out to see what it looked like on the Toshiba in the living room, and while looking fine, the whole film is but one chapter. But, putting it back in the Panny, it has chapters! Checked out the movies I copied in the LP mode on the TY discs(knock wood no unexplained stopping of a movie midstream again) The TY discs, played on the Toshiba also show the chapter stops, which I am happy about.

So, that creating chapter button on the remote is just for folks burning RAM discs, eh? Well, I can certainly see why that button is there, but the eject button had to go! wink.gif
I record a lot of films on Turner classic movies off of my Direct tv DVR. I usually skip ahead on the disc to the end of the movie, just to make sure I didn't cut off the end, or if there was a technical glitch that screwed up the end of the film before I delete the film off the DVR. But, before a disc is finalized(I can usually put 3 1:20 or shorter B&W B films on a disc in the LP mode) Is there any way to quickly get near the end of the movie? Time Slip hasn't worked for me so far, but perhaps it doesn't work on finalized discs? Will try tomorrow on an unfinalized disc after re-reading instructions.

Church AV Guy thanks for the info on those two units. Wish I had the money, but frankly I just don't at this time. frown.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes timeslip only works on unfinalized and RAM discs.
While kind of hokey, the way I get to the total end of a title(but again only works for unfinalized and RAM discs) is to go into thumbnail edit mode and then hit the next chapter button. It will take you to the last frame of the title(assuming you have no thumbnails on the title). From that point I hit the visual search button several times quickly(gets you into reverse slow motion), let it go for a few seconds and finally push PLAY. Next I quickly push the visual scan backwards again and it will search back from very near the end.
You have to monkey with the visual slow motion backwards because you can't directly go into visual backwards search once you are at the end of the title and in PAUSE mode smile.gif I very frequently do what I described but only with unfinalized DVDs, once finalized I really have no need to do it. The described trick is also handy when in the SHORTEN title mode which is only available using RAM discs and on the HDD of such a recorder.
berigan likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ah...ok, will try that thanks.
After you record a movie, is it possible to see what speed it was recorded in? (After the disc is finalized-not a huge deal, just wondering)
Also, just curious, when you use flexible recording, say to make a 75 minute film fill the disc...does the recorder go from XP to SP at some point, or is it basically like a rheostat and it's at a steady recording speed the whole way...hope I am making sense.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by berigan View Post

Ah...ok, will try that thanks.
After you record a movie, is it possible to see what speed it was recorded in? (After the disc is finalized-not a huge deal, just wondering)
Also, just curious, when you use flexible recording, say to make a 75 minute film fill the disc...does the recorder go from XP to SP at some point, or is it basically like a rheostat and it's at a steady recording speed the whole way...hope I am making sense.

...after the disk is finalized, I don't think so. Before, if you request properties, it will tell you if it had been recorded in a standard mode, but if it's been recorded FR, I think it just says FR. I'll have to research this a bit.

No, the machine does not change record quality during a recording. It selects a resolution and bitrate based on your time entry, and it uses that for the whole recording.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 13 Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

...but if it's been recorded FR, I think it just says FR. I'll have to research this a bit.
Yes no way to tell what FR was set for. I note on paper when I use FR what I set it for and I use decimal numbers rounded to the nearest 10th. For example FR set for 2hrs 42 minutes I call FR2.7, FR set to 2hrs 48 minutes I call FR2.8 and so on. Note these numbers are based on a blank DVD, if you used FR set to 1hr 30 minutes on a DVD that was half full the speed would actually be FR3. Oh and not sure if your aware but you can push STOP at any point during a FR recording and your shortened title be in the speed you've set FR for but of course be shorter that what you set FR for.
Using FR on a HDD is much easier since unless the HDD is almost full setting FR for any number always gives you a title of that speed(don't have to worry if the DVD has already been recorded to) FR3 is always FR3.
Setting FR for longer than 4hrs(on a new DVD) will result in the machine switching to 1/2 D1 resolution, something I try and avoid at all costs.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, another question.....is there a trick to FR? a way to pause it? Seems whenever I try it, it's recording before the movie I want to record is ready....
post #13 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I push the FR button, enter in my time, arrow down to OK and hit enter at about the same time my source starts. Note after entering your FR time you can also just hit REC(instead of arrowing down to OK) and that will work too.
And yes you can push PAUSE any time you want during a FR recording, it will just resume recording once you push PAUSE or REC again.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page