I should know better than this by now! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am hardly a novice at the DVD recorder process, but I made a really colossal mistake today. I was trying to do more than one thing at a time, and got tangled around my thought processes, and screwed up. frown.gif I was copying some titles from my EH59s hard drive to a series of -RAM disks, when my brain got out of sync. I put in the -RAM disk, and because there was some old data on it, I initialized it prior to the copy operation. I then did this with the next -RAM, and the next. On one of them, the machine, somehow, reverted to the HDD default, rather than the DVD default. Trying to get through these as quickly as possible, I didn't notice the change, and promptly initialized the HDD that I had the 54 titles on that I was copying over to -RAM disks! eek.gif Pretty irritating, still, no one to blame but me. I guess I have to start over again, well, I did have a few successfully transferred, so I won't need to start over from the very beginning. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

I will now be using the process advocated by jjeff, and will be burning the -RAM in realtime directly, rather than to the HDD and then copying to the -RAM disks.

Boy do I feel silly.

Just a cautionary tale for everyone.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Sometimes I also get moving pretty fast but I always take a pause when it comes to the second warning screen when formatting a RAM disc, you know the one that tells you that all information on the disc will be lost if you chose YES. I always double check to make sure it says on the DVD and NOT HDD, boy thats a bummer frown.gif
And just to make sure people understand, I think it would be more clear if you said burn to the RAM in realtime and not copy, when I hear the word copy I think of moving something from the HDD to removable disc smile.gif We are talking about the initial burn from something else(VHS tape, DVR, etc.) to the RAM disc and not first going to the HDD and then later HS copying to a RAM disc.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...I think it would be more clear if you said burn to the RAM in realtime and not copy, when I hear the word copy I think of moving something from the HDD to removable disc...

Okay, yes, you are correct--fixed it. I think it was like 1:00 AM when I wrote that, so I might not have been completely AWARE. I was also pretty depressed about having done something so stupid.

I got my first DVD recorder in 2006, and have been using them a lot ever since. This is the first time I have eve made that mistake. I was doing stuff on three different recorders at the same time, so was distracted. It's about 40 hours of content that I need to rerecord.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Sometimes I also get moving pretty fast but I always take a pause when it comes to the second warning screen when formatting a RAM disc, you know the one that tells you that all information on the disc will be lost if you chose YES. I always double check to make sure it says on the DVD and NOT HDD, boy thats a bummer frown.gif

With Panasonic menus it's too easy to make a huge blunder.

I've come close to formatting the hard drive two or three times when I was actually in HDD mode when I thought I was in DVD mode. At least I had the presence of mind to see that the options weren't quite "right" just long enough to hit RETURN so I could go to DVD mode before proceeding.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
54 titles about 40 hours of content needs to be re-recorded.
Yikes!!
I hope its content that can easily be re-recorded? Sorry for your loss.frown.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

54 titles about 40 hours of content needs to be re-recorded.
Yikes!!
I hope its content that can easily be re-recorded? Sorry for your loss.frown.gif

You might just as well said, sorry for your act of stupidity! I am not stupid, but I sometimes do stupid things. rolleyes.gif

I had 54 titles, all edited, titled, and were set to burn to -R disks. I had made 15 of those, and then accidentally initialized the HDD, so there are 39 titles, each around an hour or so, to do over. Yes, the sources are still available, so doing it again isn't the issue, it's the effort. Hey, there are 168 hours in a week, so how long can it really take, right? biggrin.gif

Luke

post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think most of us are guilty of making mistakes. Years ago I had to reformat windows because I accidentally deleted a critical file that was needed by the OS. On the next reboot I no longer had windows.

Around the broadcast and production circle over the years I know of a few people that recycled raw tapes of important one-time only shoots that were impossible to redo.

I know once you get into a fast mode of repeating tasks, mistakes can happen. I was once building a website and a similar thing happened to me. Mouse click task - yes Mouse click task - yes Mouse click task - yes after a few clicks, somehow a different task must of come on screen. Mouse click task – yes === Oops. There goes 2 hrs of work.

Glad that the content can be replaced. 54 titles all edited, titled and ready to go, ouch
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page