Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gday all
I am new here and feeling my way.
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EH65) which must be 5 years old but has had very little use. It would have an analogue tuner. Is there any way to convert this for use with a new flatscreen digital television? I assume that the dvd recorder would need a digital tuner ( or something).

Any ideas as to how this might be achieved before we switch off analogue television transmitting in Sydney and convert fully to digital television..... or should I just scrap the dvd recorder ijnto the rubbish bin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippo42 View Post

Gday all
I am new here and feeling my way.
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EH65) which must be 5 years old but has had very little use. It would have an analogue tuner. Is there any way to convert this for use with a new flatscreen digital television? I assume that the dvd recorder would need a digital tuner ( or something).

Any ideas as to how this might be achieved before we switch off analogue television transmitting in Sydney and convert fully to digital television..... or should I just scrap the dvd recorder ijnto the rubbish bin?

Your DMR-EH65 will not become obsolete if you get a digital tuner (set-top-box) that the government says may be purchased for around $50:

http://www.digitalready.gov.au/how-to-switch/equipment/set-top-boxes

Here are some examples:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-audio/tvs/set-top-boxes-pvrs

http://www.strongshop.com.au/strongcomauwebsite/Manual/SRT5430%20English(20110127)%20final%20approval.pdf

http://www.cnet.com.au/topfield-tbf-100hd-339343326.htm#image1

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Gday DigaDo

Thanks for quick reply. My television is new and is therefore digital. It is the DVD recorder which is analogue so I understand from your reply that I can connect a set top box to the television and the recorder to the set top box and therefore record onto the hard drive in the recorder bypassing the analogue tv tuner.

I guess that I could not watch one channel while recording while watching another because I still only have an analogue tuner and the set top box will only relate to the channel showing on the box. In other words, it enables timeshifting to record a program when I am away from then television.

I have a spare set top box which I used before I got the digital television so I will try that with the analogue recorder and see how it goes.

Thanks DigaDo

Tippo
post #4 of 13 Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippo42 View Post

Gday DigaDo

Thanks for quick reply. My television is new and is therefore digital. It is the DVD recorder which is analogue so I understand from your reply that I can connect a set top box to the television and the recorder to the set top box and therefore record onto the hard drive in the recorder bypassing the analogue tv tuner.

I guess that I could not watch one channel while recording while watching another because I still only have an analogue tuner and the set top box will only relate to the channel showing on the box. In other words, it enables timeshifting to record a program when I am away from then television.

I have a spare set top box which I used before I got the digital television so I will try that with the analogue recorder and see how it goes.

Thanks DigaDo

Tippo

Tippo,

You would have to split your antenna output to feed the TV and the set-top-box or use two antennas. The set-top-box output is connected to an input on your recorder. That will allow you to record whatever the set-top-box is tuning while you could be watching another channel through the TV's own tuner. Of course you will use the TV's remote to select the input where your recorder output is connected whenever you want to watch the recorder's output.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #5 of 13 Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM

The DVD recorder does not require a tuner unless you receive your video from an off-air antenna. If subscribe to cable/satellite you would run composite cables (red/white/yellow) from your cable/satellite box to your DVD recorder. Your HDMI cable goes directly from your cable/satellite box to your TV. When you want to record turn your cable/satellite box on tuned to the channel the program is playing. Set your timer or start recording manually and the recorder will record the programming. If the programming is broadcast in HD you will get a very nice recording in 480i.

I record from DirecTV to a DVR. I then re-record the program from the DVR to my Pioneer 80GB Hard Drive recorder. From the Pioneer recorder I edit out the commercials. I have been doing this for years end up with excellent quality. I mostly record documentaries movies I always buy on Blu-ray/DVD.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM

I have a similar situation as previously discussed.
I have a Visio smart tv, which is capable of displaying YouTube video. This feature works well.
I also have a Philips analog video recorder which does not have a digital tuner.

I am able to output the cable box tv signal from both composite and HDMI ports at the same time, but when
viewing YouTube videos, the composite output remains at the last tv channel tuned. I have observed
this with the the composite output hooked to a second tv set. On the other hand, when not viewing
the YouTube video but a normal tv channel, the output from the composite ports on the cable box
are the same. The cable box is from Suddenlink and is a Pace PNG110.

By using the digital recorder composite input , I am able to record any of the normal tv channels. I would
like to hear from anyone who has had this situation and has found away to come up with a solution.
Thanks,
post #7 of 13 Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkopa View Post

By using the digital recorder composite input , I am able to record any of the normal tv channels. I would
like to hear from anyone who has had this situation and has found away to come up with a solution.
Thanks,
What situation are you referring to? The fact that you cannot record U-Tube videos on your DVDR?
Your DVDR gets its input from your cable box. Your cable box doesn't play the U-Tube videos, that is a function of your Smart-TV. So if you want to record U-Tube videos from your TV you have to see if your TV has a composite video monitor out port and L/R audio out. You would then feed these outputs to your DVDR for recording.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 13 Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM

I see I didn't make myself clear.

I can record video QAM signals with my analog DVDR by using the cable box Composite output to the DVDR composite input.. I cannot record the video as described using the HDMI output from the cable box.
By using the composite output from cable box to composite input to DVDR, I can record any/all channels. I know where the youTube signal comes from, the TV.
What happens when I open YouTube on the TV, the composite output to the DVDR is not the YouTube video, but a regular channel video.
Example: I am watching cable channel 5. HDMI and composite video is the same. I select You Tube on the tv, the HDMI signal changes to YouTube content but the composite output remains that of channel 5. My tv has several HDMI inputs as well as composite and A/V. The cable box has one HDMI output, one composite utput etc. I think the cable box is designed to block a recordable output to an analog device. Any answers? I don't want to shell out $14-20 a month for a digital recorder to record a few minutes of YouTube video.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

No, you made yourself clear, and so did Kelson.

The SmartTV functions, including YouTube, use your internet connection (wifi or wired) to send internet-sourced video to the TV. When watching YouTube, the HDMI port is not being used. Your cable box is still outputting the same channel you see on the composite connection via HDMI as well, but the TV is not viewing the HDMI connection, it is decoding the YouTube video coming in through your internet connection. You can't record YouTube videos you see on your TV, unless, as Kelson said, you have a composite output from the TV that outputs what you are seeing on the TV. Even if the TV has such output (unlikely), it's possible it may not output SmartTV video.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
@ ozarkopa
Your cable set-top box has nothing to do with receiving or playing U-Tube videos. That is a function of your Smart-TV. If your TV does not have composite monitor out jacks, you will have to buy a separate media streamer, like a RoKu, that has composite or S-Video outputs that can be connected to your DVDR. Even then, there is always the possibility that the on-line content could be copy-protected and attempts to record it will fail. In that case you would have to buy yet another box to filter out the copy-protection.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #11 of 13 Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I think the cable box is designed to block a recordable output to an analog device.

Nope, the cable box should output analog video just fine. The problem is the Youtube app isn't on the cable box but in the TV. That unit needs to send the video to the recorder.

Honestly, if you want to keep Youtube videos, just download some software on your computer that will capture it. If you want to play it on your TV, either use the app or if your TV is on the same network, it should stream the captured video on the computer's hard drive. I know my smart TV can.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 13 Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks for all the input. I have the ability to stream my desktop to tv, so will just go that route. Incidentally, I have no plans to record/copy copyrighted data.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I have the ability to stream my desktop to tv, so will just go that route. Incidentally, I have no plans to record/copy copyrighted data.

One of my setups allows me to stream youtube and other internet material and record it with Panasonic DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD Recorders.

This LKV2000 converter may be found here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

Here is the stereo audio cable for use with the recorder:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page