DVD recorder hookup/ how should I do this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba DR430. The cable box has an Ant in/Ant out and an HDMI out. The DVD recorder doesnt have an Ant/cable in/out slot at all, it just has an HDMI out port, a coaxial port, and the rest -RBG/RYW ports. The TV is not the issue, it has enough ports for any cables needed. How can I hook this up? Should I connect the cable box to the TV, then tv to the DVDr? does that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
The DR430 has no tuner which is why it does not have antenna in/out ports. The only video inputs it has is 1 S-Video and 1 composite video connection along with a single L/R stereo audio input. Everything else is an output (the coax is digital audio). In order to connect the DR430 to your cable box, your cable box needs to have either an S-Video output or a composite video output and stereo L/R outputs. If it has neither, then you can't connect it.

If your TV has a composite video output and stereo L/R audio outputs you can connect those to the DR430. However you will only be able to record what is being watched on the TV and the TV must obviously be on the whole time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

What if I include my Onkyo receiver, heres my setup
I have the cable box hdmi out going to my receiver.
I have Audio and video cable going from the same input on the receiver to the DVDR in the audio/video in.
The receiver has a HDMI video output which is going to the TV.
The DVDR should work... but its not. Whats wrong?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersrool View Post

The DVDR should work... but its not. Whats wrong?
You are going to have to be more specific than this. What doesn't work.

Do you know that the Onkyo will output the source from an HDMI input, through one of it's analog outs (either composite or S-Video). Many AVR's will only pass an HDMI input to the HDMI output. Have you plugged it into your TV to verify you have analog output. If the Onkyo can output analog then you can plug that into the DR430 and record it as long as it is not copy-protected. How is the DR430 connected to your display? Do you have the HDMI from the DR430 going into your HDTV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson 
Do you know that the Onkyo will output the source from an HDMI input, through one of it's analog outs (either composite or S-Video). Many AVR's will only pass an HDMI input to the HDMI output. Have you plugged it into your TV to verify you have analog output. If the Onkyo can output analog then you can plug that into the DR430 and record it as long as it is not copy-protected. How is the DR430 connected to your display? Do you have the HDMI from the DR430 going into your HDTV.

My questions almost exactly:
1) Will the Onkyo convert HDMI to Composite or S-Video? This seems unlikely to me, but I just don't know.
2) Does your television see the Onkyo composite/S-Video output (bypassing the DVDR)?
3) Are you sure that the video content is not copy protected?
4) if you play a commercially pressed DVD on the DVD recorder, is the content displayed properly on the television?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's an echo in here. smile.gif

- kelson h

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have a Toshiba DR430. The cable box has an Ant in/Ant out and an HDMI out. The DVD recorder doesnt have an Ant/cable in/out slot at all, it just has an HDMI out port, a coaxial port, and the rest -RBG/RYW ports. The TV is not the issue, it has enough ports for any cables needed. How can I hook this up? Should I connect the cable box to the TV, then tv to the DVDr? does that work?

No, that won't work. If you can't change your cable box, or get a converter, you will need a recorder with HDMI input.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

You'll need to visit your cable company (which is it, btw), and ask if they can provide you with a cable box with composite output.

Otherwise, you'll need something with composite in/outputs between the box and recorder. Do you have an old vcr? If so, a cumbersome workaround, is connect the cable box to the vcr, then use composite output from vcr to the Toshiba, and HDMI from recorder to tv. And yes, the vcr will need to be on whenever you watch or want to record from the cable box.

If your tv is an HDTV then a 2 way splitter will be needed-connected to the cable wire from the wall, them from splitter out to the cable box, with the other to the hdtv's RF input jack. That allows the tv's digital tuner to pick up and view any unscrambled QAM local tv station digitals that may still be passed thu while the recorder records a cable channel fed to it from the box.

There are HDMI to composite boxes that you can buy, but I have no experience using those, so I can't say how well they'd work. Reducing bulk space of a vcr would be the advantage of getting one.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You can temporarily use a makeshift VCR as go-between, like Westley-C suggested, but it will be a PITA and the recorded quality will be degraded much more than necessary.

The problem here is you have a weird cable box (no composite outputs is simply bizarre) combined with a bargain DVD recorder model specifically designed to ONLY work with cable boxes that have composite outputs. Your options are to exchange your decoder box for one with composite outputs (perhaps at higher monthly fee), or exchange the Toshiba for a different model with built-in tuner (more money, recorders with tuners priced under $200 are scarce). Any other solution will be a pig to use and reduce recording quality. The best-functioning, easiest option with the best video quality would be to change the decoder box to one with composite outputs.

Talk to your cable company: if they can't supply a box with composite outputs, post back here and people will give you more suggestions for adapter boxes and whatnot. Just bear in mind, adapting the HDMI or RF outputs of your existing cable box to suit most DVD recorders will result in dismal picture quality. If you aren't all that into burning DVDs to keep for your library, consider getting your cableco's integrated DVR/decoder box. Yes, its expensive, but it has full HDTV PQ and is the simplest recording alternative when dealing with cable service.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks everyone. Calling TWC right now.

Tags
Toshiba Dr430ku Dvd Recorder Black
Gear in this thread