PANASONIC NOT FORMATING - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder, my older one broke a couple of years ago so I now have a similar one. I now cannot format any blanik DVD RW although I could previously, I now have to format on a sam e make recorder, but then can't play them on my recorder, it is very frustrating.

What can I do about this, it says its not formatted then shows the number of hours left to play, however when it records it comes up with an error, to say it wasn't all recorded!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsty213 View Post

I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder, my older one broke a couple of years ago so I now have a similar one. I now cannot format any blanik DVD RW although I could previously, I now have to format on a sam e make recorder, but then can't play them on my recorder, it is very frustrating.

What can I do about this, it says its not formatted then shows the number of hours left to play, however when it records it comes up with an error, to say it wasn't all recorded!

Perhaps basic diagnostic and DVD Drive servicing information might be helpful. See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a couple of Panasonic players in about the last 8 years, the DVD drive isn't that billiant as it only lasts a couple of years without cleaning. I have a DVD/video and freeview on my player which is good for about £300.

How do I use the cleaning disc on it, don't want to jump in an get a new one, the one I have is foreign, it shows CD and I don't know how to get to track 2 for english. Are there any easier cleaners, I don't want to risk taking it aprt as the video works OK and it does play some DVDs. HOw do I contact that man on here who repairs them?? What cleaner is the best>>
post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsty213 View Post

I have had a couple of Panasonic players in about the last 8 years, the DVD drive isn't that billiant as it only lasts a couple of years without cleaning. I have a DVD/video and freeview on my player which is good for about £300.

How do I use the cleaning disc on it, don't want to jump in an get a new one, the one I have is foreign, it shows CD and I don't know how to get to track 2 for english. Are there any easier cleaners, I don't want to risk taking it aprt as the video works OK and it does play some DVDs. HOw do I contact that man on here who repairs them?? What cleaner is the best>>

Look at the photos in my linked post. If you study the rubber hub atop the spindle (turntable) you will understand how the rubber hub is supposed to grip the DVD and clamp it to the guide wheel on the underside of the DVD Drive lid while spinning the DVD. (The Guide wheel is pictured in the post following the linked post.) If the rubber hub is dirty it will allow the DVD to slip during reading, writing or finalizing operations. That slippage is the most common cause of failures during those operations.

I don't use lens cleaning discs as they do not clean a dirty rubber hub-the most common problem with Panasonic DVD Recorders. That's why it's necessary to manually clean the rubber hub atop the DVD Drive spindle. My linked post describes and pictures the various cleaning procedures. Included in that post are two procedures that do not require opening the recorder and removing the DVD Drive lid.

Since your Panasonic has only occasional problems it needs only a simple cleaning, not repair.

Should your Panasonic need repair you should contact your nearest authorized Panasonic Service Centre. That information should be posted at the Panasonic UK website.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page