Closed captioning w/EH55 but not from set top box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Occasionally I watch the odd British mystery telecast where some or even much of the dialog is incomprehensible, and closed captioning would really help. I'm unable to see CC on my Panny plasma display even though there are a large number of CC options available on my plasma's remote menu (CC1 through CC4, plus T1 and a few addional Ts as well as choices between digital and primary, "second" and "Services 3, 4 and 5). My STB output to my display is by component rather than HDMI because I'd read that there were sometimes audio phase problems with HDMI. The video and audio are quite satisfactory with the component connection (I use an HDMI connection between my BluRay deck and the display and that also works well).

I've now found that if I go to the apparent CC default settings (CC1, digital and primary) and view the STB output using the EH55 composite audio and S-video connection outputs to the display the CC appear. Of course the video is standard def and of S-video quality but it is certainly watchable. Neither Comcast nor Panasonic tech supports have been able to assist me in trying to optimize the CC.

Could it be that, like HDMI, component connections cannot deliver CC to my display? I've read about the HDMI issue but was unaware that component connections might present a similar difficulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Turn Progressive Scan off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wajo,

My message and question was not as clear as I thought. I don't at all mind being able to receive the CC when the input to my display is coming from my EH55. I can always turn it off by simply using the menu for the Panny display to change the CC setting in "Setup" to off. I was really trying to determine if my failure to receive--when I want to do so--the CC signal is due to my use of a component connection from my set top box when the input is intended to not involve a recording by my EH55. My STB has its own TIVO-like DVDR and I use that when I want the highest quality IQ for direct viewing or viewing of a Comcast DVR recording of some film or program I don't intend to also record on or dub to my EH55.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Yes, my suggestion related to using Component RGB, which is the only one *typically* affected by the setting for Progressive Scan, which can strip analog CC. Any device, STB or EH55, that has Progressive Scan on and uses Component RGB might work better with PS off.

|
|
|
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Wajo.

I'll call Comcast to find out my Motorola STB has progressive scan on if it has progressive scan. Nothing in the Comcast operating instructions on screen or in the remote manual mentions the technical options and defaults available for and to the Motorola DVDR. When I walked through the on screen menu by telephone with the Comcast tech support person, she was surprised that the menu system had no option for CC. She thought that "perhaps" that option was not available in my location in Washington State and could provide no other help. Maybe I can escalate my question to the next higher tech support in my second call.

Evidently, my EH55's progressive scan is not turned on because I can receive the CC through the EH55 connection when, if and only I choose to. Otherwise, when I'm not using the EH55 to record a particular program or dub from the Motorola DVDR after the fact, and CC is not needed, I'll continue to use the component connection to receive my principal program material which of course is high def.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Most HD cable STB boxes do have setting for progressive or interlaced via HDMI and component.

Usually the settings are
1) Native (whatever the channel is broadcasting will pass through including 1080p @ 24fps or 30fps)
2) 1080i
3) 720p
4) 480p
5 480i

Setting 1 Native whatever the channel is broadcasting will pass through
Settings 2 to 5 – the STB will scale to that resolution.

On most Motorola boxes to get to the resolution menu you need to
1) Turn off the box and within’ 2 seconds
2) Hit either the OK/Select' button or the ‘Menu’ button and this will bring up a hidden menu. Sorry I’m not sure which of the 2 buttons to hit and I can’t turn of my Motorola to check for you because I’m time-shifting something at the moment.

Some Motorola boxes have direct resolution setting button right on the front panel as well. At least my DCX3400-M can be set either way.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Note: I’m not on Comcast.

OK I just went to my Motorola hidden menu.

1) Shut off box
2) Within 2 seconds hit ‘MENU’

This will bring up the hidden menu and there is a CC option for both digital HDMI and analog component/s-video/composite. CC works on progressive scan and HDMI. I just tried it via HDMI set at 720p to TV. I would imagine it would work via component as well.

Also had the S-video default to 480i and loop through my Sony DVDr and CC came through there too.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

On my second call to Comcast the tech support guy took me through Super Eye's exercise above. The simple option was to enable or disable CC (mine had been set to disable). Once enabled, the CC came right up. Of course, to shut off the CC you need to go back to that ":secret" menu and select "disable." Fortunately, "powering off" at least my Motorola STB does not erase the program guide for the next ___ hours, as does unplugging the box, which is often what Comcast tech folks ask when they're troubleshooting. I'm sure many others than me have also had the Comcast tech experience of being told that unplugging the box will only put the program guide out of commission for about forty-five minutes, when my experience is that it's an overnight repopulation of the program guide (which also makes it impossible to set the Comcast Motorola DVDR for future recordings until the program guide is repopulated at least past the point of the scheduled program you wish to record. Fortunately, I've got the EH55 to set for such a recording but, of course, it'll be an SD recording, not HD.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

It’s a good idea to get as familiarized as you can with any new electronic gear you bring home. If you know the features/specs and know how to use everything, you will enjoy it more.
For instance I have the Motorola DCX3400-M and the week I added it to one of my systems and hooked it up – I download the

1) Owner’s Manual PDF
Click Here

2) Data Sheet 1 PDF
Click Here

3) Data Sheet 2 PDF
Click Here

I pretty well do that with all my gear including any third party remote controls that come with the gear.

BTW the
1) Shut off box
2) Hit the 'OK/Select' button

Brings up the diagnostics screen.
Really cool stuff there including
-All the ports that are enabled/active
- Memory installed
- If CP is enabled including Copy Once and other flags.
- Type and size of HDD installed including current temp and hottest temp

If you have different motto box you may find manuals here
http://moto.arrisi.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Video-Consumer-Premise-Equipment/All-Digital-Set-Tops
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page