Trouble with MDR535H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not all the time but allot. While surfing I will get a repeat channel. Like go from ch5 to 6 and it will show ch. 6 but have the program thats on 5. If I go back to 5 and then to 6 it will correct itself. More of a problem is when I have channels set up to record sometimes it will not go to the next channel. Example record 15 have it set to record 44 but it will record 15 again. Even though the sign says it recorded 44. I have Sudden Link Cable. Its hooked up before their box as was told. Any help you can give is needed. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

2 or 3 others have reported this "sticky-channel" problem. Funai knows about it but not enough specific info to duplicate the problem for pinpointing a source.

Since you're the first I've read about who detailed their setup and indicated you're connected as I advise... coax to Mag 1st, then on to box... it might be worthwhile to separate the Mag and the box on the incoming coax with a bidirectional 2-way splitter. Run with that for enough time to see if the problem goes away or not?

Also, I'd turn the Mag's HDMI > CEC (fun-Link) Control OFF if you have that on.

This might serve to prove whether a downstream component, like a cable box or HDTV with HDMI control, could be causing some "feedback" problem in the Mag, esp. with HDMI communication links involved to one or both devices. 

Note: this is a wild-ass, unproved theory and NOT a problem statement.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a splitter. As for the HDMI I don't think I set it up. As don't know what it is. So guess I be just stuck with it till someone finds what it is? Guess no warranty is involved then. But thanks for the info and you have a great site.
post #4 of 29 Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Wajo do you think it would be covered under the warranty??
post #5 of 29 Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, and if you bought it from Walmart, you have 90 days to return it to any store.

post #6 of 29 Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well I did but my original box is gone after 3 months and they require it so guess I'm out of luck. But for your info I have been surfing and when it does the sticky channel I repeat the preivouse channel as above and then the right channel comes on. And since then all my recording ch. have been correct. So don't know if this has anything to do with it but will keep on trying it.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Hi Spyder Rider- My name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your cable and would be happy to assist in a resolution. Please email me directly at shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!
post #8 of 29 Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81

Wow! That's service almost unheard of in today's world. Shannon, knowing the poster's zipcode might help. I assume there is no SDV and the PSIP isn't causing a conflict? I have a 515H but my cable headend (www.secv.com - Sunbury) grooms all PSIP and 99% of SCTE-127 data.

post #9 of 29 Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry Joe but I have no idea what SDV,PSIP or SCTE-127 is. Wish I did but thanks for trying to help. And also cancel my last reply the sticky channel on record came back last night. mad.gif
post #10 of 29 Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder Rider View Post

Sorry Joe but I have no idea what SDV,PSIP or SCTE-127 is....

Ummm...

Joe was talking to Shannon, the SuddenLink person who's trying to help you.
post #11 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Update, went to support and they said unplug it for 30 minuets then reinstall but when I plugged it back in all was still set. So called the service and they said I need a RF modulator as the DVD was not getting the proper signal and needed to be plugged into the yellow video port not the ant. in port I have it in. Does this sound right? I'm just an 80 yr. old sheet metal worker so need all the help I can get. Thanks everyone.
post #12 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Update, went to support and they said unplug it for 30 minuets then reinstall but when I plugged it back in all was still set. So called the service and they said I need a RF modulator as the DVD was not getting the proper signal and needed to be plugged into the yellow video port not the ant. in port I have it in. Does this sound right? I'm just an 80 yr. old sheet metal worker so need all the help I can get. Thanks everyone.

I now know you don't have HDMI connected, so we can forget that.

However, did you connect a splitter on the incoming line with one output to the box and one to the Mag?

That will eliminate any feedback from the cable box as a potential cause... your box may be interactive and trying to send info back to the cable company thru the Mag..

post #13 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

post #14 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

WAJO yes I have the splitter on the incoming line as you said. Do you think I need the RF modulator?
post #15 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WAJO yes I have the splitter on the incoming line as you said. Do you think I need the RF modulator?

You son'r need a modulator if your TV has at least YWR RCA connections. Better connections, if available, could be HDMI, S-Video or Component Red/Green/Blue (RGB).

The Mag is not like your old VCR... nothing internal (menus. channels, HDD titles or DVD playback) goes thru the coax. Connect YWR RCA from Mag to TV and select that TV input to see internal Mag stuff, like your DVDs.

Only if your TV is so old that it has ONLY a coax connector would you need an RF modulator (sold at Walmart and many other places) or an old VCR to act as the modulator. 

post #16 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

She said I need a modulator from the cable to the Mag as connecting to the ant.inlet was confusing the Mag. So do I have any options? Guess Mag is not going to admit fault. Am I just stuck with a bad Mag?
post #17 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

She said I need a modulator from the cable to the Mag as connecting to the ant.inlet was confusing the Mag. So do I have any options? Guess Mag is not going to admit fault. Am I just stuck with a bad Mag?

No, you do not need a modulator between the incoming cable and the Mag. Keep your splitter on the incoming cable with coax out to both the Mag and the cable box.

You already have a separate connection between the Mag and your TV since you indicate your seeing recordings the Mag makes. What type of connection is this: YWR RCA, S-Video, Component RGB or HDMI?

post #18 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Its just a cable to splitter to Mag ant. in to the ywr to tv.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Its just a cable to splitter to Mag ant. in to the ywr to tv.

That sounds right... and the other leg of the splitter has coax to the cable box, right?

Then, the cable box needs its own connection(s) to the TV (depends on the box what kind is needed).

post #20 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes that is correct the cable box has its own connections. I have to switch between air cable and av mag. So any idea how to solve my sticky channel thingy?
post #21 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes that is correct the cable box has its own connections. I have to switch between air cable and av mag. So any idea how to solve my sticky channel thingy?

No, as I said, Funai doesn't know either. Except for the sticky channel, keep things the way they are, you don't need anything changed in your conections.

The one "last straw" thing you could do is something I don't think you'd like... find out if you have a specific channel or pair of channels that's sticking. Basically, I'm thinking your problem is either something inside the Mag, which we can't do anything about, or it might be two channels fighting for one channel slot, This is called a "co-channel interference."

This is only a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) for what *MIGHT* be causing one channel to stick on occasion. You'd have to notice that it only happens with a certain channel or channels... like it only happens when trying to record 43 then 87 or some such combo. Of course, you might have more than one combo of channels but if it involves several random channel combos, the problem is probably not co-channel interference  

I'll give you this link to the "Map Your Own Solution" so you can see that it's all about.. I think it might be "above your pay grade"?

post #22 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I have lots of different channels that repeat. How or can I get them to replace my machine?
post #23 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Went to your map place but have tried lots of them already. Thanks anyway. Do you think there is anyway I can get them to admit its my machine and replace it?
post #24 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Went to your map place but have tried lots of them already. Thanks anyway. Do you think there is anyway I can get them to admit its my machine and replace it?

With lots of repeating channels, I feel more confident that your problem could be from co-channel interference.

However, on the Funai thing, all you can do is try.

post #25 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

So is there a co-channel fix?
post #26 of 29 Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, at the link I gave. You have to do all the work to find the interfering channels, as stated there, and you might even have to go to the "Clean Tuner" solution described after the Map-Your Own solution. Takes some research on your part and experimentation with deleting channels with the Manual Channel Preset menu.

All you need to know is there, in the help files, and you're the only one who can implement one or both solutions as described in the help files.

If those are "above your pay grade," you'll have to go the return-to-Funai route.

post #27 of 29 Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

zipcode?

post #28 of 29 Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry Joe been out of town. I guess you want my zip? Its 86426. And Wajo as for "being above my pay grade" I don't have one. I retired 31 years ago on my 49th B-day
post #29 of 29 Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Update Funai is replacing the unit. biggrin.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page