Panasonic DMR-EH55S ... suddenly and sporadically there's no sound when I'm trying to play a recorded show. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic DMR-EH55S ... suddenly and sporadically there's no sound when I'm trying to play a recorded show from this DVR. I've switched out the red/yellow/white connection between the TV and the DVR which helped for a while but apparently wasn't the real problem. Although I get no sound when watching on the DVR, if I copy the recorded show to a dvr disk and play it on a different player attached to a different tv - no problem - sound is fine. The sound is in the recording, just not coming thru when I play it on the EH55S. Thanks for any ideas.

Bob R .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
First thing to test is, the EH55 has two sets of audio outputs. Do both of them exhibit the intermittent audio problem? Is the audio intermittent through the HDMI output? Does the audio cut in and out if you are watching television routed through the EH55, or is it only when you are playing a recording? From your post it isn't entirely clear if it happens when you are playing a recording from the internal HDD and the DVD or just one of them? Does it happen with commercially pressed disks?
bobr2k likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'll do some more checking but in fact, the sound fails when watching TV thru the DVD and not just when playing from recorded shows. I'll also try a commercial dvd and see how it works. Thanks for the tips.

Bob R .
post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

It's no longer sporadic, commercial disks fail same as playing from the HD, straight viewing of TV thru the EH55 ... no sound only a buzzing sound as I turn the volume up. Church AV guy said "two sets of audio outputs" ... I've tried both to no avail.

Bob R .
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

I once got buzzing from a video cable I mistakenly connected to an audio input.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I once got buzzing from a video cable I mistakenly connected to an audio input.
I just checked the connections. Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow, TV only has two connections. TV direct works fine so I think those wires have to be right or I wouldn't get sound from the DVR to the TV. I guess it must be something in the speakers for the dvr ???

Bob R .
post #7 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What Wajo said! I too have had the buzzing sound from the audio when I accidentally connected the video line to an audio input. Yes, in my case, it was intermittent too! I never understood, but it seemed that the machine sometimes decided that the audio input was bad a muted it, but sometimes not. confused.gif That would not explain the audio output being bad from DVDs though.

I know it's a long shot, but have you tried the HDMI output to see if the audio works though there. If it too is bad, then you must have a bad component somewhere in the audio portion of the machine. I don't know if he does that level of work, but the best idea would be to contact the AVS member MICKINCT and talk to him about your issue. He has been the go-to guy for these things since Panasonic closed the repair facility. frown.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I was getting ready to try the HDMI output today. Thought I'd try it again just for kicks rolleyes.gif .
WHAT?eek.gif It's working? Maybe it's just old and tired ... I guess I'll hold my breath and wait for the NEXT chapter of this story. Thanks for the tips everyone.smile.gif

Bob R .
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page