DVD/VCR recorder hookup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to know how to hook up a DVD/VCR recorder to my home theater system. The unit has no tuner. I have a Yamaha A/V receiver,blu-ray player and HD cable box. The cable box and blu-ray player are connected to the receiver with HDMI cables and the receiver is connected to the HDTV with a HDMI cable. How do i connect this unit so it can record?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Your DVD recorder can only record from it's SD line inputs so you need to take the composite(or S-video outputs) from the device your trying to record(along with L&R audio) and run that directly to your recorder. Note that some HD cable boxes disable SD outputs if using HDMI output and most letterbox the SD output so you won't be betting full screen 16:9 recordings.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

So i would run a composite yellow,white and red cable from the cable box output to the DVD recorder imput?
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

So i would run a composite yellow,white and red cable from the cable box output to the DVD recorder imput?
That is generally how it is done but as jjeff noted, the output signal may be letterboxed or the cable box may shut off the composite output if the HDMI is connected. But in your case you should try a little experiment first. Your cable box goes into your AVR via HDMI. Connect your DVD recorder to the composite (yellow, white, red) output of your Yamaha and see what you get.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Would that be just one set of composite cables from the DVD recorder to the Yamaha receiver?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That is generally how it is done but as jjeff noted, the output signal may be letterboxed or the cable box may shut off the composite output if the HDMI is connected. But in your case you should try a little experiment first. Your cable box goes into your AVR via HDMI. Connect your DVD recorder to the composite (yellow, white, red) output of your Yamaha and see what you get.
You think connecting the DVD recorder to AV receiver would work as well as connecting it to the cable box?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

You think connecting the DVD recorder to AV receiver would work as well as connecting it to the cable box?

If the receiver outputs over composite as well as HDMI outputs when receiving a signal from an HDMI input. I don't know if your receiver does this (or if any do), but some have a "monitor out" with composite. It would help to know the Yamaha's model number.

Alternatively, you could hook up directly to the cable box, but as jjeff stated, your box may disable composite output if HDMI is hooked up. Might want to test it first.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

That is what the experiment is for. To see if you get output from the Yamaha and whether or not it is letter-boxed. It may give you an option if the cable box doesn't cooperate.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page