auto-record playback incredibly pixelated on my Magnavox 515H. Is my HD going bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It happened once tonight and when I tried later, it didn't happen. I rewound the auto-recording and when it played back, it pixelated horribly. Not constant, but most of the time. I tried doing some plain recording and playback was normal. Then I tried rewinding the auto record again and it was normal. Is this the beginning of the end for my hard drive? This has never happened before and I'm the only one here that knows how to use the auto-record features so I am positive of that.

magnavox 515H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do you hear strange noises in the 515?

But more important, how much of your HDD is empty?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I don't hear any unusual noises. There's something recording now so I can't look at the menu (I don't think I can, anyway) but when I go to the record screen it shows just over 500 hours of free space at SLP. I'm not sure how many gb that would be.

eta: looking at the capacity charts for this size HD it looks like it would hold just over 600 hours at slp. So I think it's got plenty of space.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/720#user_HDDCap

magnavox 515H
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gale1965 View Post

It happened once tonight and when I tried later, it didn't happen. I rewound the auto-recording and when it played back, it pixelated horribly. Not constant, but most of the time. I tried doing some plain recording and playback was normal. Then I tried rewinding the auto record again and it was normal. Is this the beginning of the end for my hard drive? This has never happened before and I'm the only one here that knows how to use the auto-record features so I am positive of that.

What do you mean by "rewind"? Are you using the REW button all the way back to the beginning?

post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I was watching something and had to go do something during the commercial and missed part of the show, so I used the rewind to get to the point where I missed which was probably 10 minutes or less back.

magnavox 515H
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137

I'd just wait and see if it's a recurring, persistent problem since there are only some SKIP-code tests to check the HDD, but the meaningful ones delete recorded titles and settings.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

okay thanks. I was wondering if maybe it was a typical "hard drive is dying" kind of symptom. I have no problem getting a new machine if I have to-I love this thing. And when I first came to this forum I was very resistant and insisted I needed a vcr/dvd recorder and you all set me straight. biggrin.gif

magnavox 515H
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If the issue persist, you don't need a new 533 or 535... only buy a new HDD, open the 515 and change it by yourself. Is very easy. wink.gif
post #9 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I was watching something and had to go do something during the commercial and missed part of the show, so I used the rewind to get to the point where I missed which was probably 10 minutes or less back.

Wait, did you go back and rewatch what was pixelated before, or did you just go back to where you left off? Stupid question, probably, but could it be the source that was pixelated?
post #10 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

The live tv was not pixelated-only the playback was. I went back beyond where I quit watching and the parts that I didn't miss, before the commercial came on, were pixelated on the playback. When I initially watched them they were normal.

magnavox 515H
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

The live tv was not pixelated-only the playback was. I went back beyond where I quit watching and the parts that I didn't miss, before the commercial came on, were pixelated on the playback. When I initially watched them they were normal.
If you are watching through the Magnavox, you are never watching "live" you are always watching a playback of a recording. Everything is received, encoded, stored on the HDD and played back from the HDD to an output. For any of these playback devices, every now and then it could lose synch after a trickplay operation like fast RW and result in some sort of A/V defect. One of my devices will often lose audio synch or exhibit stuttering video playback after a fast RW. The solution in my case is simply to RW again for a couple seconds at the slowest RW speed then hit play -- it finds the synch after a slow RW and plays normally after that.

If this is not happening every time you RW, then I wouldn't worry about it. You noted that when you tried again it worked without issue. If it does happen again, try the slow RW for a couple seconds to see if that fixes it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I did try different things (slow rewind, pause, etc) but it didn't help at the time. But it worked fine last night when I tried it. I am pretty sure I used the 30 second backward jump over and over to rewind when I had the problem. I love that button.

eta: what I meant to say was that the whole thing worked fine last night-not that I had to try different things to get it to work. Since that one incident, the auto record has played back totally normal.

magnavox 515H
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page