Video Filter versus other recording options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a unit to connect my cable STB/DVR to my DVD Recorder. No experience seeing the results. Am pricing the Video Filter at the high end. The DP X7000 in the middle. And generic component to composite box at the low end. What quality recording can I expect as a result compared to a recording from an unrestricted source and direct connection to the dvd recorder when using the above mentioned or any other units to record a less user friendly source? Is it similar to using lower quality recording modes? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It's the same as recording without a stabilizer, if your using one it just makes everything user friendly. I have 2 7000 ($1180) and 3 Dimax Grex at ($100) and to me they're the same. You used to have to get Grex from Israel but I just noticed that Amazon is carrying them at $89, I wonder how long that will last.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I haven't used the Video Filter brand but have read it's quality is better than your other 2 options. AFA how the other 2 devices effect quality, I wouldn't say it's so much like lowering the recording quality but they tend to mess with the pictures contrast, gamma and especially black level. The component and HDMI to S-video converters also reduce the resolution which I don't like.
If I had to do it over I'd probably just bite the bullet and purchase the more expensive Video Filter but at this point I'm just going to live with what I've got.
I posted several screen shots of how a component to S-video and even my Sima video filter effected picture quality, I think it was in a thread titled cheaper component to S-video converters it was probably over a year ago, those screen shots might help you on showing exactly how these devices effect picture quality.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1335030/hdmi-to-component-or-s-video-composite-converters
http://www.avsforum.com/t/828063/cheaper-component-to-s-video-converter/390#post_20179592
post #4 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I went the Dimax Grex route via Amazon as suggested by JoeD. I had read somewhere earlier that the former Israeli source had shut down and some people hadn't had their orders filled - so I eliminated the Grex from consideration. But Amazon is obviously a different story in that respect and the purchaser/user comments are very positive. Thanks again to both and to JoeD for steering me in that direction. Forums like this are "old school" internet - the way it was supposed to be.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it works out.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegs View Post

Forums like this are "old school" internet - the way it was supposed to be.
More like "old-fart Internet" -- we just refuse to change.
And we get cranky. smile.gif

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 22 Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

@Kelson Lol I was going to cop to being an "old fart" but then I remembered George Carlin's routine about "Old farts and Old ****s" and if I'm remembering it correctly I think we fall more into the "old ****s" category. George classified himself as "Old ****."
post #8 of 22 Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

@Kelson Lol I was going to cop to being an "old fart" but then I remembered George Carlin's routine about "Old farts and Old ****s" and if I'm remembering it correctly I think we fall more into the "old ****s" category. George classified himself as "Old ****."
post #9 of 22 Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Works great - easy set up - no degradation in quality. Thanks again.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the feedback.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-4-Grex-Video-Stabilizer/dp/B0096I2DNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373552302&sr=1-1&keywords=Dimax+Grex
I think I just may purchase one of these the next time I place a Amazon order, if I don't like it I'd think returning it may be easy.
I'm particular about brightness level and didn't really see any complaints about that in all the reviews. One of my Simas has passable black levels but the other 2 are way too bright, I'd like something that doesn't brighten the blacks at all, and also no to very little resolution degradation. At $89 shipped the cost isn't too bad.
On the downside, the thing is sure ugly eek.gif looks like some sort of pace maker device or something else I've seen but can't quite remember now.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

What a bizarre looking design.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

What a bizarre looking design.

The Grex has always looked like that, and I have always thought it was strange looking--like something out of a bad Sci-Fi movie.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #14 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

The Grex has always looked like that, and I have always thought it was strange looking--like something out of a bad Sci-Fi movie.
Speaking of bad SciFi -- if you have SyFy channel on your cable, you absolutely need to watch Sharknado tonight at 9:00pm. A tornado in a Pacific storm that scoops up a bunch of uber-hungry Great Whites and rains them down like guided missiles on the L.A. townsfolk -- the disposable humans are just screaming fish-chum but our heroes are armed with chainsaws.

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE.

Here is a link to the trailer. I could swear that one of the sharks growls or roars before it munches a screaming human. It's like Ed Wood came back from the grave to give us one more gem. I wish I had SyFy.

- kelson h

post #15 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOL
Thanks Kelson.They even took a bite out of the ole
HOLLYWOOD sign.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Egad, Sharknado. REALLY? Is this like Sharktopus, Mansquito, Dinocroc and so on. These are all really bad, so bad they are supposedly entertaining. tongue.gifrolleyes.gifconfused.gif

On topic: I don't have a Grex, and have never used one, but I have friends who use them for dubbing projects, and they claim that the odd-shaped thing really does work.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #17 of 22 Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

They sure do!
post #18 of 22 Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

http://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-4-Grex-Video-Stabilizer/dp/B0096I2DNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373552302&sr=1-1&keywords=Dimax+Grex
I think I just may purchase one of these the next time I place a Amazon order, if I don't like it I'd think returning it may be easy.
I'm particular about brightness level and didn't really see any complaints about that in all the reviews. One of my Simas has passable black levels but the other 2 are way too bright, I'd like something that doesn't brighten the blacks at all, and also no to very little resolution degradation. At $89 shipped the cost isn't too bad.
On the downside, the thing is sure ugly eek.gif looks like some sort of pace maker device or something else I've seen but can't quite remember now.
Well I ordered one of these and I'm quite happy with it. It has none of the black level issues my Sima's or even cheaper component/HDMI to S-video converters do smile.gif I do notice a ever so slight degradation in resolution but using my DVD player as a source I'm able to bump up the sharpness just a tad to compensate. Even without the compensation the quality looks quite good(I'm using S-video in/out) and overall I'm pleased.
I kind of ordered this device on a lark, half thinking I'd return it because I wouldn't be happy with the quality but again I'm happy to report that I will not be returning it and will probably retire one of my Simas that overly brighten the passthru.
Oh and while I still think it looks very odd I was pleasantly surprised how small it was, from the picture it looks quite large but in reality it's not much larger than my Sima CT-2's, just a bit fatter in the middle.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the video filter is really about the same size as my Sima, as you say, the case is just a bit taller. Maybe that helps with the heat dissipation, because the Sima gets hot where the Video Filter does not.

Luke

post #20 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to clarify, I ordered and was commenting on the odd shaped Grex(video filter) not the Video Filter brand video filter smile.gif
Oh and the odd shaped Grex also does not get hot, my Sima does get warm to the touch though.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just to clarify, I ordered and was commenting on the odd shaped Grex(video filter) not the Video Filter brand video filter smile.gif
Oh and the odd shaped Grex also does not get hot, my Sima does get warm to the touch though.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Grex does have a very weird shape, but it is functional, which is the important thing. Glad to hear it does not run hot. After leaving it on for a time, my Sima can get rather warm.

Luke

post #22 of 22 Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

My old Sima eventually died, probably because of the heat factor. None of my other filters, Grex and Copiall, have ever had a problem.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page